• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Keybordz

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Two Guys from Andromeda (Space Quest creators) on Kickstarter

Total Posts: 70

Joined 2006-05-18

PM

I’ve upped my pledge to the limit I can go - and I’m worried. Even if they did 28K the rest of the way it’d be short…it’d be mighty close.

I think you’re right, though, the # of backers makes it easier than getting new people.

But - I’m watching this one close. Glad Tex made it with time to spare.

“The ability to dream is all I have to give. That is my responsibility; that is my burden. And even I grow tired.”
― Harlan Ellison, Stalking the Nightmare

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

All they’d have to do is have a video of the Two Guys politely asking lower tier backers to up their pledge. Al Lowe did the exact same thing and it caused huge bumps to the final amount.

EDIT: Speak of the devil! From the Kickstarter…

Al Lowe mentioned this project on his latest Cyberjoke newsletter. Here’s his message:
Mark Crowe created all the art for Leisure Suit Larry in the Land of the Lounge Lizards. Then he teamed up with Scott Murphy and together they created one of the funniest adventure game series every: Space Quest. Now they have a Kickstarter campaign to create a new funny space game together. They’re close to their goal, but need a last minute push. Won’t you please consider helping them? I did.

DOUBLE EDIT:

There’s going to be a live chat with Ken Williams today at 7:45am PST / 10:45am EST!!!!!!!!

http://kickstarter.com/projects/spaceventure/two-guys-spaceventure-by-the-creators-of-space-que/posts/242816?ref=activity

Total Posts: 212

Joined 2005-10-07

PM

Oh wow, they dug out Ken? That’s quite exciting, no one has heard from him properly in years.

Total Posts: 40

Joined 2006-11-08

PM

Ken Williams live with Chris Pope right now! http://www.twitch.tv/andromedaguys

“That was, without a doubt, one of the finest examples of bunny snatching I’ve ever seen!”  - Narrator, Space Quest 4: Roger Wilco and the Time Rippers

Twitter: @TravisAC85

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

it’ll be close, probably to the last day, but i find it pretty likely that theyr going to make it. Theres nothing unusual about getting around what they made on the first day, for the last day.

Total Posts: 133

Joined 2006-02-14

PM

I do want the project to succeed, but I still do not find the game interesting enough to pledge, since I’m very unsure if I’d ever play it.

I like the death scenes and the descriptions, and the backgrounds in the newest “interactive sketch” are very pretty, but I really dislike the end of the sketches where the two guys basically go on about how awesome they are, we are their humble slaves and go give them more money because they’re awesome!! The patronizing humour of that sequence just puts me off completely since I have no reference point to their humour or game design. I still wish they had a bit more “universal” message, for people who haven’t played Space quest and don’t know how “awesome” they are.

Was also really disappointed with the announced protagonist. I don’t need the protagonist to be beautiful or perfect, but the yuckyness and poo-jokes just put me off. I do not like yucky things..

I play story-heavy games, watch animation, anime, B-movies, disaster movies, sci-fi movies and crime shows and try to write about it all on my blog: Snark, pedantry and random geekery

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

It sounds like you took it a little personally….

Total Posts: 643

Joined 2006-09-24

PM

The pledging and newcomer backers in the past two days have been insanely good. This project will be fine after all! Because I splurged a bit on Jane’s kickstarter, I have to be frugal with others like Tex and Two Guys.

Not to come off the wrong way, but I hope this is the last project with major developers from the past for at least a few months. I’m all kickstarter’d out and my wallet is pleading with me to stop. Wink

Total Posts: 212

Joined 2005-10-07

PM

Panthera - 08 June 2012 07:36 PM

I really dislike the end of the sketches where the two guys basically go on about how awesome they are, we are their humble slaves and go give them more money because they’re awesome!! The patronizing humour of that sequence just puts me off completely since I have no reference point to their humour or game design.

I think it’s intended to be purposely over the top, exaggerated to the point that you know no one would ever be so egotistical, and that’s wherein the humour of it is supposed to lie. If you listen to any of the recordings of their live chats then you’ll see that they’re pretty down to Earth guys, so that part of the “prototype” is really just tongue-in-cheek.

Total Posts: 406

Joined 2006-04-21

PM

inm8#2 - 08 June 2012 10:59 PM

The pledging and newcomer backers in the past two days have been insanely good. This project will be fine after all! Because I splurged a bit on Jane’s kickstarter, I have to be frugal with others like Tex and Two Guys.

Not to come off the wrong way, but I hope this is the last project with major developers from the past for at least a few months. I’m all kickstarter’d out and my wallet is pleading with me to stop. Wink

It’s exactly the same for me… I put down what I could for Jane, and need to put less for Tex and Spaceventure. I just wish they both had a non collectors disc version around the 30-50 dollar mark. I like to get my games non digitally where I can, but can’t afford the 100 dollars for both. 50 bucks each would be perfect…

The real problem with reality is the lack of background music.

