• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Two Guys from Andromeda (Space Quest creators) on Kickstarter

Total Posts: 643

Joined 2006-09-24

PM

I think this prototype in a couple hours is their make or break point. There have been some periods on this project where there hasn’t been much information, and people seem eager to see something big.

I really hope they can get a big boost!

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

^i fulllly expect them to come up with somthing impressive this time (especially seeing the color dome art).
But if this fails, it really is strike 3.

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

played through prototype 2, its certainly a big improvement that gives more of a “game” sense.

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/spaceventure/two-guys-spaceventure-by-the-creators-of-space-que/posts/233912

Right here folks, prototype 2!

I except this to get some front page news on this website! It’s very rare when the Scott Murphy and Mark Crowe release a demo!

Total Posts: 212

Joined 2005-10-07

PM

I’m not sure quite what to make of Prototype 2. It’s exactly what I thought it would be, but still…

When I played Prototype 1 I was never especially worried about the appearance, I was always content that they could make it look pretty, so now seeing evidence of that doesn’t change or add a great deal for me.

It’s a lot tighter than Prototype 1 though, so I hope it’s enough to drum up pledges from more visually orientated people.

Total Posts: 114

Joined 2007-08-24

PM

Hmmm, well, that’s not quite the reaction we were anticipating for giving everyone a “slice” of what our game could be like.Scott and I would personally welcome hearing directly from those who pulled to better understand what the real issue is. write us Mark, Scott or Chris(at)guysfromandromeda(dot)com.
But in the mean time, we seriously have to consider whether or not showing early prototypes was a good idea. Some people really don’t want to see how their sausage is made, I guess. But that you, the faithful for sticking with us. Your support is priceless to us. Please keep it positive on here everyone. It probably doesn’t help matters when new folk come here and see a wall of doom and gloom. Let’s beat this thing. Some good press coming!
Thanks all!

-Mark

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

I enjoyed it… and yet.. i cant help but keep coming back to thought “what is the purpose of this prototype?” Is it to show us how the game will look? No, it couldnt be… theyll have to use a much better interface than those grey icons that you just right click between, and it still gives the impression this is a jerky web game.
Is it to show us they still know what the basic elements of a point and click are? It wouldv been assumed.
What it does instead is emphasize that they dont know who their main character is, or seemingly anything about the game other than a piece of concept art. Like with schafer, people just assumed he already had a game thought out… if they had released “redbots adventure” during the funding and said “we seriously dont know what this game is going to be yet!” that wouldv hurt the funding. The time for this prototyping stuff is after the funding is done. That said, they seem to be in a hopeless position regardless.

Now, onto a slightly different topic. Kickstarter needs to wake up. They have absolutely no protection against trolls. You can spam comment sections to your hearts content and never be moderated or banned. You can donate huge amounts and pull it back, over and over and over without any consequences. This is the internet kickstarter, this stuff is basic maintenance and a must to protect your site.

Total Posts: 506

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Like with schafer, people just assumed he already had a game thought out… if they had released “redbots adventure” during the funding and said “we seriously dont know what this game is going to be yet!” that wouldv hurt the funding. The time for this prototyping stuff is after the funding is done.

Funny, because there are plenty of people who say they won’t donate without details. (Whether those people would actually donate even with details is an unknown, but it seems to be a common complaint with Kickstarters these days…) Tim’s campaign had so much momentum that people seemed to miss that he wasn’t saying anything about the game (although I did see news reports that posted the Raz concept art on their Kickstarter page as Double Fine Adventure concept art :rolleyes: ) but with Jane Jensen’s campaign, people couldn’t stop complaining about how she needed to say more about the game, put up a trailer with Moebius gameplay footage, give them a playable demo…

(And honestly I don’t think it would have hurt Tim to say “We don’t know what this game is going to be yet!”—in fact, at points he did say that. He said it to me when I interviewed him and he wasn’t shy about it at all. Anyway, what happened with Double Fine Adventure was a complete anomaly… might not be “fair,” but adventure game developers who want to put up Kickstarter campaigns in the future should NOT look at that as an example of how it works.)

I think the Two Guys are trying to address what they saw as an opportunity—to let people see the very early development as the funding happened—and it’s come back to bite them because people on the internet are fickle.

