• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissieKeybordzzobraks

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

replayed broken sword 5 for the second time

Total Posts: 1619

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

I played it when it first came out, like 2 yrs ago, I waited for the whole game to be released, I hate episodic games and I hope that died with telltale for the most part.

Anyways I played the game with my wife this time bc she wanted to try something new and while she doesnt like traditional P@C games like this, she was enjoying the story and did help on a couple of the puzzles I couldnt remember how to solve.

Anyways, I still enjoyed the game, its nowhere close to BS1 in quality, but then again to me none of the games are. My list goes BS1, BS2 (I think that BS2 is a little underrated) than BS3 and BS5 are tied. I Like most of the puzzles in this game, except for the tabula one in the cave, that puzzle is horrible like writing the message on the tomb bad in gabriel knight 1. I actually really like the concept of the story here, How you need “good and bad” to be balanced, I actually wish they went a little deeper. That is one thing I appreciate more and more about BS1, while yes it is a popcorn game in a sense like indiana jones, the devs did a great job of building the stories and myths into that game. I felt like that was lacking here. Plus the villains in broken sword 5 are downright lame, except for shears. I love the bad guys in BS1, I actually think Broken Sword 1 has one of the best opening cutscenes in videogame history.

Overall I still think the game is a solid 8 to 8.5. I have the game on PC but used an hdmi cord to put it on my tv, and used a xbox 360 controller to play. The game played great, the only issue I had was some of the movies played a little slow for some reason.

Have any of yall replayed the game and has your opinion changed one way or the other?

Total Posts: 6

Joined 2006-05-13

PM

Good game that took a nosedive in terms of story in the end.

Total Posts: 282

Joined 2017-04-14

PM

Funny thing, I’m replaying Broken Sword 1 at the moment (the original version, I’ve never played the director’s cut). I’ve played BS5 twice, the first time soon after its release in 2014 (!), and the second time a couple years ago I think. I enjoyed the game during both playthroughs, in fact if it weren’t for that obnoxious goat joke at the end (yes I’m very sensitive when it comes to animals in games) I would probably rate it just below the original game. Come to think of it there also was that awkward scene where you as Nico have to seduce that lecherous gallerist that upset me more than a bit. She’s always been presented as an attractive woman, but never utilised in such a degrading way, as far as I remember. And that scene in which George goes full George Baker in a disconcerting rendition of Modern Major General but that was only embarrassing. I love Shears, but I realise Khan is a much scarier villain, Shears is more like Vinnie Jones in Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels, you know he’d beat the daylights out of you but you still find him likeable.
I’m thinking of playing BS2 next (I don’t remember it so well, I know it wasn’t perfect but still I’m pretty sure it’s underrated) and then maybe BS5 again, perhaps my opinion will change.

edit: okay I take back what I wrote about Nico in the first game, she’s clearly used in a seductive way when she could have acted otherwise and then she gets damseled and force-kissed by George and I don’t know which is worse. Besides there is severe historical inaccuracy in the game and I don’t mean the part about the Templars actually worshipping a three-faced bearded idol and still existing today. Good game nonetheless, but I’m disappointed.

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

I think overall nico is a well rounded character, and her an george are a match made in heaven. Shears is great but the other two villains, aka the russian and the other main baddie (he is so lame i dont even remember his name and i just played the game) are one note and boring.As far as the goat, didnt bother me i love eating meat especially lamb, but what i didnt like is all the wink wink fan nod stuff. A little is ok but it became obnoxious by the end of bs5. Like how many goat puzzles do you need.

Total Posts: 86

Joined 2013-03-10

PM

I recently replayed broken sword one but stopped playing when I walked into a scenario where I was killed but hadn’t saved for quite some time.The thought of replaying put me off.I decided to replay broken sword 2 but then I came to a scene where I think I remembered I might be killed and so saved the game.I haven’t played since as I can’t be bothered saving the game constantly just in caseI may be killed unexpectantly.I know some people like the thrill of that but I like to get immersed in a game and do not want to be worried that I may have to replay lots of a game just because I have been enjoying game but haven’t constantly stopped to save.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I’ve replayed all the games several times, for me, BS5 got better with more replays. Now to me it’s a true classic.

The original BS2 got tepid reviews but the remake got very positive ones.

BS the directors cut is the DS/WII version with some extra content. At the time I liked playing it on the DS.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 860

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

Jdawg445 - 05 October 2019 02:37 PM

I think overall nico is a well rounded character, and her an george are a match made in heaven.

Personally, I disagree.

I always loved how in BS1 Nico was just some French chick who George was too attracted to, and HE did all the work while SHE just sat at home basically doing nothing.

The whole dynamics of that changed when Nico became a playable character, most notably in BS1 Director’s Cut where they added new segments to feature Nico as a playable protagonist, which really made the whole game so much worse.

In the very underrated BS4 they had a fresh take on the whole thing by bringing in another girl and love interest for George, but sadly they didn’t follow it the whole way through and the closure of the game is really disappointing.

