• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Jdawg445Lady Kestrel

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Last finished game

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

SoccerDude28 - 10 May 2015 07:35 PM

It also has tons of range, which doesn’t make sense for a shotgun.

Hehe, that just means their shotguns are MORE realistic than those in other games.
Shotguns have a realistic range of 40 meters (130 feet) where all pellets are still going to be VERY close to each other. With a good high quality shotgun you could hit a rabbit or a pheasant at about 50 meters and have nearly all the buckshot hit the target.

You’ve been conditioned by video games to think reality is unrealistic. Wink

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

TimovieMan - 11 May 2015 06:48 AM

It also has tons of range, which doesn’t make sense for a shotgun.

Hehe, that just means their shotguns are MORE realistic than those in other games.
Shotguns have a realistic range of 40 meters (130 feet) where all pellets are still going to be VERY close to each other. With a good high quality shotgun you could hit a rabbit or a pheasant at about 50 meters and have nearly all the buckshot hit the target.

You’ve been conditioned by video games to think reality is unrealistic. Wink

Actually Order’s shotgun is not ordinary one either, its 3 barreled shotgun powered by none other than Tesla.

Make sense, like other weapons.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

It’s a bit intimidating Smile

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

nomadsoul - 11 May 2015 09:30 AM

Actually Order’s shotgun is not ordinary one either, its 3 barreled shotgun powered by none other than Tesla.

Everything is better with Tesla. Cool

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Finished Wolfenstein - The New Order.

Having finally upgraded my PC I can go back to last years game that I missed. This was at the top of the list and didn’t disappoint. It actualy exceded expectations. I was expeting a FPS with old-school feeling (medkits, lots of guns, secrets, no reapawning enemies, ect). It was all that and it felt great.
What I was not expecting was the characters and story that came in the package. Great cast and touching personal moments. Didn’t expect to actually be so invested in a Wolfenstein game story.
Negative points were the stealth that disn’t work very well (I basically activated the alarm immediatelly and started shooting) and the Moon level that was disappointing - small ant with annoying guns ans encounters.

Highly recommended. Best shooter in years.

Total Posts: 1279

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

The Vanishing of Ethan Carter

Finally got round to playing this and have just finished it. Overall, I’d say it’s good.

If you tear it down, the game is quite simple in story and mechanics, but it’s the execution of both these things that the game excels at. I have to admit, when I had completed the mine maze, I had kinda guessed what was going on due to the complete randomness of the “side stories” and the more information of Ethan’s hobbies we received at the end of each puzzle. The game looks amazing regardless of the settings you put it on and I hope we see more of this graphic process (real objects scanned in) in the future.

It might not be an essential title, but I would recommend.

Recently completed: Game of Thrones (decent), Tales from the borderlands (great!), Life is Strange (great!), Stasis (good), Annas Quest (great!); Broken Age (poor)

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Pros

-Yennifer
-Exponential leap in open world Storytelling production quality,
Facialanimations,expressions, Voice work and writing is equal to Main AAA linear games like LastofUs or Uncharted.
-Huge world, and which is not stingy in holding back content, lore or Story from books, CDP gave it all.
-One of the few open world RPG games where its all about strong well written and presented characters and their relationships.
Never ever was so involved in the characters since Soul Reaver or MGS games, and thats the biggest compliment i can give. Super glad they moved away from generic bald assassins plot devices of W2 and made it more like W1 and expanded upon Books.
-Music brings emotion and compliments throughout , though i felt many tracks are repeated quite often and the number of tracks starts feeling monotonous for such a huge game.
-Best horse controls.
-Witcher sense is best device to move plot and really cleverly used in some quests.
-Many sidequests tie up loose ends cleverly and helps building world.
-Yennefer

Cons

-Frustrating, clunky combat, the constant Geralt spinning is not manageable, you cant stop him from spinning and hit directly, lame moveset, and same animations from W1 to w2 to w3 of geralt spinning. Hitboxes are joke, and you can spam the shield to go in slash move back, shield go in , rinse repeat for cheap combat wins.
-Delay in getting off the tiller on ship and aiming crossbow at flying creatures, irritating not fun.
-Gold is hard to come by and world has exorbitant prices.
Do side missions, get 20 to 40 gold, go to brothel and whores ask you 40, Weapon smiths ask you 20 to 40 for repairs, and the durability hardly hits 100% on repairs, wtf??
-There are so many fetch quests you have to do, and plenty of padding, you have to explore same 3 main regions over and over again , 3 times in 3 Acts of the game, gets repetitive like anything and hurts the pacing alot. Things get really monotonous in Novigrad. Irony of it is, CDP said there will be no fetch quests and here plenty of questlines overstayed their welcome.

