• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

apignarbGabriel

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough #52: Beneath a Steel Sky

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

syn - 11 April 2019 07:28 AM

is the remastered version only available for ios? the screen shots look much nicer

Yeah, as far as I know, the remaster only came out on iOS.

Total Posts: 419

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

Did anybody else also encounter the audio bug?

Welcome to the gap Robert.

NP: A Link Between Worlds, Beneath a Steel Sky and Vampyr

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

There is no reason to make the remastered iOS only. It is a great game, looks great, sounds great and plays great.

I love the ability to high light all the things in a room to find stuff you need to interact with. It even has a detailed hint system if you get stuck.

I find this game to be fun and actually a little funny. For its time the best cyberpunk adventure game.

I am ready for the next check point please.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 134

Joined 2013-04-13

PM

hmm. i kinda wana check into an ios emulator and try that to see if it looks better. i got past first few screens, so far game seems interesting… i really having trouble with the color palette but i love me some cyberpunk and i’ve always heard great things about this one so i’m trying to stick with it

Total Posts: 600

Joined 2011-06-07

PM

Ok, I’ve reached the lower floor level, so I’ll hold here.

Sofar I must say the game seems interesting, but I’m a bit annoyed by the music and some of the voice acting.
Particularly the music has a vibe that doesn’t fit the tone of the game. I’m considering to put both voice acting and music off for the remainder of the game…..of course it could get better further down the game.

Total Posts: 101

Joined 2016-02-18

PM

As this game has been on my to-play list for ages, I loaded it up in ScummVM and played until the first stopping point. The last community playthroughs I participated in, I fell behind (but still completed the games), so no guarantees I’ll manage to keep up this time.

I already needed a few hints. I didn’t notice the one-pixel-sized putty in the store room on several visits to the room. And the interface is confusing me. Recent games usually have left mouse button for action and right mouse button for look. To have that inverted is something to get used to…

Total Posts: 2071

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Finished the first section, and it plays more-or-less like I remembered it: a mix of dark themes and funny moments, which is always a good thing in my book. Writing and dialogues feel less polished than in Broken Sword, but Joey is simply adorable, one of my all-time favourite sidekicks. Just don’t forget to ask him about everything that happens and show him all your stuff for some hilarious comments. Same goes to other characters, they always have something funny (or silly) to say.

Have to agree that music is totally out of place (it was composed by Dave Cummnins, one of the lead designers for some reason), and with so few themes it will be getting on your nerves very soon. I was also reminded how horrible the pathfinding (or, more to the point, the bumping into other characters) system is. It’s just painful to watch when Foster, Joey and someone else are getting on each others way, getting stuck for minutes, and you can’t maneuver Foster out of it. I’m glad they got rid of this “feature” in Broken Sword.

PC means personal computer

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

Henke - 11 April 2019 03:35 PM

Did anybody else also encounter the audio bug?

Welcome to the gap Robert.

There are a few audio bugs throughout the game (especially in the later stages), so I recommend having the subtitles on so you won’t lose any vital information. (To be clear, by audio bugs I mean the sound cutting off).

Doom - 12 April 2019 12:43 PM

I was also reminded how horrible the pathfinding (or, more to the point, the bumping into other characters) system is. It’s just painful to watch when Foster, Joey and someone else are getting on each others way, getting stuck for minutes, and you can’t maneuver Foster out of it. I’m glad they got rid of this “feature” in Broken Sword.

I agree the path finding can be irritating. It is also annoying how sometimes, you have to wait for Joey to show up in your screen when he is hanging out two screens across from your location. I guess I forgive all that because it was early 90’s and even some games that came later in the 90’s, like Starcraft or Command and Conquer, had annoying pathfinding problems.

Total Posts: 421

Joined 2007-08-13

PM

I must have finished this game over ten times and still remember fondly how I struggled with it as a 13 year old boy back when it was released.

The game must obviously get another replay in participation of the upcoming sequel, so I might as well join the community playthrough.

So, I loaded the files into ScummVM and played to the stopping point.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

I’ve reached the stopping point.

I’m loving the sidekick Joey. The little droid’s got attitude. Smile

Laughed out loud twice so far, once with the “rad suit” remark (What are you talking about? This suit is totally rad! Grin) and once with Joey’s Doctor Who reference (EX-TER-MIN-ATE! Tongue).
Dialogue is pretty funny in general. Wasn’t expecting that.

Game so far seems pretty fair in difficulty as well.

Died once, but it was deliberate. I just *had* to go downstairs as my very first action in the game. Cool

Quick question: is the game supposed to take place in Australia?
The Gap has a very “Australian outback” feel, and the tribe leader in the intro (and comic) gives me an Aboriginal vibe. Also, Hobbins sounds Australian (but none of the others in the game do, accents sound all over the place).

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

TimovieMan - 13 April 2019 07:12 PM

s my very first action in the game. Cool

Quick question: is the game supposed to take place in Australia?
The Gap has a very “Australian outback” feel, and the tribe leader in the intro (and comic) gives me an Aboriginal vibe. Also, Hobbins sounds Australian (but none of the others in the game do, accents sound all over the place).

It is never spelled out but I believe it is Australia. In the intro, the old man holds a Foster’s beer which is Australian. Also in the intro, when they show Foster training to hunt, you see kangaroos in the background.

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

Part 2

Hope everyone is enjoying the playthrough so far. At this point, we should have taken the elevator to the lower floor. For the second part of the playthrough, the goal is to take the elevator further down and reach the ground level. Once you reach the ground level in the elevator, stop and wait for the next section. You have a week until April 21 to finish this section.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

SoccerDude - 13 April 2019 07:47 PM

It is never spelled out but I believe it is Australia. In the intro, the old man holds a Foster’s beer which is Australian. Also in the intro, when they show Foster training to hunt, you see kangaroos in the background.

Yeah, that too. I noticed both as well, just forgot to mention them. My fault for waiting two-three days until I was actually finished with the section before posting. Tongue

Just like I forgot to mention that the game doesn’t really start very subtle: as if the clothes weren’t obvious enough, the guy coming to get you is even named Reich... Grin

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 5835

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I’ve now reached the 1st stopping point & ready to start Part 2! I’m enjoying the game a lot so far & the only reason I hadn’t tried it until now is that I didn’t (& still don’t) find the colour palette very appealing.

I got killed once by trying to keep using the elevator in the security guards room but I did save first!

I didn’t have too much trouble finding all the stuff in the storeroom & knowing what to do with the ‘gum’ after showing it to Joey

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

I didn’t manage to stop and played it right to the end.

It’s not a very long game when you remember most of the puzzles.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top