• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

kanaifu

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Is the new Retro look here to stay?

Total Posts: 56

Joined 2003-11-21

PM

@ Jatsie - Thanks for that post, it beautifully articulated my own thoughts on the matter.

@thejobloshow - I may be a little daft, ‘cause I actually find those images equally beautiful in their own way.

And I also think you are being a little unfair on Daedalic, using Deponia as an example of bad animation. Sure, it may not be to your liking, but they’ve already proven themselves in that department with The Whispered World so my guess is they are deliberately trying a different approach here, like they did with Edna & Harvey. Of course, it might also be that they are having their hands full of ongoing projects nowadays and just find that the meticulous animation of WW is too time-consuming for them to bother, but I somehow doubt it.

No good deed goes unpunished

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

The old pixellated style CAN be pretty… I just don’t find many of these modern games to be very pretty. The talent for creating stunning backgrounds and atmosphere from a few dozen pixels seems to have gone downhill. I just prefer this or this...... to this or this.

Total Posts: 39

Joined 2011-02-13

PM

I’m FINE with pixel art and low res. The problem is our difference of interpretation. To you it is strictly a low budget alternative that compromises detail (a.k.a. realism or articulateness) and is merely to be tolerated but not accepted as part of the norm. In my opinion, a form of prejudice.

To me it is a creative choice to be accepted, no different than cutting edge 3D or hand painted graphics, with its own criterion of beauty. To better express my neutrality towards pixel art/low res, it is like complaining about a movie that was shot in 16mm or black and white, as opposed to 65mm or IMAX. I really could care less. That’s not an indictment against you. I literally could care less. Just give me a good game.

Now, there is such a thing as crappy pixel art, no less than there is crappy 3D or high res assets. However, Reasonance looks bee-you-tee-ful.

Total Posts: 444

Joined 2012-03-30

PM

I agree with Jatsie wholeheartedly. I adored the impressionism comparison Smile

Pixel art is definitely a distinct visual style meant for people who like that style. It has nothing to do with low budget or mediocre creativity. I think it’s way easier and cheaper to make a static first person adventure with decent rendered images for example.

So, I’m for variety too. There has to be a game for everyone.  The more, the merrier

Total Posts: 77

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Peter254 - 09 June 2012 02:56 AM

I really could care less. That’s not an indictment against you. I literally could care less. Just give me a good game.

You mean you could not care less.

If you could care less, you’re saying you do find it somewhat important after all.

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

maladroid - 08 June 2012 11:58 PM

And I also think you are being a little unfair on Daedalic, using Deponia as an example of bad animation.

I just mentioned it because it’s an adventure game. I like Daedalic and Deponia is on my hype meter but I’m really turned off by automatic interpolation. An artist crafts these attractive character models and then subjects them to South Park level animation and makes them feel flat. This is probably just a personal preference though and I’m being selfish. However, I prefer full or smear animation or, like many of the old graphical adventures with their retro look, motion capture. Is that more of a legitimate criticism to have rather than a game’s resolution?

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

I don’t mind the look at all but I agree that it is possible to overuse it. So far I’ve enjoyed WadjetEye games and thought they looked nice. I agree that it’s more about the art style, though I would definitely take these games with high res too. Overall I think it’s a good thing people can make great games without huge investments.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 5

Joined 2004-12-07

PM

I just wanted to chime it to say that I disagree with everything “thejobloshow” said. Maybe he/she’s just trolling though.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

skurken - 09 June 2012 03:48 PM

I just wanted to chime it to say that I disagree with everything “thejobloshow” said. Maybe he/she’s just trolling though.

i dont know Thejobloshow and he is not my friend , but you should accuse some by trolling when he taking the effort to say what he is convinced and his own opinion and i am convinced with all he said as well

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

skurken - 09 June 2012 03:48 PM

I take pride that your first post on the new forum is about me getting under your skin. “I like how Botanicula looks so you’re wrong. Tremble at my emotional appeals.”

I stand by everything I said.

Total Posts: 56

Joined 2003-11-21

PM

thejobloshow - 09 June 2012 08:38 AM

I prefer full or smear animation or, like many of the old graphical adventures with their retro look, motion capture. Is that more of a legitimate criticism to have rather than a game’s resolution?

I would definitely consider this a more valid criticism, as I am also more interested in the artistic merit of a game’s visual aspects than the technical side of them. I can see what you mean when you say some old, pixelated games featured more fluid animation by utilising motion capture and thus the final result was more appealing than some of today’s output.

I do find it misleading to compare different visual styles, though, like you did with Botanicula and BASS, especially if you pre-assume everyone believes that one should clearly be considered superior to the other. As far as comparisons go, a more fair point of reference might be something like a Blackwell game against Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers, because they are more or less trying to achieve a similar “feel” in their imagery. But even then, I wouldn’t consider anyone who picks Blackwell‘s art style over GKs “daft”.

No good deed goes unpunished

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

i dont mind the “retro look”. What i do mind is retro interfaces and mechanics, specifically the parts that made them frustrating or confusing. So as long as the game plays smoothly (in addition to good story and puzzle design), il play anything.

Total Posts: 278

Joined 2008-07-11

PM

I love detailed pixel art and fluid 2D animation because it requires real skill and artistry to produce. It also holds the nostalgia factor that I enjoy, mainly because it’s a visual style completely unique to video games. That doesn’t mean all “retro” styled games look good to me, because it’s just as easy to create poor 2D art as it is to create poor 3D art.

Games like Resonance and Blackwell Convergence are in a strange middle ground because the background art would look better at higher resolutions, but is downsized and appears pixelated because of engine restrictions. In these cases, I can understand why people would prefer the games in higher res, but to me they’re fine.

Total Posts: 40

Joined 2011-12-15

PM

I love pixel art and consequentially, games made with this art, chiefly adventure games.

I’m not implying anything about the OP, but usually, of the people I know that don’t like old-school graphics, they are mostly kiddies born in the 90s onward with a Playstation/N64 right off the womb. They also say “Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin? This is shit man, you should listen to real music, like Justin Bieber and 50cent”.

Total Posts: 946

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

bulak - 10 June 2012 06:21 PM

I’m not implying anything about the OP,

Grin

but usually, of the people I know that don’t like old-school graphics,

Correction: I don’t like the mock old-school style.

they are mostly kiddies born in the 90s onward with a Playstation/N64 right off the womb. They also say “Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin? This is shit man, you should listen to real music, like Justin Bieber and 50cent”.

What! Justin Bieber and 50cent? This is shit man, you should listen to real music, like The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Bob Dylan and The Band, Pink Floyd, Frank Zappa, Jefferson Airplane, Neil Young, Jimmy Hendrix, Janis Joplin, The Who.

Guess my age.  Tongue Tongue Tongue

Now playing: ——-
Recently finished: don’t remember
Up next:  Eh…
Looking forward to:
Ithaka of the Clouds; The Last Crown; all the kickstarter adventure games I supported

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top