• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

rtrooney

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Theme of the Week 16 - To Save or not to Save…

Total Posts: 681

Joined 2015-02-06

PM

To Save or not to Save…

As we all know it has become more and more the norm for autosaves over manual saves due to the complexity of the scripts/choices in adventure games and walking sims over the last decade. This has been and continues to be a bit of a mixed bag. It can have its benefits and it can certainly have its downfalls.

(Here I will discuss a few forms of the usually overlooked, but ever important save system and give a few screenshot examples after each discussion.)

In the glory days of adventure games you would hear more often than not to “save and save often!”. The original (manual) save system for adventure games. At anytime you can simply save your game usually with a description and there are usually an unlimited amount of save slots. When you’ve had your feel simply save and quite. If you die, (yes you could die and die a lot in the old days) or want to try a different solution to a puzzle, try a different path, or see a different ending you are just a save game away from doing so. That way you don’t have to play the whole game or large sections of it all over again. (That is if you save and save often!) Therefore the downside, which can be a pretty big one, is getting absorbed into the game and forgetting to save after a good hour or so and you die, the game crashes, or the power goes out! We’ve all been there Wink

King’s Quest VI

Space Quest III

Autosave/checkpoints. A pretty common system these days. As you progress through the game you will notice that it saves here and there either at certain events/checkpoints or just every minute or so to keep your save up to date. Also with most games that use this system it also autosaves when you quit the game. That way you will be right where you were the next time you play. This system works well, you don’t have to worry about manually saving. The downside, at least for me, is you can’t try different choices or alternate solutions/endings in a single play through since each time it autosaves the previous save is overwritten, therefore no going back! For most players probably not a downside, makes for replay value?! There is definitely one terrible downside though, if the autosave becomes corrupt then it’s back to square one! (So make sure to back up that autosave!!!)

Dreamfall Chapters

King’s Quest

Now on to the (worst?) save system. No manual saves, no autosave on exit, only autosaves after certain events/chapters/checkpoints. For me this is a big turn off! Mainly because not everyone is able to play for lengths at a time, especially when life decides to interrupt! So playing for short durations here and there is pretty much out of the question. Unless of course the checkpoints aren’t spaced out in lengths. Otherwise you have to be able to dedicate the time it takes to reach that autosave! This system is a definite mixed bag! The few games I’ve played that used it though were fairly short (around 2 hrs). So maybe not so much a problem for some but could possible be for others.

Dear Esther

What Remains of Edith Finch

Well guys and gals, I hope I didn’t bore you too much. Let me know what you think about save systems and any other forms/variations as well as any particular games that you feel suffered or surpassed due to them. Smile

This message will self destruct in 3… 2… 1… BOOM!!!

Total Posts: 5835

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Thanks for another thoughtful theme Sir Beardalot! I’ve got lots of thoughts about the save game features in games but just these ones for now (Sorry, I’m hard pressed for examples):
Autosaves These are okay in games with multiple save slots where they have their own but you can still make your own. They can be useful if you forget to save particularly if there’s an autosave on exiting a game. What I hate is when there’s only one save slot & the autosave overrides mine when there’s that facility because I might have chosen to save & carry on a little further to go back later & then I can’t!

Specific save points I’m more familiar with those in non-adventure games but I came across this idea in Indie game Acalius where you could only only save when you came across in this case a particular ‘gadget’ - that’s okay if the locations of them are plentiful.

One of the most annoying aspects re saves that I’ve come across is in games towards the end where the ‘action’ has hotted up & the developers have decided to omit the option to save during sequences which often are not in keeping with the gameplay up until that point!

That’s it for now but lot’s of things are coming to mind! 
    Smile

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

SAVE !!!!!!!!!!!

I absolutely hate it when a game doesn’t allow me to save the game when I want, and load any savegame whenever I want for whatever reason I have. This is MY game not the developers game, so don’t dictate how I should play MY game

I can forgive it in a game like Dreamfall Chapters, where it autosaves very often and you can load any save you wish, changing you choices etc, so the worst that can happen is that you have to replay 2-5 min of the game .. but it is still annoying!

BTW not so long ago I played a brilliant RPG called Pillars of Eternity, which had a mode called Trial of Iron. In this mode you only had one single save slot, and if you died in the game ... it would delete your savegame Gasp
Killing of your character for good, and forcing you to start all over with a new character!
And I might add that it was a game that could easily take 50-100 hours to complete.
Obviously I didn’t play it in that mode Wink

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 33

Joined 2007-02-25

PM

I prefer manual saves, but I don’t mind autosaves if it autosaves often. Sometimes I have things to do or places to be and can’t be waiting until I get to a certain checkpoint before I quit. I don’t like it when games do that. I think autosaves/quick saves make more sense for an action game, but not an adventure game.

