• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

diegoIronCretinJdawg445Lady Kestrelluckyloserwalas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

New Tomb Raider

Total Posts: 347

Joined 2006-07-30

PM

Is anyone looking forward to playing this game?  It’s one of the games I’m most excited about this year.  I really like the approach they’re taking to it.

I wanted to preorder the PC version, but it looks like it will be download only, no boxed release.  I generally like to resale this type of game after I beat it because I don’t usually replay them.  So, I think this is going to push me torwards getting the PS3 version.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Its essentialy uncharted , lost everything what made TombRaider unique for me. Still will
rent. In before defense force marches in saying UC copied TR

I loved TR puzzles, challenging platforming, isolated feel, timed jumps etc.
Anniversary was amazing.

This one is full of QTE’s, simple button prompts , setpieces and
what not. Push button and something awesome happens, stupid voice acting, lara talking to herself , even some lines are straight from Drake.

Still i hope to be proven wrong but my expectations were high. Neogaf thread posts
completely nail the present feeling of this TR. It has become victim of same curse
that hit Splintercell, Deadspace and Hitman.

Total Posts: 347

Joined 2006-07-30

PM

I can’t disagree with anything you wrote.  But I love the Uncharted games, so if the new game is just Uncharted with Lara Croft, I would personally love it.  But I can see how other people might be disappointed.  The game looks pretty awesome, though.

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

I get the impression that this game is going to be very linear going from one cut scene to the next.

It’s not surprising because Uncharted took the Tomb Raider model and dialled it up to 11. Tomb Raider is now trying to puch it to 12.

Unfortunatly they are not Naughty Dog so i’m not sure if they can do it. It looks like they are just going to take a young Lara and put her throught the ringer in a haphazard way of turning her into the confident Tomb Raider that we know and love. I don’t think it’s the right way to do it. From what i’ve read of the first 3 hours of the game she is shipwrecked, knocked out and trussed up by a cannibal, impailed on a sharp stick, blown up, nearly crushed in a cave in, fends of mr cannibal again, falls from a plane wreck and tumbles downs a mountain on a rock slide. And that’s all in the first 10 mins.

That and the reported rape scene suggests to me they are going out of their way to beat seven bells of shite out of Lara in the name of character development.

I will wait to see if any of these fears come true and wether it comes together as a complete game before judging it, but I have reservations as to the direction they seem to be taking the franchise.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

P.S The plot also bears more than a passing resembleance to the CW TV show “Arrow”.

Rich boy Oliver Queen survives ship wreck to be stranded on island where he learns the error of his selfish ways, learns to survive and hunt with a bow and comes back as the DC superhero Green Arrow.

Ok the last bit is a stretch, but all the ship wreck/ stranded on an island bit that turns you from rich entitled twat to bad ass is familiar.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Interplay - 26 January 2013 08:30 PM

I can’t disagree with anything you wrote.  But I love the Uncharted games, so if the new game is just Uncharted with Lara Croft, I would personally love it.  But I can see how other people might be disappointed.  The game looks pretty awesome, though.

I am afraid that wont be the case for me, ND has mastered the craft of storytelling,
mocap and the chemistry of UC cast is spot on. Wasn’t expecting much from
UC Vita still the graphics and excellent chemistry between Sully and Drake carried
me through the campaign like another favorite TV serial episode.

In TR now the setpieces feels rip off (that glass breaking in plane in TR like the glass breaking in UC3 ship elevator) and Lara VA and story feels cheeseball.
The VoiceActress was hit not because of her voice talent but random nude scenes in Californication, guess marketing team failed to find better positioning link.

Total Posts: 974

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

I’m very much looking forward to the new Tomb Raider. I hope it’s like an Uncharted-lite - makes the waiting for Uncharted 4 that much easier ;-)

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

I have this pre-ordered because of some amazing deal at Greenmangaming but the Uncharted resemblance is disappointing. I like Uncharted but if this means the puzzles and exploration from Tomb Raider are gone… Also, why multiplayer?!?

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Lara Croft definitely looks a lot better now that they didn’t unrealistically oversize her boobs…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Shameless, disaster.

The first comment nails it, the main guy looks copy paste Sully, the other guy with him is
wearing black and white drake shirt, not to mention the crappy animations and everything
trying its best to be like uncharted.

Total Posts: 880

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

nomadsoul - 28 January 2013 12:24 PM

Shameless, disaster.

The first comment nails it, the main guy looks copy paste Sully, the other guy with him is
wearing black and white drake shirt, not to mention the crappy animations and everything

Ignorance is ugly on people. Are people forgetting that Uncharted and Tomb Raider were heavily based on Indiana Jones?

Oh well, people will continue to compare this game to Uncharted dispite it being nothing like it.

Uncharted == Linear.
Tomb Raider == More Non-Linear than Uncharted. Essentially, Tomb Raider.

Its like no one even watched the Gameplay videos.

Stuart Bradley Newsom - Naughty Shinobi || Our Game: Shadow Over Isolation

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

I said the same when they did it wil Uncharted, but “NOT EVERY GAME NEEDS A MULTIPLAYER MODE”

They should put all that time and effort into the single game ot at least jsut a co-op mode.

Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Lucien21 - 28 January 2013 04:46 PM

“NOT EVERY GAME NEEDS A MULTIPLAYER MODE”

I fully agree!

Unfortunately, they’re starting to use the multiplayer mode as a form of DRM.

*cough* Mass Effect 3 *cough*  Shifty Eyed

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 880

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

Lucien21 - 28 January 2013 04:46 PM

I said the same when they did it wil Uncharted, but “NOT EVERY GAME NEEDS A MULTIPLAYER MODE”

They should put all that time and effort into the single game ot at least jsut a co-op mode.

Bad enough the first time Dead Space 3 was announced with Coop. Except at least that game dynamically changes the story based on if there is a partner or not joining the game.

Stuart Bradley Newsom - Naughty Shinobi || Our Game: Shadow Over Isolation

Total Posts: 12

Joined 2009-06-23

PM

Yes I am. If Toby Gard is involved it’ll be awesome Smile

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Monolith - 28 January 2013 03:08 PM
nomadsoul - 28 January 2013 12:24 PM

Shameless, disaster.

Ignorance is ugly on people. Are people forgetting that Uncharted and Tomb Raider were heavily based on Indiana Jones?

Oh well, people will continue to compare this game to Uncharted dispite it being nothing like it.

Uncharted == Linear.
Tomb Raider == More Non-Linear than Uncharted. Essentially, Tomb Raider.

Its like no one even watched the Gameplay videos.

It’s like you haven’t played Uncharted.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top