• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

CaliMonkDale

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Last finished game

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

wilco - 22 March 2015 03:09 PM

I was exaggerating of course, I wouldn’t have bought FF type-0 if I was only interested in the 15 demo, but sure, first thing I did was download the FF15 demo… Curiosity!

@nomad

I feel the combat systems are very different, FF type0 feels more like an action RPG e and FF15 more strategic without actually being turn-based. I felt more important that dodge was the parry and sword-teleporting. The camera does suck and the powers in the demo are still very restrictive.
I’m liking Type-0 Thumbs Up

Game actually starts when you will face general Qator for the first time.

With eight you can all out Stevefox(tekken) on the battlefield, use Promotion from save points to buy skills, he becomes Platinum/Kamiya type character, with punching/fireball/Dash moves across the battlefield.

Deuce is great innovative take on Healers and support characters, her fireballs are homing and you can take back seat to buff up your allies. She plays great flute.

Cater is best of the best, stand afar and spam with bullets and dash like Sonic.
I keep her in the last as final backup plan.

Oh and yes that bow/Arrow guy is beast too. The sheer variety of characters and their movesets actually makes FFXV single character limited.
Tabata should have made all 4 characters playable.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

nomadsoul - 22 March 2015 04:00 PM
wilco - 22 March 2015 03:09 PM

I was exaggerating of course, I wouldn’t have bought FF type-0 if I was only interested in the 15 demo, but sure, first thing I did was download the FF15 demo… Curiosity!

@nomad

I feel the combat systems are very different, FF type0 feels more like an action RPG e and FF15 more strategic without actually being turn-based. I felt more important that dodge was the parry and sword-teleporting. The camera does suck and the powers in the demo are still very restrictive.
I’m liking Type-0 Thumbs Up

Game actually starts when you will face general Qator for the first time.

With eight you can all out Stevefox(tekken) on the battlefield, use Promotion from save points to buy skills, he becomes Platinum/Kamiya type character, with punching/fireball/Dash moves across the battlefield.

Deuce is great innovative take on Healers and support characters, her fireballs are homing and you can take back seat to buff up your allies. She plays great flute.

Cater is best of the best, stand afar and spam with bullets and dash like Sonic.
I keep her in the last as final backup plan.

Oh and yes that bow/Arrow guy is beast too. The sheer variety of characters and their movesets actually makes FFXV single character limited.
Tabata should have made all 4 characters playable.

This is very true, at least it feels limited specially because of the dumb AI and the side characters having some different skills (close-combat; long range, etc). I’m guessing you’ll be able to influence their actions like in FF12; FF13 but it’s not the same controlling them.
I’ll probably like FF type-0 but next week it will be put on hold… (Bloodborne!!)

Total Posts: 187

Joined 2013-11-12

PM

Finished the normal worlds of Hako Boy (3DS), a great DL-only puzzle game by HAL Laboratory. You play as a cute cube who has the power to spawn blocks out of himself and you use them to solve puzzles and get to the end of the level. There are some neat puzzles here, and each world introduces a new gimmick that forces you find new ways to use your block-spawning powers. The main game isn’t that hard, but you unlock a couple of extra worlds after the main game which are a lot more difficult.

“Rationality, that was it. No esoteric mumbo jumbo could fool that fellow. Lord, no! His two feet were planted solidly on God’s good earth” - Ellery Queen, The Lamp of God

Total Posts: 28

Joined 2010-05-14

PM

Replayed Final Fantasy 8. It’s been over 12 years i think and damn do i love the game Smile. Beat Omega weapon, did all quests and got all the cards. Might play FFIX next Smile

9,5/10

Total Posts: 1279

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

The Book of Unwritten Tales 

Without a doubt, I can honestly say the puzzles in this game are brilliant. They’re well thought out, explained, rewarding and above all else, logical. I only had to check a guide twice throughout my time with the game - and one of them was simple because of an error where an item wasn’t showing as a hot spot. There’s a fair amount to explore and pick up, but it never leaves you guessing what to do. You’ll know what you’ll need to do, just not how to do it exactly. 

My only real complaint is the story. It’s very light hearted in its approach - and that’s fine - but the story just sort of builds up into nothing. You can see they tried to make some twists and turns here and there and some character development, but ultimately they never quite stick with it. They just sort of fade away and it kinda left it feeling a bit hollow at the end. I think if they had perhaps shortened and refined the story a bit more, it could of really been something special. As it is, it’s an enjoyable game I’d recommend. Just don’t expect much from the story.

Recently completed: Game of Thrones (decent), Tales from the borderlands (great!), Life is Strange (great!), Stasis (good), Annas Quest (great!); Broken Age (poor)

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Bloodborne

After doing True ending.

