• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

apignarbchrissie

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Have you experienced Game Transfer Phenomena?

Total Posts: 5

Joined 2012-06-06

PM

Game Transfer Phenomena (GTP) is the transfer of video game experiences to the real world; like hearing, seeing or doing things in real life as in the video game.

You are welcome to participated in the survey, there you can read other players experiences and check if you have experienced GTP and what types.

I am doing this research as part of my PhD but the results will be published in my blog.
It takes approximately 10 minutes to complete the survey.

http://www.gametransferphenomena.com/survey.html

You are welcome to visit my website where you can find more information about the GTP project, join my Facebook group and check out my blog.

Total Posts: 33

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

I just filled in the survey, interesting topic you are researching.

Currently playing: Starcraft II
Recently finished: Resonance, Tex Murphy: Pandora Directive, Diablo 3

Joined 2012-06-06

PM

Jubilee - 06 June 2012 11:37 PM

I just filled in the survey, interesting topic you are researching.

Thank you!!! Smile

I will publish the result in my blog.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Very interesting topic! I’ve filled out the survey.
Apparently, when thinking about it, GTP seems to happen a lot more than I’d ever guessed.

A lot of it gets attributed to “force of habit”, though. I mean, half the time I instinctively move into “gaming mode” at work, where instead of placing my fingers on asdf and jklm, I go for left shift + asd and the mouse (or sometimes even the arrow keys) instead (which is how I usually sit when gaming).

Nothing I worry about, though. It’s not like it’s distorting my sense of reality or anything.
Does it really go *that* far for some people???

Btw, I just thought of a question that wasn’t included in the survey, but could potentially be of importance (not that I claim to know anything about the subject, but still):
“When did you start gaming regularly?”

I’ve been gaming regularly for over 20 years now, so I reckon I should be a bit more susceptible to GTP than others who have been gaming regularly for only a few months or years?

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2012-06-06

PM

The purpose of my PhD project is to clarify and demystify players phenomenological experiences in order to maximize the benefits of interactive media, as well as to understand automatic mental, physiological and behaviour processes that can be relevant in different areas of the sciences.

Your participation is important.

Here you can read an interesting article about GTP:
http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg21228441.600-levelup-life-how-gaming-can-enhance-your-reality.html

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

cyberpsyke - 26 June 2012 11:01 AM

The purpose of my PhD project is to clarify and demystify players phenomenological experiences in order to maximize the benefits of interactive media, as well as to understand automatic mental, physiological and behaviour processes that can be relevant in different areas of the sciences.

http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg21228441.600-levelup-life-how-gaming-can-enhance-your-reality.html

There is this one question that defines all, whether you can tell it as reality or have control of DTP, all the time i took inspiration as educational , learning process, it depends where the player himself is drawing lines to take inspiration.
Like Poitical dynamics in Splintercell, Social satire in GTA, Human emotions in SilentHill series etc. There should be more researches like this, but two things i want to point out.

1. Use cognitive word too with automatic.
2. You used picture of games with controversial aspect, the woman on cycle and capture above her head, it reminds me of that controversial rape game that caught media attention, you should use images like Silenthill and Layton, SH for self reflection of your deeds, layton for solving , improvising real world situations.

The wrong picture use would make it seem like , gamers are mental beings that are
researched if they have disorder like shooting and rape.
It should be more intellectual approach.

Total Posts: 34

Joined 2006-06-19

PM

I hesitate to use the survey but I if you don’t mind have a few observations about my own gaming experience that I will add as a comment.

It is the mix of otherworldly and realism that attracts me to a game. My first sense of that was in Myst and then Riven. Nothing has quite hit it out of the park in that same way since, although there have been a few great games that came very close. The original Longest Journey, Grim Fandango, Syberia, Lost Crown and a few others also drew me in completely. All differently constructed games but with the immersiveness needed for a great gaming experience. Things were familiar yet different and that is really cool. I still get flashbacks of the games, especially Riven, when I go for my walks or experience the sights and sounds around me. Seeing the world through the artistry of some of the games has made the world a little more magical somehow. 

These earlier games were all really good puzzles. But eventually the good ones became harder to find (even good copycats somehow missed that special element). As time went on the atmosphere and sense of adventure were invested into the shooter games that I resisted. I noticed, however, that where I used to cringe at the blood and gore and fight scenes, it became a lot easier to take over time. It also got easier to shoot “enemies” that looked more and more human … even though I can’t stand guns and think there are far too many of them in our society. In real life I have a hard time killing a fly and cannot imagine myself harming anyone physically. 

