• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

diegoKeybordz

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Top 100 All-Time Adventures update

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Jabod - 24 September 2019 05:26 AM

It’s all very well saying what you’d put in but which games would you kick out to make room for them? Naughty

Any good list tends to be alive. Some games tend to last time better, some not so much and peoples perception on what is good and what is not changes over time. For example, during recent years I’ve come to think of a good many of my old Sierra favourites as poorly designed games, whereas old Lucas games seem to be more resistant in terms of game design.

Total Posts: 131

Joined 2006-10-02

PM

The walking dead
Technobabylon
State of mind

Total Posts: 1782

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

tomimt - 25 September 2019 04:38 AM
Jabod - 24 September 2019 05:26 AM

It’s all very well saying what you’d put in but which games would you kick out to make room for them? Naughty

Any good list tends to be alive. Some games tend to last time better, some not so much and peoples perception on what is good and what is not changes over time. For example, during recent years I’ve come to think of a good many of my old Sierra favourites as poorly designed games, whereas old Lucas games seem to be more resistant in terms of game design.

I initially did that somewhat tongue in cheek/playing devil’s advocate but, having thought about it more, I think it’s a valid and serious point.
Gabe’s initial list was asking for 10 new games for consideration to be included into the top 100 - this is 10% of the total. It’s actually a fair point regarding the amount of time that has flowed since the original 100, and you’re also perfectly correct in saying that the list needs to be “alive” not least because perceptions and tastes change over time. This is why I think it would be a good idea to go for a “one in, one out” scenario as this will not only reflect those recent games thought to be excellent but also those that have faded as attitudes, aging, technology even (although I think that this would be an unfair consideration) have taken place. Doom’s last post being a very good example of doing this.

Life is what it is.

Total Posts: 221

Joined 2003-11-10

PM

Return of the Obra Dinn
The Talos Principle
The Witness
The Cat Lady
Life Is Strange
Firewatch
What Remains of Edith Finch
The Wolf Among Us
Valiant Hearts: The Great War
Primordia

With the first three a step above the others.
I leave you to decide whether Valiant Hearts is indeed an AG. :-)

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Doom - 24 September 2019 06:06 PM
Jabod - 24 September 2019 11:08 AM

There’s a list of 100. If people think what they’re nominating deserves to be on that list then they have to think that they’re better than some already on the list.

Personally I can live without

#50 – Infocom text adventures - it’s just out of context, you either choose different IFs or none at all
#99 – Nancy Drew: Curse of Blackmoor Manor - the series is just not the TOP 100 material
#80 – Sherlock Holmes: The Awakened - same, mediocre at best
#76 – Drawn: The Painted Tower - casual game, kinda out of place
#57 – Indigo Prophecy (aka Fahrenheit) - bad, broken QTE game
#31 – Portal + #10 – Portal 2 - could be described as puzzle games, or action/puzzle games, or puzzle-platformers, but not adventures. And even then they share same concept, don’t see the reason to include both.

I had another look at the Top Hundred and the number of Sierra games stood out: 15. That’s way too much. All three GK games, KQ1 + 6, QfG 2 + 4, Larry 7, PQ 2, SQ4, Laura 1, Freddy, Pepper, Gold Rush, Conquest of the Longbow. Only one game in a series should be plenty and what on earth are Pepper, Gold Rush, and Laura doing on the list? Makes 7.

LucasArts has 10 games. If I apply my “rule” of only one game in a series, we could remove Maniac Mansion and MI2. The same goes for Journeyman Project 2 or 3, Simon 1 or 2, Syberia 1 or 2, Dreamfall or TLJ, Discworld 2 or Noir, Tex UAKM or Pandora, and three of the four Myst games. Makes 11.

I fully agree with Doom’s list, so I’ll add his 7. That gives the list room for 25 new entries.  Cool 

PS: I can also live without Runaway 3, Titanic Out of Time, LA Noire, and Penumbra. Smile

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 1075

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

Karlok - 25 September 2019 06:39 AM

I had another look at the Top Hundred and the number of Sierra games stood out: 15. That’s way too much. All three GK games, KQ1 + 6, QfG 2 + 4, Larry 7, PQ 2, SQ4, Laura 1, Freddy, Pepper, Gold Rush, Conquest of the Longbow. Only one game in a series should be plenty and what on earth are Pepper, Gold Rush, and Laura doing on the list? Makes 7.

LucasArts has 10 games. If I apply my “rule” of only one game in a series, we could remove Maniac Mansion and MI2. The same goes for Journeyman Project 2 or 3, Simon 1 or 2, Syberia 1 or 2, Dreamfall or TLE, Discworld 2 or Noir, Tex UAKM or Pandora, and three of the four Myst games. Makes 11.