As for the prototype, I liked it. Short and not much substance, sure, but it reminded me what’s fun about the Space Quest tone. I think I’ll up my pledge a bit as a “thank you” to the guys for taking a risk by showing under the hood like that.

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

fov - 25 May 2012 11:37 AM

(although I did see news reports that posted the Raz concept art on their Kickstarter page as Double Fine Adventure concept art :rolleyes: )

I saw that too! hilarious, i think many of those sites didnt quite know what to think about this and articles had this “deer trapped in headlights” vibe.
And at the point where DFA had become a phenomena, this magical original feel-good story, it did not matter if schafer said “we have no idea what this will be!” But had there been pause at the beginning, people wouldv scrutinized it in the same way. Theres lessons to be learned with how DFA worked, but at the same time it was absolutely an anomaly, a “perfect storm.”

Total Posts: 40

Joined 2006-11-08

PM

To be fair, kickstarter campaigns always sag in the middle, and surge again toward the end. The initial surge of funding in the beginning, never reflects the average amount of funding over the course of the kickstarter, and I’m hoping that the upcoming interviews will encourage more people to pledge.

“That was, without a doubt, one of the finest examples of bunny snatching I’ve ever seen!”  - Narrator, Space Quest 4: Roger Wilco and the Time Rippers

Twitter: @TravisAC85

Total Posts: 212

Joined 2005-10-07

PM

Has there been a big problem with people pulling pledges on this project? I haven’t really been keeping a mental note of the running total.

Total Posts: 40

Joined 2006-11-08

PM

Jatsie - 25 May 2012 01:17 PM

Has there been a big problem with people pulling pledges on this project? I haven’t really been keeping a mental note of the running total.

It seemed like some pledge got pulled yesterday, but now it is going up again, and has surpassed where it was before the pledges were pulled.

“That was, without a doubt, one of the finest examples of bunny snatching I’ve ever seen!”  - Narrator, Space Quest 4: Roger Wilco and the Time Rippers

Twitter: @TravisAC85

Total Posts: 966

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

zane - 25 May 2012 11:26 AM

I enjoyed it… and yet.. i cant help but keep coming back to thought “what is the purpose of this prototype?” Is it to show us how the game will look? No, it couldnt be… theyll have to use a much better interface than those grey icons that you just right click between, and it still gives the impression this is a jerky web game.
Is it to show us they still know what the basic elements of a point and click are? It wouldv been assumed.

I think the point was just to mark milestones with a fun reward for people to help motivate people to reach the next goal. Alas that was obscured by people that saw it more as a “demo” or a “work in progress” than the amusing diversion it was meant to be.

Total Posts: 966

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

Anyway, what happened with Double Fine Adventure was a complete anomaly… might not be “fair,” but adventure game developers who want to put up Kickstarter campaigns in the future should NOT look at that as an example of how it works.)

This is true. The main thing that Tim Schafer did right was be Tim Schafer. He’s a funny, charismatic guy who, unlike most classic adventure vets, is still making fairly high profile, critically acclaimed games, so he has a pull in the media that someone like Al Lowe or Jane Jensen do not.

And, unfortunately, I can’t really think of anyone else known for classic adventure games that that’s true of. I am certain that someone will launch a game Kickstarter that breaks DFA’s record, but I am just as certain that it will not be another adventure game.

Total Posts: 643

Joined 2006-09-24

PM

I think the Two Guys are trying to address what they saw as an opportunity—to let people see the very early development as the funding happened—and it’s come back to bite them because people on the internet are fickle.

Very, very true (the entire post).

Not only that, the Double Fine forums are filled with some of the most obnoxious, arrogant comments about other kickstarters. People on there complain about not knowing enough about a project, the pitch video not being like Tim’s, etc., and I’m thinking, “Are they serious?” The fanboyism over there is quite strong, and many people spread a lot of negativity about other kickstarter projects.

That’s why I think the Two Guys should have waited a few months to launch this project. Let things calm down, then give them something new when they begin to become restless about wanting new exciting projects. They can still make it, but they need a surge. I’m not sure what that could come from, as Prototype 2 didn’t seem to convince enough people that Mark and Scott have done some thorough work on their game and have a solid plan.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top