Knightette of the Order of the Caption

Music is what feelings sound like…

Total Posts: 8

Joined 2012-06-09

PM

Okay! Please forgive me if I am bringing up things already known, I’m just trying to make sure the internet is updated with all the latest information on this glorious Kickstarter so bare with me, peoples! Viva La SpaceVenture!

Just wanted to give a shout out to these awesome Space Quest fans who made this little one room mini adventure in support of the Two Guys Kickstarter in these last few days!

http://www.spacequest.net/index.php/page/index.html/_/news/fans-release-pledge-quest-to-support-r41

Check it out because its BRILLIANT & FUNNY!

Also: Have you gotten a look at the stars of the show: Meet Ace Hardway, His faithful robotic Toolbox Dog Rooter & Cluck Y’Egger!

?1338933652

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=d92HS_4Vp-o Cluck Y’EGGER SPEAKS!

Also for your convenience the two guys have Created an Official Inventory VIEWER so you can see what your rewards may
or may not be depending on your wallet!: ?1339160210

Want to know what the hell Ken Williams has been up to and hear him reminisce about the good ol’ Days of Compuserve and the Imagination Network? OH YEAH YOU DO: http://guysfromandromeda.com/ken-williams-joins-chris-pope-live-interv iew-6812/

Oh look! A Video interview with Ellen GLaDOS herself:

THIS is a BIG Item folks: Introducing the official Two Guys from Andromeda REDDIT AMA!!! This was a good one with lots of info to be gleaned for what to expect from this SpaceVenture: http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/upxvi/iam_we_are_guys_from_andromeda_sc ott_murphy_and/

Her husband joins the fray too! (also a voice actor for this space gig): http://www.twitch.tv/andromedaguys/b/320792121

Did I miss anything? I hope this whets your appetite, shows you how ridiculously hardworking and imaginative these guys have been and makes you want to pledge or up that pledge!

Total Posts: 966

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

Whether or not it is, it will be for me. I’m Kickstartered out.

I fee like with Jane, Larry, Double Fine, Two Guys, and Tex we will have accomplished something we’ve wanted to for years; Gotten some of the best minds the genre’s ever had back in the saddle (Ok, Jane never really left), and if what we believe—that adventure games have a market if only the A-list talent were making them—is true, then these five games should be enough to prove that point.

And if a few of them succeed financially, it will open doors beyond Kickstarter. It’ll show publishers that these games are profitable and worth making.

It’s Kickstarter, not Kick-keep-it-going-er. We’ve given adventure games (and especially comedy adventure games) a second chance here, and now it’s up to them and up to the market.

Total Posts: 8

Joined 2012-06-09

PM

Brilliant post.

I would comment more in depth but I’m busy spreading the word!

Glad you feel so passionately about this Adventure Game Renaissance though! More later, buddy!

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Frogacuda - 09 June 2012 07:28 AM

Whether or not it is, it will be for me. I’m Kickstartered out.

I fee like with Jane, Larry, Double Fine, Two Guys, and Tex we will have accomplished something we’ve wanted to for years; Gotten some of the best minds the genre’s ever had back in the saddle (Ok, Jane never really left), and if what we believe—that adventure games have a market if only the A-list talent were making them—is true, then these five games should be enough to prove that point.

And if a few of them succeed financially, it will open doors beyond Kickstarter. It’ll show publishers that these games are profitable and worth making.

It’s Kickstarter, not Kick-keep-it-going-er. We’ve given adventure games (and especially comedy adventure games) a second chance here, and now it’s up to them and up to the market.

Well, the last few months have shown that a market without publishers is better for adventure gamers in terms of getting games out there. It’s better for everyone concerned - the fans, the developers. Everyone except the publishers, who never really did anything anyway. The only thing now is to wait and see if the quality is up to scratch - which it may not be considering the funding is already there and developers don’t have to break their backs winning over buyers.

Total Posts: 966

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

Oscar - 09 June 2012 08:16 AM

Well, the last few months have shown that a market without publishers is better for adventure gamers in terms of getting games out there. It’s better for everyone concerned - the fans, the developers. Everyone except the publishers, who never really did anything anyway. The only thing now is to wait and see if the quality is up to scratch - which it may not be considering the funding is already there and developers don’t have to break their backs winning over buyers.

Look, publishers aren’t just lunks that like first-person shooters. They’re investors and they don’t like to gamble, so they invest based on observable trends in the market. They don’t want to invest in old brands or niche genres because there’s no tangible metric that shows there’s a market willing to pay for them.

But if that changes, publishers will change their tune as well. It’s not that publishers don’t like adventure games, but they need someone else to take the risk for them and show this is for real. Trust me when I say that publishers are looking very closely at this Kickstarter trend and they want to see where it goes.

And that’s a good thing. Crowdsourcing can’t support an entire genre forever, nor should it have to. That’s not good for consumers, either.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top