I fully agree with Doom’s list, so I’ll add his 7. That gives the list room for 25 new entries.  Cool 

PS: I can also live without Runaway 3, Titanic Out of Time, LA Noire, and Penumbra. Smile

When you put it like that,sounds it’s quite a forced out list for reaching 100.

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Gabe - 25 September 2019 07:01 AM

When you put it like that,sounds it’s quite a forced out list for reaching 100.

I think they wanted the list to do justice to the history of adventure games. And there was also this long dry period after the golden years of the 90s. But we have seen so many great new and novel games in the last 6-8 years that the list does feel outdated.

But you do have a point. Is there anybody here who feels Syberia 2 should be on the list?

Total Posts: 221

Joined 2003-11-10

PM

Karlok - 25 September 2019 07:11 AM

But you do have a point. Is there anybody here who feels Syberia 2 should be on the list?

I would remove Syberia 2 in a heartbeat, but on the other hand I don’t think games in a series should be mutually exclusive ; surely both Monkey Island 1 and 2 (or Myst and Riven) are deserving of a spot in a top 100.

Among the games I’ve played I would happily remove The Book of Unwritten Tales, Indigo Prophecy, Another Code, The 7th Guest and Samorost 2,
I could also do without Riddle of Master Lu, even though I liked it a lot at the time.

Among those I haven’t played, I’m perplexed about Pepper, Gold Rush, Nancy Drew, Freddy Pharkas, Heavy Rain and Beyond : Two Souls.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Ninth - 25 September 2019 08:25 AM

Among those I haven’t played, I’m perplexed about Pepper, Gold Rush, Nancy Drew, Freddy Pharkas, Heavy Rain and Beyond : Two Souls.

Beyond: Two Souls was released in 2013, two years after the Top Hundred saw the light.  Tongue

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

I do think Pepper’s Adventure in Time is genuinely among the best adventure games Sierra ever published. It even manages to be something many edutainment titles don’t, a good game2 on its own right.
Here’s my take on it: https://playernone.blogspot.com/2019/01/peppers-adventures-in-time-1993.html

Gold Rush! and Freddy Pharkas on the other hand, Gold Rush! was bad the day it came out and Freddy Pharkas has always been a game a bit too highly praised. It doesn’t work as a comedy and it has some of the worst puzzles in Sierra or adventure games in general.
My take on Gold Rush!: https://playernone.blogspot.com/2015/11/let-me-edutainment-you-gold-rush.html

And Freddy: https://playernone.blogspot.com/2019/03/freddy-pharkas-frontier-pharmacist-1993.html

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Karlok - 25 September 2019 06:39 AM

Nostalgia v Real Quality the forever question

KQ1: if we can take away the effect of this game on the genre then there no doubt it can be excluded, but can anyone do that? i know u cant.
KQ6: No way, it has it all; the Quality and the Nostalgic feeling.

LSL7 7:No way, maybe there nothing Nostalgic about it but no way.

PQ2: its hard to say it, but it never stood the test of time.

SQ4: its my one my fav of all time, cant do without it.

LB1: you either love or hate, however its aground breaking adventure, sub-genre on it own, i cant live with it.

FPFP: way too much overrated as a Sierra gem, it would NOT even stand a chance against many title not in the list, like SQV, LSL3, QfG1 ...etc.

Gold Rush: Kill this Sonobitch.

Conquest of the Longbow: Another ground breaking adventure with marvelous gameplaying which had never been done before nor after.

but why are you guys picking in Sierra “only” there are many other titles that needs consideration too

Maniac Mansion: can we consider removing KQ1 and keep Maniac Mansion for the same reason it made here into the list.

maybe we need to look at those titles:
The Book of Unwritten Tales, Faust, Ripley’s Believe It or Not!, The Feeble Files, Penumbra, The Journeyman Project2, Syberia II,

Total Posts: 1075

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

Any good list tends to be alive.

That’s bring into question,adventures which incompetible with modern systems should be still on the list?

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Total Posts: 131

Joined 2006-10-02

PM

Rephrase the question to which games unplayable on my system should remain?

Total Posts: 1238

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

What about an official 100 list and the forum’s members 100 list? Poll, of course.

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Gabe - 25 September 2019 03:02 PM

Any good list tends to be alive.

That’s bring into question,adventures which unplayable on modern systems should be still on the list?

that a good point, but shall we do the same for a Movie like The Shining, because last time i saw it i was bored like hell, tho i remember when i first saw it it wast like anything i ve ‘before’ and thats is the real argument, how did it feel then and how it feels now, how was the scene before (it)? and how is it now?, and is it fair to leave such Milestone off of the list because a new gamer would not even come close to?.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top