• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Two Guys from Andromeda (Space Quest creators) on Kickstarter

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

^yeah, projects that failed will absolutely come up in the search. However, portal for some reason is not coming up.. so i think thats some kindv anomaly.
EDIT: oh i understand, its because portal was cancelled. Only projects that go past their deadline without being funded show up in the search, if a project is pulled before the deadline it doesnt.

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

From the Kickstarter FAQ http://www.kickstarter.com/help/faq/creators#Disc

Are projects that were not successfully funded browsable on Kickstarter?

Kickstarter doesn’t have a browse area for projects whose funding was unsuccessful, however unsuccessfully funded projects are accessible through Kickstarter’s search and the profile pages of the project’s creator and backers. When users click on a creator’s profile they can see all of the creator’s past projects — successfully and unsuccessfully funded.

In terms of external search (Google, Bing, etc), Kickstarter de-indexes projects whose funding was unsuccessful. This means that unsuccessfully funded projects don’t show up in those search results. This was implemented after receiving many requests from former project creators who were finding their unsuccessfully funded projects ranking extremely high — in some cases as the #1 result — in Google searches for their name.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 966

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

Lucien21 - 10 June 2012 10:27 AM

And how would you know that. Kickstarter does a very good job of hiding it’s failures.

You can only search for ongoing or funded projects.

Kicktraq.com

Also, Kickstarter put out some data about a year ago that said of the 20,000 campaigns at that time, only one had ever failed at 90+%. And even then the only projects that fail with anything over 70 or 80% are the ones with small goals and less than 500 backers.

Total Posts: 212

Joined 2005-10-07

PM

$450k, 45 hours to go. They’re certainly going to take the award for the most suspenseful end to a campaign.

harald - 10 June 2012 12:45 PM

Also, you can’t back your own project. If this is going to pull through, it’s up to the backers; the Two Guys can’t add any funds themselves.

Well, the limitation is that you can’t back a project via the same account that started the project. If however you have another account then you can back it through that.

So, the Two Guys From Andromeda account can’t back the project, but Scott Murphy and Mark Crowe both have their own personal accounts, and are already backing it that way, so feasibly they could increase their pledge to make up any short fall if necessary.

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

they should be fine. Theyv been averaging 20kish per day in crunch time. And theyr going to get more than that on the last day. So i’d predict theyr going to end with somewhere around 530-550k

Total Posts: 192

Joined 2006-08-07

PM

Jatsie - 10 June 2012 04:29 PM

Well, the limitation is that you can’t back a project via the same account that started the project. If however you have another account then you can back it through that.

So, the Two Guys From Andromeda account can’t back the project, but Scott Murphy and Mark Crowe both have their own personal accounts, and are already backing it that way, so feasibly they could increase their pledge to make up any short fall if necessary.

This is, again, from the FAQ on Kickstarter:

I pledged to my own project from another account, and now my Amazon Payments account is canceled?!

Warning! Credit card rules forbid project creators from paying themselves. Any pledges made by a project creator to themselves may cause Amazon to cancel a project creator’s Amazon account, making it impossible to receive or remove funds.

While Kickstarter prevents project creators from backing their own projects from the same Kickstarter account, Amazon will detect if the project creator uses a new Kickstarter account and/or a new Amazon account to make the pledge. Amazon looks for the credit card info as well as other primary information to determine if a party is attempting to pay itself. This is not an Amazon-specific policy — this type of transaction is considered an attempt to create a “cash advance” and is forbidden by all credit card companies.

From what I gather, they might have some trouble with Amazon for backing their own project. And it’s not really difficult to see why it’s a questionable thing to do.

Joined 2005-10-07

PM

harald - 10 June 2012 04:38 PM

This is, again, from the FAQ on Kickstarter:

I pledged to my own project from another account, and now my Amazon Payments account is canceled?!

Warning! Credit card rules forbid project creators from paying themselves. Any pledges made by a project creator to themselves may cause Amazon to cancel a project creator’s Amazon account, making it impossible to receive or remove funds.

While Kickstarter prevents project creators from backing their own projects from the same Kickstarter account, Amazon will detect if the project creator uses a new Kickstarter account and/or a new Amazon account to make the pledge. Amazon looks for the credit card info as well as other primary information to determine if a party is attempting to pay itself. This is not an Amazon-specific policy — this type of transaction is considered an attempt to create a “cash advance” and is forbidden by all credit card companies.

From what I gather, they might have some trouble with Amazon for backing their own project. And it’s not really difficult to see why it’s a questionable thing to do.

