• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

apignarb

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Two Guys from Andromeda (Space Quest creators) on Kickstarter

Total Posts: 192

Joined 2006-08-07

PM

Jabod - 12 June 2012 10:17 AM

You cannot do the bit I’ve put in bold on Kickstarter. If found out you lose everything that has been pledged. There will be ways of course but the penalty is rather high if caught.

That’s what I thought. But apparently you can pledge small amounts. Well, whatever. Project is funded! Woohoo!

Total Posts: 70

Joined 2004-02-18

PM

Congrats to them. Now let’s see if they can actually produce a good game. I’m kinda doubtful, and I’m glad the Kickstarter managed so well in the last days because I didn’t _really_ want to pledge, but was planning to do it if needed, because I think it’s good for the community and genre that it got funded.

Total Posts: 643

Joined 2006-09-24

PM

Kolorabi - 12 June 2012 01:45 PM

Congrats to them. Now let’s see if they can actually produce a good game. I’m kinda doubtful, and I’m glad the Kickstarter managed so well in the last days because I didn’t _really_ want to pledge, but was planning to do it if needed, because I think it’s good for the community and genre that it got funded.

LOL.

“I’m glad they got funded because I don’t think they’ll make a good game.”

(this post is a joke)

Total Posts: 70

Joined 2004-02-18

PM

inm8#2 - 12 June 2012 01:46 PM

LOL.

(this post is a joke)

Joke or not, I suppose I was unclear.

I’m glad they got funded because it’s clear that there’s a lot of people in the community who wants a new game from them, and I am curious to see what they’ll make. Plus, I like how varied the genre is becoming, and it’s pretty clear that this will be a game designed in a way that’s very different from, say, Telltale’s recent output.

On the other hand, I didn’t much like the old Space Quest games, and I don’t really think they’ll be able to improve on them after a 20 year hiatus. So it’s not a game I’m expecting to enjoy personally. That’s why I didn’t really wish to pledge anything myself, but I was prepared to take part in the final push today if needed.

Total Posts: 40

Joined 2006-11-08

PM

Remember that you can still fund SpaceVenture, via paypal, if you missed your change during the kickstarter! http://guysfromandromeda.com/contribute-paypal/ All of the same tiers still apply, except for specific items that are designated as Kickstarter exclusive.

“That was, without a doubt, one of the finest examples of bunny snatching I’ve ever seen!”  - Narrator, Space Quest 4: Roger Wilco and the Time Rippers

Twitter: @TravisAC85

Total Posts: 298

Joined 2004-08-15

PM

Kolorabi - 12 June 2012 01:45 PM

I felt the same way. I canceled my pledge after the project had reached its goal comfortably.

Total Posts: 966

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

Kolorabi - 12 June 2012 05:18 PM
inm8#2 - 12 June 2012 01:46 PM

LOL.

(this post is a joke)

Joke or not, I suppose I was unclear.

I’m glad they got funded because it’s clear that there’s a lot of people in the community who wants a new game from them, and I am curious to see what they’ll make. Plus, I like how varied the genre is becoming, and it’s pretty clear that this will be a game designed in a way that’s very different from, say, Telltale’s recent output.

On the other hand, I didn’t much like the old Space Quest games, and I don’t really think they’ll be able to improve on them after a 20 year hiatus. So it’s not a game I’m expecting to enjoy personally. That’s why I didn’t really wish to pledge anything myself, but I was prepared to take part in the final push today if needed.

This is sort of how I felt about the Jane Jensen one, although I do like the Gabriel Knight games ok, they’re not sentimental favorites by any stretch and her more recent output hasn’t blown me away. I don’t expect I’ll even bother to play Moebius. But I made a small pledge to her campaign out of respect and a desire to see her studio get rolling.

That said, I’m a big fan of the Space Quest series, I love the writing and I feel they improved as they went along. I think this new project brings something unique to the table that the others do not, and that is a really firm commitment to old-school adventure game design. This is a game with deaths, verbs, a goddamn text parser… It’s the only one of these projects that really is trying to be like an early 90s game.

I totally get why that wouldn’t appeal to some people, but frankly, I’m excited. I’m also excited to see the new Tex Murphy for the opposite reason; They were always really smart about finding ways to evolve the genre without dumbing it down, and their games always felt very cutting edge. So I’d like to see what years of experience and technological progress do for that game.

All of these high profile Kickstarter adventure projects bring something unique to the table. I pledged to all five, albeit in different amounts.

Total Posts: 946

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

ozzie - 13 June 2012 04:41 PM

I felt the same way. I canceled my pledge after the project had reached its goal comfortably.

Heh. Me too. And felt vaguely guilty about cancelling, but I’d only pledged because I didn’t want to see them fail, out of respect for the Space Quest series.

Now playing: ——-
Recently finished: don’t remember
Up next:  Eh…
Looking forward to:
Ithaka of the Clouds; The Last Crown; all the kickstarter adventure games I supported

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

Fien - 13 June 2012 05:48 PM
ozzie - 13 June 2012 04:41 PM

Heh. Me too. And felt vaguely guilty about cancelling, but I’d only pledged because I didn’t want to see them fail, out of respect for the Space Quest series.

I think that’s perfectly fine. I really appreciated the camaraderie in the last few days - celebrities and game designers were tweeting about the project, people from other Kickstarters throwing in a few bucks even if they weren’t into the series and fans were giving away very rare production art and products from Sierra On-Line’s history just to help the Two Guys not to mention Ken and Roberta coming out of hiding. Just all amazing to watch - these past few months I will never forget.

Total Posts: 8

Joined 2003-09-16

PM

That’s strange. To this day, Amazon still hasn’t pulled any funds for the project from my Creditcard.

Anyone else experiencing this?

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later we all push up flowers.

Total Posts: 966

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

VoodooFX - 14 June 2012 01:29 AM

That’s strange. To this day, Amazon still hasn’t pulled any funds for the project from my Creditcard.

Anyone else experiencing this?

Yes, it’s because they haven’t verified their Amazon account yet (fools!) and nothing can be processed until they do.

Total Posts: 40

Joined 2006-11-08

PM

Update: Stretch goals announced, and they are pretty awesome Smile

550k - Translations (German, French, and I think Spanish, with Portuguese a possibility)
600k - Cluck Y’egger mini game (launched from the game menu)
625k - Cluck Y’egger animated graphic novel drawn by Mark Crowe.
650k - An additional level in the game featuring a playable female protagonist.
700k - EGA graphics mode

More Cluck? Classic EGA mode? Awesome! Playing the game in EGA mode will definitely make me feel nostalgic SmileIt seems like it might be like the Monkey Island special editions, where you could switch back and forth between the old and the new.

“That was, without a doubt, one of the finest examples of bunny snatching I’ve ever seen!”  - Narrator, Space Quest 4: Roger Wilco and the Time Rippers

Twitter: @TravisAC85

Total Posts: 179

Joined 2004-01-25

PM

EGA mode would be mega awesome.

Total Posts: 106

Joined 2010-10-27

PM

I thought this Kickstarter was over…

Total Posts: 212

Joined 2005-10-07

PM

I’m rather pleased that the stretch goals contain nothing I care about, so now I needn’t worry about what happens.

It looks like they’re closed to making the first one anyway, so I’ll just be happy for the Europeans.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top