• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

diego

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Is it me or are turn-based games making a comeback this year?

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

Jannik - 25 April 2013 10:36 AM

Shadowrun Returns (from what I’ve read it’s 100% turn-based)

So you seen the alpha footage. I think only the combat is turn based.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 164

Joined 2007-11-25

PM

The traditional definition of a turn-based RPG usually includes both 100% turn-based games and games with real-time exploration + turn-based combat, so IMO Shadowrun is a turn-based RPG by common standards Smile

Actually I’ll argue that 100% turn-based RPGs have never been that common in the first place, outside the rouquelike sub-genre Smile

EDIT: Clarification.
EDIT 2 (sorry was in hurry before): Actually the games Oscar mentioned has real-time exploration, too, and I’m pretty sure the combat in “Mask of the Betrayer” is not turn-based but “real-time with pause” Tongue

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

You’re right, it would be impossible to make a fully real-time game today with modern graphics. It worked in Might and Magic, Wizardry, Albion and some of the SSI D&D games when the poor animation was ideal for tile-based movement. The most you can do is turn-based combat, which still works well.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I believe that “Fire Emblem” fits into this. I love that game - it also sells in droves too.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 4

Joined 2013-05-02

PM

I love how Kickstarter has allowed the fans to get what they want. The genre is definitely coming back bigtime.

Total Posts: 6

Joined 2013-05-02

PM

I also appreciate this return to thoughtful gaming, it’s a nice change from the fast-paced button-mashing that most titles offer.

Total Posts: 14

Joined 2008-12-19

PM

KING Art, known to adventure gamers for games like “The Book of Unwritten Tales”, is developing a Kickstarter funded turn based strategy game called “Battle Worlds: Kronos”.  It looks promising and I’m one of its backers.  You might want to take a look at it.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Prject X Zone, wet dream of oldschool fans, Sega, capcom, Namco etc characters with
amazing spritework and cool looking fighting system.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I got Project X Zone - quite fun. Story is a little silly - but it does work.

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Mikekelly - 08 July 2013 07:17 PM

I got Project X Zone - quite fun. Story is a little silly - but it does work.

Nostalgia and Fanservice to the Max! Yes it does work considering how many characters
they put in it. They made good couples in the prologue chapters.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Shadowman Returns in coming out in a week! Steam codes already sent to backers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=UFYsQ0M2Jrg - Launch trailer

Looks so good. Great to see another kickstarter project arriving (and a big one)

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

wilco - 18 July 2013 05:59 PM

Shadowman Returns in coming out in a week! Steam codes already sent to backers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=UFYsQ0M2Jrg - Launch trailer

Looks so good. Great to see another kickstarter project arriving (and a big one)

Eurogamer has review up, Smile

“For those who just want to relive the isometric action of the SNES and Megadrive days, Shadowrun Returns easily delivers. It’s not the deepest or most flexible game of its type, but there’s a lot to be said for simple ideas realised intuitively. Add in some excellent writing and, judged purely as a standalone game, it’s an unambiguous success.

There’s more to Shadowrun Returns though. Much more. And it won’t be until the community gets its hands on the editor, starts remixing the current material and generating its own, that the game will really begin to blossom. When it does, the patience of the hardcore will be well rewarded.”

Community will remake SNES version too, so its win-win for us.

Edit:

Started it, the writing is really good, puts most of the AAAgames writing to shame. Makes me feel like strong writing without VO is lost art.
Game has got lotsa talking, done more talking and exploring than fighting.
Fighting is cool, simple for now, typical turnbased with APs.
Loving Atmosphere, music and level design.

One major drawback , there aint no manual saves. It autosaves at level starts and some
could take long. It adds to challenge but also the whole buying and selling, investigation, talking etc. have to be redone ofcourse.

Total Posts: 11

Joined 2006-05-01

PM

I reckon one of the best turn based/adventure/strategy games of all time was also one of the most UNIQUE.  It was called “The Clue” and was released on the AMIGA CD32 and you played the part of a “robber” and you basically pre-planned the entire robbert scene with whatever accomplices you had and gear (like cutting into windows with glass cutters, using safe cutters/crackers, get away car/driver etc) and then once you were satisfied that you were finished planning the robbery you pressed GO and watched it happen and if you did something wrong (such as mis-time the passing of a security guard or forget to turn off an alarm) you’d be busted and a police chase would ensue (which you didnt actually take part in but this is where upgrading your get away car, and regualrly changing it, mattered).  Does anyone remember this?  I’d back a kickstart that was attempting to make another version of THE CLUE because it seriously was one of the best games i ever played.. and extremely unique. nothing else like it.  The final puzzle was stealing the crown jewels, which i never managed to complete.

But your thread is very interesting because i think turn based games were really some of the first ones i played before RTS games came out, and i always loved plotting my moves against my friends especially in the ones where you could have more than 2 players Smile

Total Posts: 164

Joined 2007-11-25

PM

Guido Henkel and his company, G3 Studios, are on Kickstarter with Deathfire: Ruins of Nethermore. It’s a first-person RPG with turn-based combat. It looks pretty interesting, IMO.

Guido Henkel was project leader on the first Realms of Arkania, and one of the producers on Planescape: Torment.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/g3studios/deathfire-ruins-of-nethermore

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

The Banner Saga is releasing in January 14th

- great trailer

It seems like a lot of high profile kickstarters are finally being released!

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top