Well, I assume that they set up a separate bank account for their company when they founded it, so under that circumstance they wouldn’t technically be paying themselves, as a company has its own distinct legal identity, separate from the people who own it.

I only raise this possibility as I did notice in previous campaigns that, for example, members of the team developing the LSL remake had backed the Replay Games Kickstarter via their personal accounts, etc.

Total Posts: 192

Joined 2006-08-07

PM

I hope you’re right Jatsie, and I suppose you probably are. But I don’t understand what the point of throwing a few bucks into their own project is. Unless they really are pledging considerable amounts, in which case they could have just lowered the project goal. I’d understand if Amazon found it fishy, but I hope they won’t. And if the Replay folks got away with it, I suppose the Two Guys will too.

Total Posts: 966

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

harald - 10 June 2012 05:03 PM

I hope you’re right Jatsie, and I suppose you probably are. But I don’t understand what the point of throwing a few bucks into their own project is. Unless they really are pledging considerable amounts, in which case they could have just lowered the project goal. I’d understand if Amazon found it fishy, but I hope they won’t. And if the Replay folks got away with it, I suppose the Two Guys will too.

You can’t lower your goal after the fact, and in the case of Two Guys I think they may have shot a little higher than absolutely necessary, probably because they seem to be budgeting a lot for acting talent. So it’s not absurd to me to think that they might find a corner to cut if it’s the difference between making it or not.

That said, I have no doubt they’ll hit the goal without the need at this point. Their momentum is very high and they still have time. I’ve seen projects with less backers do $100,000 on their last day, and they only have $48,000 to go in over a day and a half.

Total Posts: 8

Joined 2012-06-09

PM

Okay: What we’ve all been waiting for is here!

Introducing an EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW With none of than The man with the Golden pipes, himself: GARY OWENS!!!

This was posted on the Kickstarter page by Warbird Games: ‘‘This is my tribute to Space Quest. Please share it with people who’ve forgotten all the great times they had in the twisted universe of Scott and Mark: youtu.be/j4qMKZzLebM?a’‘

Check it out and share it with everyone because it’s a great reminder of why we all liked or like Space Quest and the Two Guys!

Also: 50k to go boys and girls, if you can up your pledge, please do! If not, thank you for backing in the first place and you’ve been a real pantload!

Total Posts: 8

Joined 2012-06-09

PM

A very big new development in the SpaceVenture Kickstarter Community, Folks!

WIN SOME CLASSICS! PLEDGE AT LEAST $30 TO HAVE A CHANCE!

A fan, Rudy Marchant is offering up something for everyone to take part in.

with more than 90% of the goal reached, pledger Rudy Marchant gives the fans even more reason to contribute to the cause! He will give away three ultra-rare highly-collectible Sierra games to three randomly picked fans who pledged $30 or more!

Click here to read on: http://guysfromandromeda.com/win-classics-pledge-30-chance/

Just think! If we can get this bastard funded before the end of the campaign, we should see some nifty Stretch goals being established!

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

It’s show time. Don’t let me down, Internet.

By the way, here’s an AWESOME heavy metal medley of Space Quest IV to get you all in the mood for today:

Joined 2005-10-07

PM

Lucien21 - 07 June 2012 03:28 PM

When you look at the surprising figures you will see that this project has more backers than the Tex game, but they are averaging less.

$472k with 9,359 backers   = $50 each

compared to

$510k with 5,778 backers   = $88 each

If every current backer increased their pledge by about $18 they would make their target.

I was doing a little maths earlier because I found this interesting. If you focus exclusively on the $15 tier on both campaigns, this accounts for 52% of Tex Murphy’s backers, and similarly 55% of SpaceVenture backers. So when you add this to the fact that Tex has 38% fewer backers, yet 8% more money pledged, it indicates that the real difference is that the people pledging the very high amounts are pledging significantly more than on the SpaceVenture campaign.

I’d be curious to see if this is just down to some inherent differences in the fan base, or if it has something to do with the rewards offered by each campaign.

Total Posts: 40

Joined 2006-11-08

PM

Ok Guys, we are down to 26 hours left, and we are close! C’mon, lets put this over the top!

“That was, without a doubt, one of the finest examples of bunny snatching I’ve ever seen!”  - Narrator, Space Quest 4: Roger Wilco and the Time Rippers

Twitter: @TravisAC85

Total Posts: 61

Joined 2005-11-23

PM

I wasn’t sure about this one but decided to pledge after all. I sure hope it’s going to make it!

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top