• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Charophycean

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Maupiti Island remake is up on Kickstarter

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

The “hardest adventure game” is back. A game from 1990., remade and released in 2020. that looks like it’s straight from 1999? I’ll take it!

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 208

Joined 2014-01-27

PM

This looks awesome! Never even heard of the original, but I’ll definitely pick this up when it comes out.

“Look behind you, a three-headed monkey!”- Guybrush Threepwood

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

I am somewhat intrigued despite the original game id wholly unfamiliar to me. I did check a Youtube video of the original and the most interesting thing I noticed of it was, that it used a terrible speech synthesiser for character dialogues.

Was the original game any good?

Total Posts: 387

Joined 2013-02-17

PM

Here`s a link to kickstarter page:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cupofgames/maupiti-island/description

Playing: 1) Broken Sword 5 2) Road 96

Total Posts: 355

Joined 2017-03-09

PM

tomimt - 01 February 2019 11:00 AM

I am somewhat intrigued despite the original game id wholly unfamiliar to me. I did check a Youtube video of the original and the most interesting thing I noticed of it was, that it used a terrible speech synthesiser for character dialogues.

Was the original game any good?

Some would say yes. It has somewhat of a reputation as one of the hardest to solve games ever made.

Total Posts: 2063

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Good or not, but this remake looks really bleak and dated, both in the game mechanics and the art direction. The original game was very stylish.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

I’ve long been very ambivalent about Maupiti Island. There’s a great game in there, buried beneath ten layers of awful game design decisions. The setting is original, and the way the game blends a complex, interesting mystery with some treasure hunt elements is cool. But all of that is spoiled by awful, awful mechanics that even in 1990 felt horribly outdated.

Unfortunately, the brief gameplay video for the remake seems to have kept a lot of the worst offenders (the real-time progression, the thousands of items to examine), which makes me afraid that the rest (the dead-ends, the constant death scenes, that awful questionnaire to check that players have properly figured out the mystery…) will be included as well.

There’s a great remake of Maupiti Island to be made, one that dares ditch all the bad stuff and keep the good. I’m not sure this is it.

Total Posts: 282

Joined 2017-04-14

PM

That’s great news, if you’re a masochist Tongue
I’ve played the game a little bit (I’m French, we had those long winter nights back in the XXth century), could never get anything that made sense out of it - I guess I’m not obstinate enough. It’s the type where you have to do a certain thing at a certain time in a certain place to obtain a vital piece of information, and the only method of finding out what, where and when is trial and error. So, I guess it qualifies for a “high replay value” award, and I understand the appeal, it’s just slightly too repetitive for me. Still, I have fond memories of it, if only for the graphics (indeed, very stylish), the general atmosphere, the tone (like Cruise for a Corpse, it works much better in French, there’s something akin to classic “bandes dessinées” in the way the characters behave and the narrator comments on everything), and of course the synthetic speech that was already a joke in the mid-90s (however, I hear it was considered “a revolution” when it came out in 1990).

Now about that remake… I wonder how close to the original it aims to be, in terms of gameplay. I agree the graphics look dated, but I don’t mind. It’s tempting, but 25$ for the lowest tier that includes the game is quite a lot, more than I’m willing to contribute anyway.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

25 euro for a game I know very little is a tad too risky, especially after reading here what people have said about the original, which sounds like a challenging game from all the wrong reasons. But, as I said, I am intrigued by it, so if they ever do manage to get it done, I’ll check it out.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top