Currently Playing: Chicory: A Colorful Tale

Joined 2015-02-06

PM

chrissie - 04 September 2017 01:24 PM

One of the most annoying aspects re saves that I’ve come across is in games towards the end where the ‘action’ has hotted up & the developers have decided to omit the option to save during sequences which often are not in keeping with the gameplay up until that point!

Thanks chrissie! The one time you REALLY need to save and they take it away from you. Shame on them!

Iznogood - 04 September 2017 02:06 PM

SAVE !!!!!!!!!!!

I absolutely hate it when a game doesn’t allow me to save the game when I want, and load any savegame whenever I want for whatever reason I have. This is MY game not the developers game, so don’t dictate how I should play MY game

BTW not so long ago I played a brilliant RPG called Pillars of Eternity, which had a mode called Trial of Iron. In this mode you only had one single save slot, and if you died in the game ... it would delete your savegame Gasp
Killing of your character for good, and forcing you to start all over with a new character!
And I might add that it was a game that could easily take 50-100 hours to complete.

Haha, I got a good laugh with that gif! So very true Iznogood, we should be able to save and load as we please, it’s a conspiracy I tell you!!!

As for Pillars of Eternity, what a beautiful game but “permadeath!” That’s crazy! I wonder if anyone has actually tried that mode and completed it?

cwapitm - 04 September 2017 02:33 PM

Sometimes I have things to do or places to be and can’t be waiting until I get to a certain checkpoint before I quit. I think autosaves/quick saves make more sense for an action game, but not an adventure game.

So very true cwapitm. I guess developers forget that life doesn’t stop when we play their games Wink

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

My favorite type of save system is a hybrid between manual and auto saves. Basically a game auto-saves at certain checkpoints (whether it be new location, event, etc…), but you can also save manually at any point in the game. This solves both problems of losing progress if you forgot to save, and having the ability to go back and replay a part differently.

I think WadgetEye Games use that system, and also games like Broken Age or Thimbleweed Park.

Total Posts: 285

Joined 2017-01-12

PM

Iznogood - 04 September 2017 02:06 PM

I would love to see this save system in adventure games! I think we need more of a hardcore fanbase, people are seeing advgames as soft and casual rather than challenging. I mean look at the Dark Souls franchise, basically they are shitty games but has a huge fanbase from basement dwellers because it is seen as “br000tal hardc0re” and incredibly hard to finish. Imagine sitting down to an advgame and having to plan your moves real carefully or you will have to start again, I imagine people will flock to the genre and the popularity will go up. People want adrenaline and risk in their games, not a Ron Gilbert philosophy of no death or dead ends

Total Posts: 282

Joined 2017-04-14

PM

SoccerDude28 - 04 September 2017 09:42 PM

My favorite type of save system is a hybrid between manual and auto saves.

Same for me. I like to have several save files, but it’s nice when a game saves automatically before an action or reflex-based sequence. The re-editions of Broken Sword and Gabriel Knight do that, if I recall correctly. So does Cognition, for example. That doesn’t solve the problem of losing your progress in the eventuality of a game crash, though. I’m pretty sure some games have an Autosave slot that updates every few minutes along some manual ones.

I strongly dislike autosave-only in games featuring several paths or endings. How am I supposed to find them all if I have to start from the beggining everytime? Going through the same cinematics and fill-in sequences just to reach a decisive point is not what I call replay value. I’ve only played Life is Strange or The Wolf Among Us once, for example, and I’ll keep it at that. Thankfully, we have video platforms nowadays to watch the other endings Wink.

Autosave at checkpoints only is by far the worst kind of save system in my book. They do that a lot in casual, mobile-only games - if you quit in the middle of a chapter or section, you have to go through it over again, including the puzzles you’ve already solved. A less-annoying version of that system is saving when you enter a new room. I think that’s how the latest Sherlock Holmes works. That way, if you have to quit playing before finishing a sequence, you can just go to another area and save your progress.

Total Posts: 5589

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I prefer to make my own saves and name them something that reminds me of where I am in the game.  However, I do like being able to go back to the beginning of an action that leads to instant death rather than having to reload a save.  Secrets of the Luxor had that, which made the myriad ways to die great fun.  “Yes, I see that huge rock overhead and those skeletons on the ground, but let me go in that room anyway.” Grin

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 5046

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I prefer the “hybrid” save system as well. It’s well represented in the current Sinking Island playthrough. It auto-saves whenever a mandate is completed, but allows you to save manually as well. Although I think you only have five save slots, one of which is the auto-save, so the options aren’t limitless.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

I prefer manual saves by a large margin over any other type.
When a game allows both manual saves and autosaves, I use the manual saves.

