• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Jdawg445walas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Nighthawks - New Wadjet Eye Game - Kickstarter

Total Posts: 141

Joined 2019-05-03

PM

I’ve gone back a bit over that thread I’m kinda surprised the reactions to this game seemed so negative or least reserved.

To me it sounds a lot like those “life sim CYAO"s (basically trying to get a Sims-like experience out of CYAO frame works, dunno how known these games are. Probably not much). What’s interesting comparing the dev diaries to those amateur games is that basically the run into the same problems; it all sounds grandiose and player freedom and realism and immersive experience and then ... oh, feature creep, oh, the scope of the game, oh, this is rather tedious instead of interesting, oh ...

Hopefully the devs have found a good balance.

Anyway, thanks to the thread I put this on my wishlist and I’ll definitely get it.

The one thing I do regret about reading some of the dev diaries is that I really hate some of the vamp lore and, mh, when it’s about basically the experience of being a vamp it’s kinda annoying if it’s got vamp rules that I don’t like, so ... hopefully other areas will make up for that Wink

Total Posts: 291

Joined 2018-01-11

PM

zane - 09 June 2020 06:31 AM

Yeah redemption is just good. It was especially good when it was the first vtm game when it came out. Bloodlines was the game we really wanted.. much closer to the pen and paper experience. Redemption did have some weird multiplayer stuff though, I wonder if any of that still functions.

If I remember right, it had like a dungeon master mode, very similar to Neverwinter

Total Posts: 330

Joined 2017-08-15

PM

Pyoro-2 - 09 June 2020 03:34 PM

I’ve gone back a bit over that thread I’m kinda surprised the reactions to this game seemed so negative or least reserved.

To me it sounds a lot like those “life sim CYAO"s (basically trying to get a Sims-like experience out of CYAO frame works, dunno how known these games are. Probably not much). What’s interesting comparing the dev diaries to those amateur games is that basically the run into the same problems; it all sounds grandiose and player freedom and realism and immersive experience and then ... oh, feature creep, oh, the scope of the game, oh, this is rather tedious instead of interesting, oh ...

Well from the trailer it looks exactly like those Wanderlust travel games. Strictly speaking those were RPGs too because you have stats which go up and down and your choices impact what happens.

So what is the appeal here? Vampires? Or because it’s Wadjet Eye? Because I get the impression those kind of CYOA were notthat popular with adventure gamers.

I guess you could say the same for all of Wadjet Eye’s games - “Hey, it’s like Monkey Island, but with other stuff instead of ghost pirates.”

Member of the NAALCB - (North American Anti- Lobster Cop Brigade) since 2019.

Joined 2019-05-03

PM

Donuts McGee - 09 June 2020 09:03 PM

Because I get the impression those kind of CYOA were notthat popular with adventure gamers.

tbh I wouldn’t really associate them with the typical “adventure” stuff since there’s really no puzzle element.
But then people here seem to like Disco Elysum or Heaven’s Vault and such and I wouldn’t really call those adventure games in the traditional sense either ...

And of course you can say - well, it’s CYOA style games. The “A” for adventure is in the description ^^;

But anyway, to me the appeal is immersion, story, characters. I mean, ultimately, how’s that different from any other game? Bloodlines is a lot about that too. It basically depends on the writing quality and that shouldn’t be a big issue with this project I’d guess.

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

Wanted to give a shoutout as this game is imminently approaching release. The kickstarter updates are some of the best and most insightful iv ever seen. The one released today talks about the challenges of voice acting and squeezing the script to fit the budget. Very excited for this game.

Joined 2019-05-03

PM

Yeah.

Voice Acting is the worst thing that ever happened to writing in gaming (see: Morrowind vs Skyrim). Undecided yet whether AI will claw some of that which was lost back Wink

But definitely; you gotta appreciate devs that go over the whole process of their production and not just “look, everything’s awesome, this is awesome, preorder now”.

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

Yeah part of me wants to say: “put all the content in you want it doesnt have to be all voice acted, i dont mind!”. But theyr sticking with the plan. And there is a certain magic when a game like that is completely (or very close to) voiced.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top