• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

DaleLady KestrelrtrooneySpeedBo

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Top 100 All-Time Adventures update

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

i happy that Gabe opened this discussion again; but here is an old thread (with many old posters whom might not all be around anymore) giving different choices (early on) on what could be to added the top 100 list, which might inspire this this conversation (or not) Smile

https://adventuregamers.com/forums/viewthread/2326

Total Posts: 5035

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Very interesting article. Just not sure how it addresses the issue of ranking the top 100 games. But I grant, this is hard. There are several games in your article that are seminal games. The first four or five you mentioned are the bedrock games for everything that followed. But I’m not sure any of them would be classified “today” as really great games. KQ1 was the first game I ever played. I would not put it in “my” top 100 today.

Maybe there is a split here. Top 100 games v, the Top 25 most influential games. They do not necessarily belong in the same group.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

rtrooney - 29 September 2019 08:46 PM

Very interesting article. Just not sure how it addresses the issue of ranking the top 100 games. But I grant, this is hard. There are several games in your article that are seminal games. The first four or five you mentioned are the bedrock games for everything that followed. But I’m not sure any of them would be classified “today” as really great games. KQ1 was the first game I ever played. I would not put it in “my” top 100 today.

And that really is the difficulty of the matter. Those games that came first could be in one point of view placed in the top 100 list because of their importance, but at the same time, they aren’t that good of games.

But I didn’t really mean it as an answer to top 100 dilemmas. This whole discussion made me think about the history of adventure games in general and how it evolved and formed.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

You could always, for example, if add 10 new games is drop the bottom ten. I would update the list at least every five years.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 1782

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

Mikekelly - 30 September 2019 06:50 PM

You could always, for example, if add 10 new games is drop the bottom ten. I would update the list at least every five years.

Absolutely not.

I’ve already passed comment as to why earlier in the thread.

I’ve been thinking that a (sort of) way forward is to break down into a set:

1: Innovation  Those games that were the first to try something new. They needn’t be good games and, naturally, what they innovated would be bettered fairly quickly, but they were the first. This list, by it’s very nature, would be definitive and could be added to as each new innovation came along. Also easy to maintain because it would be in date order all the time.

2: Milestones  As per Advie’s thread, which got rather bogged down into definitions. Not quite so easy to define as there would be disagreements (No Diego, the FMV milestone was not Phantasmagoria and definitely UaKM Tongue ) but, where this happens, a simple vote will settle it. Democracy will rule there. This doesn’t mean the game will be the best of its type ever but the first where it all comes together in a cohesive manner. Using my FMV example I’d say Pandora was a much better game than UaKM but did not do anything that enhanced that particular type of game as it used the same format in its entirety.

3: Top 100 Of All Time  This would need to go to vote as no one person or small group of people could define this list. And it’s no good just dropping the the last x number of games to make way for new games. As I’ve said elsewhere games that were originally holding places 91 - 100 might be viewed in a better light a couple of years later and move up the list. It also needs to be taken into account that some very old games would be unheard of by a young(er) audience and be voted out by inferior games (subjective as I’m aware) who know nothing of said games.

Life is what it is.

Total Posts: 221

Joined 2003-11-10

PM

I wonder if it would be possible to have a Top 100 greatest list that would be a mix of staff evaluations and users votes (possibly with a ponderation to give the staff a stronger vote).

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

Mikekelly - 30 September 2019 06:50 PM

You could always, for example, if add 10 new games is drop the bottom ten.

You’d have to redo the order of the games before dropping the lowest 10.
The order of which games are my personal favorites certainly changes from year to year, and I doubt other people are any different.

And if you re-ordered the list and dropped 10 games before adding the new 10, you’d have to re-order the list a 2nd time because the new games probably won’t all be on the bottom or at the top.

Maybe we could…

1. Make a list of 20 or 30 games that didn’t make the original list because they weren’t released yet, were unavailable, or whatever reason
2. Add those games to the original list to get a list of 120 to 130 games
3. Re-order the list
4. Use the top 100 of that list

That way we wouldn’t have to re-order the list twice.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Ninth - 01 October 2019 09:20 AM

I wonder if it would be possible to have a Top 100 greatest list that would be a mix of staff evaluations and users votes (possibly with a ponderation to give the staff a stronger vote).

I think it’s not only possible to involve staff, it’s imperative. After all, it was a consensus of staff that created the current AG Top 100. And while I’m sure there was some arguing involved, I’m also sure that it was nothing on the scale of what it would be if the “general population” of the forum got involved.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Lest anyone forget the origin of this thread, here is the current list of the top 100 adventure games. I have to admit that I hadn’t looked at this in a while. But I still commented. And I bet more than a few others are commenting on this thread despite not looking at the source material.

What surprised me was how many games, starting at the bottom and working up, made me wonder how many of these games made it into the top 100 in the first place.

Granted the list is a few years old.

But it does make me think that, as suggested by others, there needs to be two lists as we move forward. The first list is the list of games created in the last two years that people think deserve a place in the top 100. Obra Dinn is an obvious example.

The second list is the list of games that are on the list, but might not deserve to be there. It’s only my opinion, but I found at least 12 that I thought should be eliminated from the list.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 221

Joined 2003-11-10

PM

rtrooney - 01 October 2019 06:33 PM
Ninth - 01 October 2019 09:20 AM

I think it’s not only possible to involve staff, it’s imperative. After all, it was a consensus of staff that created the current AG Top 100. And while I’m sure there was some arguing involved, I’m also sure that it was nothing on the scale of what it would be if the “general population” of the forum got involved.

Oh I agree that the staff’s should be the primary input, what I meant was that I wish there would be a way to include input from the forum on top of it. The forum could have a 30% influence on the list, for example, meaning that the game voted first by the forum would be bumped up a few spots on the official list (unless it’s Grim Fandango which will probably be first in both lists :-p).
That would involve some kind of maths formula to calculate each game’s spot, of course, which is easier said than done.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

I think and you think, but only the staff would do what they think.. think of it like destiny or God.

Total Posts: 1075

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

I think might be clearer way for having an updated list,creating a Millenium’s best
list and leaving old one as it is.

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Gabe - 03 October 2019 04:23 AM

I think might be clearer way for having an updated list,creating a Millenium’s best list and leaving old one as it is.

Won’t work that way. If you think of the “millenium” as being the break from 1999 to 2000, there are already quite a few post-2000 games in the current list.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 1075

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

rtrooney - 03 October 2019 11:02 PM
Gabe - 03 October 2019 04:23 AM

I think might be clearer way for having an updated list,creating a Millenium’s best list and leaving old one as it is.

Won’t work that way. If you think of the “millenium” as being the break from 1999 to 2000, there are already quite a few post-2000 games in the current list.

When you think of the number of remakes,it works and no doubt Grim Fandango Remastered will be #1 again.

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Gabe - 04 October 2019 05:31 AM

When you think of the number of remakes,it works and no doubt Grim Fandango Remastered will be #1 again.

It may well happen. But the remastered version was not the one voted #1 in the “official” AG Top 100. Nor do I recall that any remastered game received any votes.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top