• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissieJdawg445KeybordzSpeedBozobraks

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Top 100 All-Time Adventures update

Total Posts: 1075

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

smulan - 25 September 2019 03:24 PM

Rephrase the question to which games unplayable on my system should remain?

I meant incompetible dos or win9x ones.

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

walas74 - 25 September 2019 03:29 PM

What about an official 100 list and the forum’s members 100 list? Poll, of course.

its already made, and its the best list you would ever witness

Total Posts: 1238

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

Advie - 25 September 2019 04:31 PM
walas74 - 25 September 2019 03:29 PM

What about an official 100 list and the forum’s members 100 list? Poll, of course.

its already made, and its the best list you would ever witness

Ah, that’s just awesome!!!

I would like to know how Technobabylon, Thimbleweed Park, Unavowed and Return of Obra Dinn would enter in that list…

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Advie - 25 September 2019 01:47 PM

but why are you guys picking in Sierra “only” there are many other titles that needs consideration too

Nobody, and I mean nobody, is “picking” on Sierra “only”. Have you actually read the thread?

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

are you ‘guys’?

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Advie - 26 September 2019 11:41 AM

are you ‘guys’?

That doesn’t make any sense.

Nobody in this thread, whether they are called “guys” or not by your definition, I repeat NOBODY has “picked” on Sierra “only”. Try reading before posting.

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

but it made enough to make you squeaky

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Advie - 26 September 2019 01:08 PM

but it made enough to make you squeaky

Gibberish.

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

exactly, i just missed our ‘arguments’ its been a while

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Advie, if you have a feeling this is only about Sierra games, I can give you other titles I don’t think should be in 100 list: Runaway: A Twist of Fate, Black Mirror, Shadow of the Comet, Indigo Prophecy and Syberia 2.

The thing is though, there are a lot of Sierra games on the list, some of which haven’t really aged well and can’t really be seen as “the best of the genre” any more. My personal opinion is, that any “the best of” list should drop out games that don’t present the genre at its best in the time the list has been made. The historically important, influential or subject matter “not often seen” are lists of their own.

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

tomimt - 26 September 2019 03:28 PM

Advie, if you have a feeling this is only about Sierra games, I can give you other titles I don’t think should be in 100 list: Runaway: A Twist of Fate, Black Mirror, Shadow of the Comet, Indigo Prophecy and Syberia 2.

The thing is though, there are a lot of Sierra games on the list, some of which haven’t really aged well and can’t really be seen as “the best of the genre” any more. My personal opinion is, that any “the best of” list should drop out games that don’t present the genre at its best in the time the list has been made. The historically important, influential or subject matter “not often seen” are lists of their own.

i agree, see my earlier post;

Nostalgia v Real Quality the forever question

KQ1: if we can take away the effect of this game on the genre then there no doubt it can be excluded, but can anyone do that? i know u cant.
KQ6: No way, it has it all; the Quality and the Nostalgic feeling.

LSL7 7:No way, maybe there nothing Nostalgic about it but no way.

PQ2: its hard to say it, but it never stood the test of time.

SQ4: its my one my fav of all time, cant do without it.

LB1: you either love or hate, however its aground breaking adventure, sub-genre on it own, i cant live with it.

FPFP: way too much overrated as a Sierra gem, it would NOT even stand a chance against many title not in the list, like SQV, LSL3, QfG1 ...etc.

Gold Rush: Kill this Sonobitch.

Conquest of the Longbow: Another ground breaking adventure with marvelous gameplaying which had never been done before nor after.

Maniac Mansion: can we consider removing KQ1 and keep Maniac Mansion for the same reason it made here into the list.

maybe we need to look at those titles:
The Book of Unwritten Tales
Faust
Ripley’s Believe It or Not!
The Feeble Files
Penumbra
The Journeyman Project2
Syberia II

and as to the rest of the titles you ve mentioned:
Runaway: A Twist of Fate: maybe its not ‘wow’ enough, and hardly can be set it next to epic titles suck GK1-2 or Longest Journey…etc, but its the best of the series that came in a time where adventure gaming was dead, 2001…
here is the main argument, its only Quality and Nostalgia are our motives (or scale) to consider which is the greatest, but titles Such KQ1, Manic Mansion, Indigo Prophecy have more to them that, if you dig!

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Advie - 26 September 2019 03:52 PM
somebody - 26 September 2019 03:28 PM

i agree, see my earlier post;

Huh? No, in your earlier post you do NOT agree with the above quote!

KQ1: if we can take away the effect of this game on the genre then there no doubt it can be excluded, but can anyone do that? i know u cant.

LB1: you either love or hate, however its aground breaking adventure, sub-genre on it own, i cant live with it.

And more. How does that rhyme with “The historically important, influential or subject matter “not often seen” are lists of their own.

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

because its an argument (even with my ownself)

Maniac Mansion: can we consider removing KQ1 and keep Maniac Mansion for the same reason it made here into the list.

isn’t it obvious. haven’t i expressed well enough about how i feel towards this influential AGs; that the reason for them being in the list is not becus how their quality seem today?

thats why Tomimt idea makes sense as how we can cherish those titles and give some space to more quality adventures that can be played today as well, so when a new comer see this list and go playing PQ2 or Gold Rush would never touch an AG again.

Total Posts: 5034

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

These lists always are contentious. I recall when I was asked to provide a list of the top ten Casual games. And there was immediate disagreement regarding how you could leave out X. And more disagreement as to how I could include trilogies as a single game, e.g. Drawn or Enigmatis.

It’s a no win situation. For every person that thinks FPFP is over rated, there’s someone like me that has it in my top ten list.

I do agree that the list must age well. OD obviously needs to be put on the list. But the question is which game you’re going to take off the list to make room for it.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 1341

Joined 2012-02-17

PM

It’s still my intention to update the staff list at some point. As soon as someone invents the 36-hour day. Tongue

tomimt - 26 September 2019 03:28 PM

My personal opinion is, that any “the best of” list should drop out games that don’t present the genre at its best in the time the list has been made. The historically important, influential or subject matter “not often seen” are lists of their own.

That’s why we purposely called our list the “Top 100” games. No all-time genre list is much use without the historically important or genre-defining stuff, but clearly some of those aren’t the BEST games available anymore, even if they were at the time.

Karlok - 25 September 2019 06:39 AM

Only one game in a series should be plenty

Generally speaking, that was our principle as well, except when particular games were too noteworthy to not credit individually (Myst/Riven, Monkey Island 1/2) or when the games were significantly different from each other. You play one Leisure Suit Larry, you’ve pretty much played them all, but all three Gabriel Knight games are hugely different and don’t really represent the others.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top