I think Nico is keeping them from really taking the series into new directions with George. Of course the same can be said the other way too, a spin-off with Nico and without George might be interesting, although Nico has never had that captivating adventure attitude that George has had from the very first scene he was in.

At least they could make them a permanent duo like a married couple by now, another “meeting Nico by chance” storyline would be ridiculous by now…

mo54 - 05 October 2019 08:03 PM

I recently replayed broken sword one but stopped playing when I walked into a scenario where I was killed but hadn’t saved for quite some time.The thought of replaying put me off.I decided to replay broken sword 2 but then I came to a scene where I think I remembered I might be killed and so saved the game.I haven’t played since as I can’t be bothered saving the game constantly just in caseI may be killed unexpectantly.I know some people like the thrill of that but I like to get immersed in a game and do not want to be worried that I may have to replay lots of a game just because I have been enjoying game but haven’t constantly stopped to save.

1) Play the remastered versions where they either removed the deaths or made them automatically reset, which were really the only good changes in those new versions.

2) In BS1 and BS2 the game gives a fair warning when a dangerous situation is about to happen, and a short time to react to it. That, I think, was always a good compromise between random sudden deaths (like Sierra) and no deaths at all (like LucasArts). Saving the game at that moment, and then reloading and replaying it until you get out of the danger works for most deadly situations.

3) If all else fails, you can probably find saved games from the Internet and resume the game from there. The only problem is to find the right kind of saves, like ScummVM is not compatible with DOSBox saves etc. but for popular games, you can find them. It took me only a couple of minutes to find save games for Syberia, when I only needed to get further into the game to get some screenshots, I wasn’t going to play the game for that purpose.

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Mikekelly - 05 October 2019 11:57 PM

I’ve replayed all the games several times, for me, BS5 got better with more replays. Now to me it’s a true classic.

The original BS2 got tepid reviews but the remake got very positive ones.

BS the directors cut is the DS/WII version with some extra content. At the time I liked playing it on the DS.

Heart

Yeah i dont see bs5 ever becoming a classic to me, but it was a good entry into the series

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

GateKeeper - 06 October 2019 05:11 AM
Jdawg445 - 05 October 2019 02:37 PM

I think overall nico is a well rounded character, and her an george are a match made in heaven.

Personally, I disagree.

I always loved how in BS1 Nico was just some French chick who George was too attracted to, and HE did all the work while SHE just sat at home basically doing nothing.

The whole dynamics of that changed when Nico became a playable character, most notably in BS1 Director’s Cut where they added new segments to feature Nico as a playable protagonist, which really made the whole game so much worse.

In the very underrated BS4 they had a fresh take on the whole thing by bringing in another girl and love interest for George, but sadly they didn’t follow it the whole way through and the closure of the game is really disappointing.

I think Nico is keeping them from really taking the series into new directions with George. Of course the same can be said the other way too, a spin-off with Nico and without George might be interesting, although Nico has never had that captivating adventure attitude that George has had from the very first scene he was in.

At least they could make them a permanent duo like a married couple by now, another “meeting Nico by chance” storyline would be ridiculous by now…

mo54 - 05 October 2019 08:03 PM

1) Play the remastered versions where they either removed the deaths or made them automatically reset, which were really the only good changes in those new versions.

2) In BS1 and BS2 the game gives a fair warning when a dangerous situation is about to happen, and a short time to react to it. That, I think, was always a good compromise between random sudden deaths (like Sierra) and no deaths at all (like LucasArts). Saving the game at that moment, and then reloading and replaying it until you get out of the danger works for most deadly situations.

3) If all else fails, you can probably find saved games from the Internet and resume the game from there. The only problem is to find the right kind of saves, like ScummVM is not compatible with DOSBox saves etc. but for popular games, you can find them. It took me only a couple of minutes to find save games for Syberia, when I only needed to get further into the game to get some screenshots, I wasn’t going to play the game for that purpose.

See I think George and Nico have a very good repertoire back and forth with witty banter. but the one thing I do agree with you on is it’s time for them to be a couple or be married. the whole chance encounter for the sixth time would be overdone.

As far as bs1 she does help a lot even if she is not playable. She is actually the catalyst for the whole adventure to kick off.

Total Posts: 221

Joined 2003-11-10

PM

NickyLarson - 04 October 2019 02:51 PM

in fact if it weren’t for that obnoxious goat joke at the end (yes I’m very sensitive when it comes to animals in games) I would probably rate it just below the original game.

That end joke totally ruined the game for me, and I’m not even exagerating, I went from “cool game” to “bleh” . I’m usually not that squeemish, but I don’t know, it felt so random and gratuitous…
The only game that made me feel the same is Deponia, which of course takes it to quite another level.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

One of the issues some people had with BS5 was the excessive amount of fan service to previous BS games. I rolled my eyes a few times in this game. Hopefully if we see another BS game they will tone this down.