Still Story triumphs over bad aspects, and closure was amazing, luckily got the good ending.
Cannot wait for DLC.

9/10

Great year, MGSV is next big thing.

Total Posts: 34

Joined 2006-06-19

PM

The Order 1886

I went into this game with very low expectations after the bad reviews it got, (like a 4/10 on Edge for instance), and this is one of the most underrated games by critics I have ever seen. It is not perfect mind you, but it is way better than critics gave it credit for. It all goes back to my complaint that all journalists now want is an open world game that provides 60+ hours of gameplay, or a multiplayer component. I remember Titanfall not offering that much multi-player gameplay modes, and most gave it a pretty good review, so there are some double standards there. Anyway here is the pros and cons as I saw them:

Pros:
- Wonderful graphics that truly showcase next gen.
- A very interesting world with a unique and intriguing setting.
- Likable and Well developed characters with good voice acting.
- Good story.
- Fun third person shooting game play mechanic, and intense one on one encounters with werewolves. These QTE’s were actually fun and very intense.

Cons:
- Too short. I have to agree that it is a little on the short side. It could have benefited from a few more hours of gameplay.
- Some annoying QTEs, especially those that pop up all of a sudden out of a cutscene. These are the “Not so fun” QTE’s as they cause instadeath if you weren’t paying attention.
- Shotgun is way too OP. I died many times because of the damn shutgun yielding enemies. It also has tons of range, which doesn’t make sense for a shotgun. On the flip side, when I got hold of it, I easily could mow through the enemies. Nerf down the shotgun a little please Tongue

Overall, when I look back at this game few years from now, I will remember it fondly for the beautiful world and story it has created. It sets up for an amazing sequel oozing with potential now that the engine is already built. I really hope Sony will have the common sense to fund a sequel, and not listen to all the haters.

8/10

I agree with you and by mistake posted my views in a separate thread, although it should have been here because I just finished playing it.

Here is what I said there:

I want to congratulate the thousand or so people who worked on The Order 1886. Fantastic realism in the cut scenes and all the art, in fact. There was also plenty of shooting for people who love guns and the rough and tumble scenes were great and natural. I remember talk about making movies in future that the audience can actually participate in instead of just watch and this has the very early signs of that. There was awkwardness of movement sometimes when Galahad was crouching. But then, it is never easy to shoot and crouch, is it?

Ironically, after all the beautiful scenes and compelling story, they seemed to skimp on the ending, which was too abrupt including the part that came up after the credits. Or maybe I just didn’t want it to end and am hoping for a sequel.

If there is a part two, there ought to be three women contenders for Galahad’s affections: Izzy who is sure to be a Lycan and will try to kill him, the rebel leader and her faithful servant who might be the real Queen in the end.

This game is cutting edge and underappreciated by media. I give it an 8 out of 10.

Life is a riddle waiting to be solved.

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Bayonetta 2

Pros

- This damn game is magical,best first 30 minutes in any game. But game doesnt stop there,Platinum made it sure, that each new chapter is loaded with action and madness.
- Huge variety of Epic,jawdropping Bosses and enemies.
- Countless combos, smooth framerate, sharp visuals.
- Better art direction than predecessor.
- Music of Masami Ueda, The Man is Back in form.Composer of original RE1/2, DMC,Okami
- Tough challenging gameplay with rewarding Witch time.
- Action scenes and bosses like Contra and AfterBurner were Great!

Cons

-It finished.

Its basically best Platinum game, best WiiU game, best 3D beatemup/slasher that topped DMC1. Its pure classic that should go into collection to be played yearly atleast once.
Too bad non WiiU users missed this gem, its a shame really.
And since i played it now, i have to say its better than my last year GoTY, DA:Inquisition.

