• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

AnimeAdamLittleRosezobraks

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Metal Gear Solid V

Total Posts: 1075

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

Grin

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Got my copy today, even in later reviews the praising is immense

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-09-01-metal-gear-solid-5-the-phantom-pain-review

Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain is not just a high watermark for the series. It is the greatest ever stealth game by a distance, a true masterclass from a designer and team who bow out at the very peak of their creative powers. This is one of the greatest blockbusters our medium has ever had as well as the perfect ending to one of gamings’ great series - and the end of one incredible, extended journey from Hideo Kojima. For decades to come, players will see the legacy of Metal Gear Solid, and have no choice but to salute.

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

Using the bionic arm makes the Six Million Dollar Bionic noise.

LOL

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 1279

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

wilco - 01 September 2015 02:48 PM

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-09-01-metal-gear-solid-5-the-phantom-pain-review

Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain is not just a high watermark for the series. It is the greatest ever stealth game by a distance, a true masterclass from a designer and team who bow out at the very peak of their creative powers. This is one of the greatest blockbusters our medium has ever had as well as the perfect ending to one of gamings’ great series - and the end of one incredible, extended journey from Hideo Kojima. For decades to come, players will see the legacy of Metal Gear Solid, and have no choice but to salute.

Despite some of the issues I have with him, I think it finally hit me today that the MGS series is over now.

Damn…

Recently completed: Game of Thrones (decent), Tales from the borderlands (great!), Life is Strange (great!), Stasis (good), Annas Quest (great!); Broken Age (poor)

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Tad - 01 September 2015 04:41 PM
wilco - 01 September 2015 02:48 PM

Despite some of the issues I have with him, I think it finally hit me today that the MGS series is over now.

Damn…

Did a blunder and accidentally overwrite usb to system and wham lost 8 hours of progress.
Luckily the save on usb wasnt from the beginning.
Game shined even more as i took different ways to beat same missions.
Plethora of options.

By far the best open world game in absolute gameplay and mechanic terms.
So Kojima finally delivered, his games in past were mostly pseudo games , heavily loaded with cinematic flavor.
Best stealth games ever for me still are Thief2 and Dishonored though.

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Finished the game.

Pros

- Kojima and gang spared no expense, if anyone wants to know what and how game design works play this. It even exposes how fundamentally flawed ubi games are.
Lots to learn here.

-Different companions different playstyle, lots of approaches, make your story with your own loadout and even some mission structures can be altered completely.

-Definitive MGS in gameplay design , feel, mechanics, super responsive and smooth.

-AI is highly aggresive, tagging enemies and other stuff is a blessing, compensated by enemies which can see you like a hawk , ambush and kill you in seconds.

-Lots of options to build bases, unlock weapons, suits, Buddy equipments, their outfits etc. adds alot of depth and flair.

- Bosses are back but sparse , some are easy others are intense. Skulls are rad.
Sniper skulls bosses was all i wanted from last MGS.

-Quiet is great character and fanservice is a huge plus.

-Mission 26 is based Kojima genius. Lets see how many of you will get it right.

-AMAZING music. Lots of great licensed 80s music.

Cons

Story twist (hint DavidBowie), was something figured out by gamefaqs users a year ago, one of the fan theory is a main twist that can divide fans opinion, i was not much bothered by it, but seems like there was lot still to cover before MG1 Snake vs Bigboss fight.
And this game ends abruptly with last huge epiode cut out and added in bonus footage.
In otherwords Kojima still wasnt finished with this game, they had to cut it to release it this year.

So time issues mean Chapter 2 missions are recycled missions with different difficulty modifiers, needed to progress story and unlock true ending, in other words filler content.

Turns out Kojima also dialed back cutscenes, they are 1/4th the length of MGS4.

VERDICT

Most of other openworld games are as expansive as ocean but as deep as pond, in design and gameplay.
Clunkiness,uninspired combat , shooting and lag inputs etc which plagues other masterclass
like Farcry,Witcher,Skyrim,Dragonage,Gta,RDR is not present here.
Its challenging, precise and genius in design, taking elements from industry and combining with best elements of past MGS games from Snakeeater to Portableops.

10/10

Parasites are new Nanomachines.

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Have yet to start it but it sounds great, so they went with focus on gameplay over story. Excellent

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

Agree, the story has always been a mess, but it’s the gameplay that shines in the MGS series.

Recently completed: Game of Thrones (decent), Tales from the borderlands (great!), Life is Strange (great!), Stasis (good), Annas Quest (great!); Broken Age (poor)

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Tad - 04 September 2015 12:27 PM

Agree, the story has always been a mess, but it’s the gameplay that shines in the MGS series.

Most of the story in MGSV comes from cassette tapes, Sony walkman, like narrative device/audio diaries used in classics like SystemShock and Bioshock.
It works great imo, worked in EgttRapture too.

Story itself became silly in MGS3, when bosses started to become Finalfantasy and Warcraft type shit.
Then i realized it would be fine if you treat series as Comic,Manga or Anime story.
With super hero powers and shit.

I love the megamix of different themes though, and Language parasite theme in MGSV is
sublime and ingenious.

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

That’s cool. It cuts down the cutscenes that plagued MGS4 and offers a lot story you can give or take.

I’ve never thought of it like that, but you’re right. It’s very much like a Manga etc.

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x35d28r_metal-gear-solid-v-the-man-who-sold-the-world_videogames

My gameplay showing gameplay and playing best oldschool track.

Bowie rulz.

No spoilers.

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Nice. Not very stealthy Smile

Wait, game has custom soundtracks?

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

wilco - 07 September 2015 11:13 AM

Nice. Not very stealthy Smile

Wait, game has custom soundtracks?

Hey you didnt read my review above :p
Yeah man, retro oldschool licensed tracks, which you have to extract from missions then play from iDriod.
Like GTA but not as big of a list.

Anyway i am done with the game , beaten hardest mission with S rank, i think game should have more content. Base gameplay is so good, but nothing left to do.
Frown

Will start Madmax in a few days

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Real life Quiet live performance,

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

30h into the game, just started the Africa missions, It’s so so good, already my favorite MGS.
The open-world aspects is so well executed, I just love all the planning, scanning the bases and just tackling the missions carefully.

Buddies are also an awesome system but Quiet seems to be a bit overpowered.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top