Overall, I liked the game, but it could have been much better.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 1075

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

Tried to replay but puzzles are way too goofy,distract an inspector with ketchup,find out how to past a cockroach etc. and some antique script makes me think if it wasnt a BS titled game how much attention would’ve get?

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Total Posts: 837

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

I’m about 75% through right now, playing it for the first time. I am enjoying it, even though there are a few ‘what were they thinking’ puzzles. The pixel hunt for the sun, after getting the mirror from the goat; and the whistling Ave Maria puzzle.
The story is interesting and well told. At this point, my expectations for a Broken Sword story are *exactly* the same as my expectations for an Indiana Jones story: A rollicking action-adventure romp motivated by a historical context, involving cults and impossibly potent artifacts. Some plot twists are certainly telegraphed, but otherwise BS5 absolutely delivers this.

I think developers of legacy adventure games face the unenviable challenge of having to appeal to older gamers who played the original games back when adventure games were expected to be significantly more challenging, while also onboarding new fans by appealing to modern adventure game sensibilities (iPhone/iPad gamers).
So the games need to be tough, but not too tough; the player needs to feel like he has agency and is essential to moving the plot along…but the plot must be kept moving, no matter what the player’s skill level is (within a relatively wide spectrum). As such, I do sometimes find myself frustrated with games like BS5, when I can see how so many of the puzzles could have been more intricate and involving, but we are given only a surface level challenge. At the same time, I’m surprised and not expecting it when a puzzle like the whistling one pops up, which is legit old school adventure game ‘they paid $50 for this game, let’s give them their money’s worth in playtime’ stupid.

Overall, I’m really pleased with the game so far. *Leagues* better than the *disaster* that was BS4 (started okay, and went downhill, very very downdownhill, very fast). I’d say it’s not as good as 1 and 2, maybe as good as 3, which I have only played once on XBOX and have fond memories of, and a welcome return to form.

Player, purveyor, and propagator of smart toys and games for all ages.
Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Baron_Blubba - 22 August 2021 02:16 PM

I’m about 75% through right now, playing it for the first time. I am enjoying it, even though there are a few ‘what were they thinking’ puzzles. The pixel hunt for the sun, after getting the mirror from the goat; and the whistling Ave Maria puzzle.
The story is interesting and well told. At this point, my expectations for a Broken Sword story are *exactly* the same as my expectations for an Indiana Jones story: A rollicking action-adventure romp motivated by a historical context, involving cults and impossibly potent artifacts. Some plot twists are certainly telegraphed, but otherwise BS5 absolutely delivers this.

I think developers of legacy adventure games face the unenviable challenge of having to appeal to older gamers who played the original games back when adventure games were expected to be significantly more challenging, while also onboarding new fans by appealing to modern adventure game sensibilities (iPhone/iPad gamers).
So the games need to be tough, but not too tough; the player needs to feel like he has agency and is essential to moving the plot along…but the plot must be kept moving, no matter what the player’s skill level is (within a relatively wide spectrum). As such, I do sometimes find myself frustrated with games like BS5, when I can see how so many of the puzzles could have been more intricate and involving, but we are given only a surface level challenge. At the same time, I’m surprised and not expecting it when a puzzle like the whistling one pops up, which is legit old school adventure game ‘they paid $50 for this game, let’s give them their money’s worth in playtime’ stupid.

Overall, I’m really pleased with the game so far. *Leagues* better than the *disaster* that was BS4 (started okay, and went downhill, very very downdownhill, very fast). I’d say it’s not as good as 1 and 2, maybe as good as 3, which I have only played once on XBOX and have fond memories of, and a welcome return to form.

Wife and I both really love broken sword 5, I do think the second episode is a step down from the first but overall a really fun adventure. I agree with you about the puzzles although there’s one near the end that really will challenge you and your ability to decipher a language

Total Posts: 837

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

I just did that one. It was good. Exactly what a ‘boss fight’ in an adventure game should be! Broken Sword has always been good with the climactic endgame puzzles. Well, except BS4.

Player, purveyor, and propagator of smart toys and games for all ages.
Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Total Posts: 2060

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Funny, I thought BS5 was closer to BS4 than any other game in the series in terms of writing and gameplay - and I didn’t mind it at all since I enjoyed BS4 while I was also happy the game returned to its 2D roots. BS3, on the other hand, did nothing for me. Even speaking of ending puzzles,

Baron_Blubba - 22 August 2021 08:16 PM

Exactly what a ‘boss fight’ in an adventure game should be! Broken Sword has always been good with the climactic endgame puzzles. Well, except BS4.

Didn’t you confuse the games? 4 featured a typical Broken Sword chain of challenges, while all 3 had to offer was YET ANOTER crate-pushing mess which was anything but climactic Pan (almost made me uninstall the game). I think The Angel of Death offered a lot more in terms of classic adventure gaming than The Sleeping Dragon, but then I haven’t replayed them since their initial releases. Loved BS5 though, a really good game.

PC means personal computer

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top