• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

IronCretin

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Blade Runner ready to be tested with ScummVM

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Dale - 11 July 2019 01:47 PM
chrissie - 11 July 2019 01:31 PM

If not, if you have the original game discs are there ways of running this game on newer systems now?

An alternative to ScummVM is detailed here, Chrissie. I’ve got it working using that.

Thanks Dale, I tried that link & I’ve seen it when Googling beforehand but Malwarebytes blocks it for me?  I know Malwarebytes can be over-zealous? So is it safe to override it?

I will just mention that I am able to play the game myself but I’m keen for other players to access it too - the more the merrier.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

The installer on Sierra help page for non-Sierra games worked fine for me without any hiccups thru the whole game, but that’s with having the original CDs.

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Advie - 11 July 2019 02:47 PM

The installer on Sierra help page for non-Sierra games worked fine for me without any hiccups thru the whole game, but that’s with having the original CDs.

Thanks Advie but what page number?  Smile

Total Posts: 91

Joined 2018-08-12

PM

chrissie - 11 July 2019 01:31 PM

Can Blade Runner be successfully run using ScummVM before November? i.e. NOW! (forget the subtitles!)

Yes. It should be ok to play through and with quite a few original bugs fixed.
Just get the latest development build from the ScummVM page for your system, and then create a game directory with the required data files from the game’s discs.

We do need the feedback if you spot any bugs, but the game should be 100% playable.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

chrissie - 11 July 2019 04:19 PM
Advie - 11 July 2019 02:47 PM

Thanks Advie but what page number?  Smile

Just follow the link, Chrissie. Wink

Total Posts: 259

Joined 2017-05-18

PM

Just noticed something. I’ve installed Blade Runner and tested the game with both scumm and the installer from replaying.de, and I see there’s a noticeable (but slight) graphical difference. The game looks slightly better if I run it without scumm, almost as if the game has anti aliasing. It’s especially noticeable on characters.

Not sure if there are settings in scumm I need to change to get the game to look that little bit prettier lol. Not a big deal though.

Tried to take screenshots for comparison but for some reason I can’t get the non-scumm screenshot to save fullscreen.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Maybe you have some filter turned on? ScummVM might also be forcing it to fit your screen aspect ratio, which might cause the image to blur. Check the game settings in ScummVM.

Joined 2017-05-18

PM

Nope no filters and no stretching etc. Same aspect ratio in both methods. In scumm the game looks normal, the way it has always looked.

But what I’m saying is that the game looks slightly better than it ever has after using the other installer. It came with a couple of patches so not sure if it improved the graphics slightly. Gonna try to take some comparison screenshots

Joined 2018-08-12

PM

McCoy97 - 13 July 2019 11:29 AM

Nope no filters and no stretching etc. Same aspect ratio in both methods. In scumm the game looks normal, the way it has always looked.

But what I’m saying is that the game looks slightly better than it ever has after using the other installer. It came with a couple of patches so not sure if it improved the graphics slightly. Gonna try to take some comparison screenshots

From the main ScummVM menu (when you launch ScummVM) could you check the settings under Options->Graphics ?
If you specific game (here: Blade Runner) does not override those setting from its “Edit Game…->Graphics” menu, then it’s using those settings. I think some of those checkboxes might be the culprits for what you’re seeing (ie Filter Graphics, Aspect Ratio Correction, FullScreen).

You can make the game look crispier if you disable the “Filter Graphics” setting

Joined 2017-05-18

PM

Every graphics setting in scumm is disabled by default. I didn’t click any of the checkboxes. I did play around with all the settings just now to see if there’s any difference in the game but there’s not. Like I said the graphics in scumm looks the same as always.

There’s definitely some anti aliasing or something going on when I run the game without scumm though because everything looks smoother. Everything. Even the big red Blade Runner title at the beginning has no jagged edges whatsoever. In scumm the title looks a little rougher.

Checking the street scene in front of Runciters right now. The pink neon sign has totally smooth edges. Using scumm the sign has little jagged edges. Same with the cursor. Totally smooth. It’s jaggedy in scumm. The crowd looks smoother and so does everything else. The biggest difference really is the cop standing by the door. He doesn’t look as pixelated as the cop in the scumm version. The game actually looks pretty damn amazing without scumm lol, don’t know why.

Don’t know if it’s just me and my pc. Can anyone else compare the two to see if there’s a difference visually? It’s just a slight difference but it definitely looks better if I run the game without scumm.

Joined 2018-08-12

PM

McCoy97 - 13 July 2019 12:14 PM

Don’t know if it’s just me and my pc. Can anyone else compare the two to see if there’s a difference visually? It’s just a slight difference but it definitely looks better if I run the game without scumm.

Hm, I misread and thought that it seemed to you that ScummVM was using AntiAliasing. But you’re saying the opposite.
Enabling “Filter Graphics” from ScummVM will definitely improve the image.

With Filter:

No Filter:

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

I just tested this as well. If the filter graphics option is turned off, you get jagged edges.

Joined 2017-05-18

PM

Ok cheers, looks like that did the trick. The game now looks better in scumm as well. Thanks.

I also sometimes get an error when I try to start the game. It just says ScummVM has stopped working. Got the error 5 or 6 times in a row just now and also earlier today. Is this normal? I know this isn’t a stable release of scumm.

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

I just had a crash while I was espering the photos from Runcitters. No error message though, it just froze and jumped out from the game.

Joined 2018-08-12

PM

Could you both verify that you’re running the most recent (today’s) developer build of ScummVM?

Also if the crash or the freezes were reproducible please open a bug ticket or report the issue on the ScummVM discord where we can look further into it.

As is, I can’t reproduce neither of the issues, so it’s definitely not a known issue at the moment.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top