However, I can certainly understand how someone with issues detected or undetected could be influenced and become more comfortable doing harm in the real world. In fact, why would advertisers pay millions of dollars marketing their products if they didn’t know that the public is influenced by their ads? And why would the military use similar games to train soldiers and possibly make it just a little easier to kill.     

Through the help of technology and dramatic realism, the initial sense of pure adventure in games has evolved into a high level of comfort with danger and the easy use of personal power. Trouble is that games don’t really show the long-term effects of suffering. So killing and suffering become worlds apart and can even become disconnected in some minds. 

Life is a riddle waiting to be solved.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

The main phenomenon I experience is the transfer of the interface possibilities to the world. So if I have a gun and can shoot, say in Portal, I might look around for walls to be able to shoot at or just play around with the idea in my head. Of course that’s boring for anything more than a few seconds so it doesn’t stay any longer than that. It’s not voluntary.

Total Posts: 106

Joined 2010-10-27

PM

Finished the survey and I inspire everyone to take it (it’s much more entertaining than my survey used to be)), although I can’t say video games ever influenced my everyday life. I had dreams after playing some of them, they were a lot of fun. There were some cases when I needed a minute to come up with my thoughts after a longplay, although with movies it happens much more often. But I can’t recall if I ever confused real life with a video game event and tried to act accordingly. It would be interesting though. Probably something like this Grin Real Real Myst

Joined 2012-06-06

PM

nomadsoul - 26 June 2012 09:45 PM
cyberpsyke - 26 June 2012 11:01 AM

There is this one question that defines all, whether you can tell it as reality or have control of DTP, all the time i took inspiration as educational , learning process, it depends where the player himself is drawing lines to take inspiration.
Like Poitical dynamics in Splintercell, Social satire in GTA, Human emotions in SilentHill series etc. There should be more researches like this, but two things i want to point out.

1. Use cognitive word too with automatic.
2. You used picture of games with controversial aspect, the woman on cycle and capture above her head, it reminds me of that controversial rape game that caught media attention, you should use images like Silenthill and Layton, SH for self reflection of your deeds, layton for solving , improvising real world situations.

The wrong picture use would make it seem like , gamers are mental beings that are
researched if they have disorder like shooting and rape.
It should be more intellectual approach.

Hi!
GTP experiences occur automatically without premeditation of the players and in most of the cases without control of the players. Using the word automatic is important. Distinctions between automatic experiences and intentional experiences have been established in the GTP studies.

In the first GTP study some players reported seeing text boxes above peoples’ heads, seeing images of video games when trying to sleep, looking for game pads in the air when something happened in real life, wanted to use video games elements in real life or suddenly doing a behavior or action as in the video games without intending to do so.
The purpose of my project is to clarify and demystify players phenomenological experiences in order to maximize the benefits of interactive media, as well as to understand automatic mental, physiological and behavior processes that can be relevant in different areas of the sciences.

I knew I would be criticized no matter what I use for promoting the survey, but I didn’t made the associations you have made with the image. It worries me. My apologies if I triggered such associations.

The image I used represents the experience of a player that after playing the game saw a woman on a bicycle with a red tag above her head, the same red tag used in the games. Video games images seen in real life environments usually preserve the characteristics from the game, such as colors and shape and are seen sharper than after-images. The text in the icon above her head was taken from a CoD game (see the image to the left). The image was made by a young artist based on his own creativity. The image tries to establish the dichotomy between the game and real life. I used this image at the beginning of my recruiting phase but I have stopped using it, since I realize that the image is a cartoon it is not efficient to communicate the indented message with it.

Thanks for your comments, I will take them in consideration.

Angelica

Joined 2012-06-06

PM

Arial Type - 28 June 2012 09:47 AM

Finished the survey and I inspire everyone to take it (it’s much more entertaining than my survey used to be)), although I can’t say video games ever influenced my everyday life. I had dreams after playing some of them, they were a lot of fun. There were some cases when I needed a minute to come up with my thoughts after a longplay, although with movies it happens much more often. But I can’t recall if I ever confused real life with a video game event and tried to act accordingly. It would be interesting though. Probably something like this Grin Real Real Myst

I happy to heard you enjoy the survey Smile

The results will be published in my blog.

Cool video I will add it to my blog. Thanks for sharing!

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top