If a game only has one single autosave, it’s a good reason not to buy the game.
I tolerate it with some casual games, but not with something that’s supposed to be an adventure game.

I don’t like “checkpoints” either. A few adventure games from the early 1990’s wouldn’t save at your exact location, but would put you back to wherever the latest “checkpoint” was. I always thought it was primitive, and I still do.

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Sir Beardalot - 04 September 2017 05:59 PM

As for Pillars of Eternity, what a beautiful game but “permadeath!” That’s crazy! I wonder if anyone has actually tried that mode and completed it?

I believe so.
You could also set the difficulty from Easy to Path of the Damned independently of the mode, and on Easy or even Normal it is definitely doable, on Hard or PotD - not bloody likely!

rtrooney - 05 September 2017 04:26 PM

Although I think you only have five save slots, one of which is the auto-save, so the options aren’t limitless.

10 per mandate, giving you a total of 130 save slots.

Joined 2015-02-06

PM

NickyLarson - 05 September 2017 05:48 AM

I strongly dislike autosave-only in games featuring several paths or endings. How am I supposed to find them all if I have to start from the beggining everytime? Going through the same cinematics and fill-in sequences just to reach a decisive point is not what I call replay value. I’ve only played Life is Strange or The Wolf Among Us once, for example, and I’ll keep it at that. Thankfully, we have video platforms nowadays to watch the other endings Wink.

So very true! I’m guilty as well of a single play through. Thanks youtube Wink

Lady Kestrel - 05 September 2017 02:27 PM

I prefer to make my own saves and name them something that reminds me of where I am in the game.  However, I do like being able to go back to the beginning of an action that leads to instant death rather than having to reload a save.  Secrets of the Luxor had that, which made the myriad ways to die great fun.  “Yes, I see that huge rock overhead and those skeletons on the ground, but let me go in that room anyway.” Grin

I’ve always enjoyed the funny death screen messages in the Sierra classics as well as the Journeyman games. Always a good laugh Smile

rtrooney - 05 September 2017 04:26 PM

I prefer the “hybrid” save system as well. It’s well represented in the current Sinking Island playthrough. It auto-saves whenever a mandate is completed, but allows you to save manually as well. Although I think you only have five save slots, one of which is the auto-save, so the options aren’t limitless.

I can pretty much say we mostly all agree the hybrid system is the best. Being able to manually save at will but also having the autosave for backup/good measure!

A little off topic, (but that’s ok since it’s my topic right?!) Sinking Island is the only game by Sokal I haven’t played. I’ve always wanted to but was put off because I heard you have limited time to explore? What would you rate it compared to his other games? Do you recommend it?

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Sir Beardalot - 05 September 2017 11:36 PM

A little off topic, (but that’s ok since it’s my topic right?!) Sinking Island is the only game by Sokal I haven’t played. I’ve always wanted to but was put off because I heard you have limited time to explore? What would you rate it compared to his other games? Do you recommend it?

The time limit is optional - and you could check out the current Community Playthrough.
Personally I would say it is his 4th best game after Paradise, Syberia I and II in that order.

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

In most cases, I’m all after the traditional “save all you can” option. However, I believe there are certain games that benefit from reduced save options, especially if we’re talking hybrid or adventure-platformer games. Part of the fun of those games is to get over a certain portion of the game without saving, like a “level”, and it would kill the joy to be able to save in every moment in these situations. Adventure game examples to which that applies could include GK2 wolf chase (were you able to save there? Can’t remember), or complicated dialog puzzles where often the developers forbid us the save during the conversation.

I also like the trend to “continue where you left off” feature that is introduced right in the main menu once you re-enter the game, which is quite practical in games where you’re always in a winnable situation.

Keepsake, an otherwise quite original and unique game, has one of the worst save game features ever introduced - if you want to load previous saves for whatever reason, (like if the game bugs, or you want to replay previous portions, take screenshots etc) - you’re screwed: the game keeps track of your previous saves, but once you load any of those, that becomes your current progress, and you can’t load any of the games saved after that point in the game.

I know what I’m doing, but the hell were YOU thinking?! Angry

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Manual + Automatic + Quick save button is the best system.
Automatic checkpoint system is annoying in games like the ones from Telltale that doesn’t allow you to skip dialogue, so if you have to quit before an automatic save you have to go through the same conversations.

Not having the ability to save can be good if the game has action elements, so not really in adventure games. I remember playing RE3 without having memory card… Stressful times when Nemesis was around!
That said I would never play/finish SQ4 without the ability to save in each step!

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top