Pros

- Best survival Horror game after SH and RE days, Upper Cathedral area proves that FS can do wonders with music and atmosphere alone. But its the loss of vials, progress from last checkpoint, blood echoes etc that makes the loss more like a loss unlike checkpoint based horror games.
- Best Castlevania and Bloodlust game that was never made. Still a little bit sad that Cainhurst castle didnt last long.
- All the Souls series best elements with fat been cut i.e managing equipment load and going back to storage for managing items
to help movement and stamina is gone for good.
- Best lovecraftian world inspiration after Eternal darkness and CoC:Dark corners of the Earth.
  From Software are already in their own league with art design and they took Cosmic horror to new levels by making not just
creatures but also mechanics based on that. (Inspired by lovecraftian Dream Cycle series)
-You cannot decipher the world initially but gradually with more insight the world changes in something else, the narrative is punctuated by art, design and insight mechanic. Insight also makes the enemies more hard, they perform more varied attacks, genius.
- Music of bosses is epic and full of macabre.
- Level design, complexity and variety is nonplussing in a good way, the ambiance it creates is cherry on the top.
- Trick weapons and guns are genius mechanically, it adds layers of depth in gameplay and you cannot think and play the game same way with different weapons.

Cons

- Multiplayer is not flexible, ringing bells and waiting for players is fatigue. Pass system works but only if with your friend close to your level ringing bells too like an idiot to connect. Its step down from previous smooth messaging system.
- Not a con but i was constantly comparing to best of the series Demon’s Souls and i found bosses of Demon’s Souls better in design, impact and variety.
Bloodborne has 4 memorable fights while Demon’s Souls had 8.

Still best game i ever played along with Demon’s Souls, i don’t know which one is more close to me but they are both on top.

So 10/10 and Goty and GotG contender already.

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Mortal Kombat X

Pros

-Decent B Movie Story campaign , that follow footsteps of Injustice and reinforces the fact that Injustice 2 Story campaign is in safer hands.

-Sick and twisted fatalities, the exploitation and hyper violence reaches new limits due to heavy detail and expression.

-Much smoother and better gameplay than NetherRealm previous games, smooth 60fps and
great IQ on PS4.

-Great new characters, design and movesets, old characters are great with more swag.

-Three fighting modes is great addition to keep player busy with more content.

-Krypt mode, is adventure game like Myst, atmosphere like souls, you explore and unlock stuff, solve some puzzles. Great side mode and AGamers will dig it, i did.
But its not that long, still great feel.

Cons

-Brutalities are great addition , but some require stupid feats within rounds.
-Jhonny Cage face is height of douchebaggery, irritating.
-Netcode is hammered and less smooth. 

Great fighting game, and best MK game after MK2.

9/10

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

Alien Isolation

Finally finished this and wow is it good. They’ve captured the tone, look and atmosphere brilliantly in this game and somehow managed to make the alien scary again. Every action felt like it say firmly in that universe and the Sevastopoll itself was designed really well.

The story was done well and kept you itching to keep playing. However, as others have stated, I couldn’t help but feel it suffered from padding. It felt like the developers were worried they were making a short game and as such, stuck some really tedious objectives in there like go turn the power on here, here and here…and here…and here. It felt like they had created a great world, but they lacked the creativity to do anything with it other then fetch quests.

If they had cut some of them out, it would of been better I feel. If Isolation 2 does arrive and they take this into account, I’m definitely interested.

Recently completed: Game of Thrones (decent), Tales from the borderlands (great!), Life is Strange (great!), Stasis (good), Annas Quest (great!); Broken Age (poor)

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Assassin’s Creed Chronicles: China

It’s the 2D platformer that was initially going to be part of the AC: Unity Season Pass.
It’s stealth 2D like Mark of the Ninja but it’s very average. Game is short but still manages to be kind of repetitive. The stealth works ok, level design is very linear but you have some experimentation and can tackle enemies in different ways. Combat reminds me of old Prince of Persia but because you usually lots of enemies around not effective at all and usually leads to death. The more interesting sections where actually the timed platforming that kind of reminded of some parts of PoP and BG&E
Story and voice acting was surprisingly very bad for a Assassins Creed game. I think the setting is kind of waste, would like to see it in a main series game - has huge potential and would be different from the usual Europe architecture - maybe it’s still possible?
Nothing special but ok for the cheap price ($9.99) Will still get the Chronicles episodes set in India and Russia that will come out later in the year. (Well, it’s still Assassins Creed Smile )

Total Posts: 33

Joined 2011-07-05

PM

Broken Sword - Director’s Cut

I was surprised how much extra content was added to the director’s cut. Certainly more than I had anticipated. Director’s cut still had a few bugs but didn’t stop me from completing the game. If anyone is interested, I was able to complete the game on Windows 10 64bit, build 10074.