Rating: Platinum

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Bayonetta 2 and the upcoming fatal frame 5 make the wii U well worth owning in my book. Not the most successful console, but does have some great games.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Splatoon

Pros

-Subverting expectations in style, art, gameplay, mechanics , this game is so refreshing it hurts in a good way.
- Pure gameplay fun , a fluke or masterstroke, but it works and doesnt seem to get old.
- Multiplayer is tons of fun with lots of weapons to unlock, for different strategies and mechanics not just stats.
- The secondary weapon and special moves set makes it even more deep, my fav one is Kraken transformation and pwning 3 players in a row.
- Single player is imaginative, how EAD used the mechanics in different form with platforming elements and catchy music is nothing short of genius.
- Boss fights are cool and fun but its the last boss , damn one of the best bosses to ever grace gaming.

Cons

Leveling up is slow.
Communication errors though seldom, still bothersome.
Mulitplayer should have system of distributing different level players evenly.

Flabbergasted that Nintendo EAD has so much potential but circumscribed by Miyamoto and gang.
Splatoon is a gem, its a shame that Miyamoto is mentally afflicted with Mario and was trying to make it another Mario splatterfest.
Glad it sold 1 million, and i hope that in future we see less of Mario, Kirby and shit, but more experimental stuff like this.

10/10

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

nomadsoul - 24 June 2015 12:22 PM

Splatoon

Pros

-Subverting expectations in style, art, gameplay, mechanics , this game is so refreshing it hurts in a good way.
- Pure gameplay fun , a fluke or masterstroke, but it works and doesnt seem to get old.
- Multiplayer is tons of fun with lots of weapons to unlock, for different strategies and mechanics not just stats.
- The secondary weapon and special moves set makes it even more deep, my fav one is Kraken transformation and pwning 3 players in a row.
- Single player is imaginative, how EAD used the mechanics in different form with platforming elements and catchy music is nothing short of genius.
- Boss fights are cool and fun but its the last boss , damn one of the best bosses to ever grace gaming.

Cons

Leveling up is slow.
Communication errors though seldom, still bothersome.
Mulitplayer should have system of distributing different level players evenly.

Flabbergasted that Nintendo EAD has so much potential but circumscribed by Miyamoto and gang.
Splatoon is a gem, its a shame that Miyamoto is mentally afflicted with Mario and was trying to make it another Mario splatterfest.
Glad it sold 1 million, and i hope that in future we see less of Mario, Kirby and shit, but more experimental stuff like this.

10/10

It also moved a million copies on a very weak (commercially) platform. Goes to show, you don’t need to plaster a Zelda or a Mario on every box to make a good high selling game.

Total Posts: 22

Joined 2008-09-02

PM

Catherine - 8/10. Great fun, and a curious attempt to enmesh a puzzle-platformer with an adventure game.

Or Hatoful Boyfriend, if you count having gone through yet another ‘ending’ in an attempt to unravel the story completely. Provisionally, I’d give this the same score.

Total Posts: 1620

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

I just beat gabriel knight 1 for the first time, but before that I beat my favorite game ever again. I play it at least once yearly the game is wing commander 4.

Pros-

One of like only 4 or 5 FMV games to ever be worth a dang

A great story where your choice and skill as a pilot actually matter. The game I believe has 4 distinct endings.

A great cast that includes Malcolm Mcdowell from a clock work orange, Mark Hamil aka luke skywalker, Tom Wilson aka Biff from Back to the future, and John Rhys-davies fro lord of the rings.

Ship Design is great in this game as well as design of the cap ships

the creators of this game used real sets instead of blue or green screen

The story is also pretty amazing and ends the original wing commander saga on a great note.

Cons

the gameplay can be a bit bland in mission structure and design

The enemy AI constantly Missile spams you and a 1 missile hit is an insta death

Overall I give this game a 10/10

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Wonderful 101

Pros

- Deep combo systems with no handholding or tutorials.
- Hardcore gameplay, slasher/Beatemup with lots of setpieces.

Cons

- Camera angle, gimmicks, inside views on game pad, loading screens, hard to pull off design patterns in fast fights, your characters get mixed up with enemies and other heroes, bad platforming sections.

I think H.kamiya’s gamedesign idiosyncrasies and fixing the camera angle for such a hioctane action game was a really weak underpinning that marred the overall experience.

6/10

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top