Liked;
- Setting
- Story
- Artwork
- Humor
- English voice acting

Disliked;
- Short in length

I am giving Broken Sword the same score I probably would of given the original.

9/10

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

Grim Fandango

Apart from the odd weird puzzle here and there and the annoying need to travel through 3/4 scenes for one object/action etc, I found the puzzles quite good. I think this games real strength is in the characters and world more then anything else. Tim Schafer’s vision and design for this shines through strongly, but it sadly lacks the depth in the story to feel rewarding in the end. After act 2, the story seemed to just fall flat.

Broken Age

Just like the story, the games a tale of two half’s. Act one builds a good story with mostly fun puzzles and interesting characters, but in act two we see that hard work stepped on by a senseless plot and puzzles that feel repetitive and too much like padding. Although most of the puzzles are good, the occasional try everything with anything on every scene mentality from old adventure games rears it’s ugly head. The one big plus I thought was the animation and art direction which really works well.

Total Posts: 187

Joined 2013-11-12

PM

This month I finally got around to playing both Mother 2 (Earthbound) (GBA version) and Mother 3 (GBA). Enjoyed them both quite a lot. Storywise and as well as a RPG, Mother 3 was clearly the superior one, but I still prefer Mother 2, because Itoi’s quirky script and characters just work better in the more open (AND LESS HEAVY) world of 2, rather than in the more storydriven world of 3, I think. Itoi’s script for both games is absolutely brilliant by the way, and the way he plays with characters, themes, conventions and player-game interaction is just amazing.

“Rationality, that was it. No esoteric mumbo jumbo could fool that fellow. Lord, no! His two feet were planted solidly on God’s good earth” - Ellery Queen, The Lamp of God

Total Posts: 33

Joined 2011-07-05

PM

Cryostasis: Sleep of Reason (PC)

Liked;
- Atmosphere
- Story
- Gameplay

Disliked;
- Bugs and crashes (seemed to get worse closer to the end)
- Sluggish combat

This game has similarities with the setting of The Thing, combat of Condemned and the story of Silent Hill. The story is what kept me playing to the end, although the constant crashing almost got the point of stopping altogether. Glad that I finished it though. Have to give this game some props with some amazing action sequences that I can’t remember ever seeing before and the unique game play elements.

8/10

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

Broken Age:

I was skeptical a bit when I started playing Act 2 of Broken Age because I saw some mixed reviews of the second act. I completely fell in love with it, and I have to say that taken as a whole, Broken Age is one of the best adventure games I have played in years. It really feels right in place next to the old Lucas Arts classics like Full Throttle and Sam & Max. Maybe not at the same tier as DOTT and Grim but then again, no other games are at that level. The puzzles are really clever and well thought out, and they are much more diverse than the “use everything in your inventory on everything”. The game is not laugh out loud funny, but it has that Tim Schafer quirky sense of humor that puts a smile on your face often. The art direction is outstanding, and the whole thing feels like a series of paintings come to life. Overall, I highly recommend everyone play this game. Maybe you’ll love it like I did.

10/10

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

The Order 1886

I went into this game with very low expectations after the bad reviews it got, (like a 4/10 on Edge for instance), and this is one of the most underrated games by critics I have ever seen. It is not perfect mind you, but it is way better than critics gave it credit for. It all goes back to my complaint that all journalists now want is an open world game that provides 60+ hours of gameplay, or a multiplayer component. I remember Titanfall not offering that much multi-player gameplay modes, and most gave it a pretty good review, so there are some double standards there. Anyway here is the pros and cons as I saw them:

Pros:
- Wonderful graphics that truly showcase next gen.
- A very interesting world with a unique and intriguing setting.
- Likable and Well developed characters with good voice acting.
- Good story.
- Fun third person shooting game play mechanic, and intense one on one encounters with werewolves. These QTE’s were actually fun and very intense.

Cons:
- Too short. I have to agree that it is a little on the short side. It could have benefited from a few more hours of gameplay.
- Some annoying QTEs, especially those that pop up all of a sudden out of a cutscene. These are the “Not so fun” QTE’s as they cause instadeath if you weren’t paying attention.
- Shotgun is way too OP. I died many times because of the damn shutgun yielding enemies. It also has tons of range, which doesn’t make sense for a shotgun. On the flip side, when I got hold of it, I easily could mow through the enemies. Nerf down the shotgun a little please Tongue

Overall, when I look back at this game few years from now, I will remember it fondly for the beautiful world and story it has created. It sets up for an amazing sequel oozing with potential now that the engine is already built. I really hope Sony will have the common sense to fund a sequel, and not listen to all the haters.

8/10

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top