• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Gabrielrtrooney

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Last finished game

Total Posts: 1338

Joined 2009-08-06

PM

wilco - 26 February 2015 07:01 PM

The Order has some big problems (boss fights QTEs, typical modern combat, story needs sequel for example) but definitely didn’t deserve to be crapped on…

Well…depends on what you consider crapped on. If you acknowledge the game to have big problems like the ones you mentioned an average score of 6.8 could sound about right.

I am not hating on The Order and generally I don’t hold a lot of merit to the big review outlets in the business, but even smaller well opiniated groups that are pretty lenient in general and don’t get paid for doing reviews(Mega64) called the game upon its flaws and said the game is a prime example of a perfect rental.
They also concluded that the game would have done far better if it was a launch-title as a game that would show off the power of the console, but unfortunately it doesn’t have that going for itself because it was released so far down the PS4 product life cycle.

I will probably check out the game someday, when it has a lower price tag attached to it.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Dying light best new Survival Horror IP surpassing Evilwithin, without Bethesda Marketing $ that is. Reviews came after release.
Destiny rated poorly, 6 to 7 for super hyped game and sold bajillions.
BSInfinite was super highly critically acclaimed and what not, Irrational disbanded, no break even.

I think reviewers are losing significance (a good sign), big outlets or not, many are striving to live on click bait articles, polygon to ign, either they make news of tweets,
researched news form neogaf or by own controversial opinions. Behind all the debate they generate by shit articles or reviews and ending with share your comments, the user of that site forgets in flamewar that he is generating revenues for these people by constantly dissing back and forth.

So if Sony won’t pay them they will make money anyway.

I see plenty of streamers on PS4, who are able to afford games, where one segment waits for discounts and flashsales to increase backlog and play games for escapism, others who can afford to buy , ignore reviews and buy for other reasons, as enthusiasts.

Lets see how market will change in future, but signs are good for PS4/xb1 and its userbase.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Origami - 27 February 2015 05:43 AM

Well…depends on what you consider crapped on. If you acknowledge the game to have big problems like the ones you mentioned an average score of 6.8 could sound about right.

I am not hating on The Order and generally I don’t hold a lot of merit to the big review outlets in the business, but even smaller well opiniated groups that are pretty lenient in general and don’t get paid for doing reviews(Mega64) called the game upon its flaws and said the game is a prime example of a perfect rental.
They also concluded that the game would have done far better if it was a launch-title as a game that would show off the power of the console, but unfortunately it doesn’t have that going for itself because it was released so far down the PS4 product life cycle.

I will probably check out the game someday, when it has a lower price tag attached to it.

Maybe crapped on was not the best expression Smile but it did have a lot of unfair potshots that were ignored in other big releases. (and calling it a rental is not really informative or makes sense in gaming).
Nothing wrong with waiting for a price drop for this or any game. My opinion is that it’s really worth playing despite it’s faults.

nomadsoul - 27 February 2015 07:12 AM

Dying light best new Survival Horror IP surpassing Evilwithin, without Bethesda Marketing $ that is. Reviews came after release.
Destiny rated poorly, 6 to 7 for super hyped game and sold bajillions.
BSInfinite was super highly critically acclaimed and what not, Irrational disbanded, no break even.

I think reviewers are losing significance (a good sign), big outlets or not, many are striving to live on click bait articles, polygon to ign, either they make news of tweets,
researched news form neogaf or by own controversial opinions. Behind all the debate they generate by shit articles or reviews and ending with share your comments, the user of that site forgets in flamewar that he is generating revenues for these people by constantly dissing back and forth.

So if Sony won’t pay them they will make money anyway.

I see plenty of streamers on PS4, who are able to afford games, where one segment waits for discounts and flashsales to increase backlog and play games for escapism, others who can afford to buy , ignore reviews and buy for other reasons, as enthusiasts.

Lets see how market will change in future, but signs are good for PS4/xb1 and its userbase.

I hope reviews are losing importance. Metacritic needs to disappear… Mainstream videogame journalism is a mess right now in an attempt to remain relevant.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

wilco - 27 February 2015 09:02 AM

Metacritic needs to disappear…

Hear, hear!

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 3

Joined 2015-02-27

PM

Max Payne - super cool! I will go with part 2.

Total Posts: 27

Joined 2015-02-05

PM

Is this thread still dedicated to what you played last and finished?  If so, then I (and the kiddos) played Under a Killing Moon, and Nancy Drew’s Crystal Skull game.  We play on entertainment (junior detective) levels.  Objective was simple fun and was not disappointed.

Next up Pandora Directive. 
Maybe one day I’ll beat that blasted machine in Steamworld Dig, but I’m not going to hold my breath.

One mean, green-eyed fitch.

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

EvilWithin: The Assignment

- The whole DLC is Stealth and Story heavy, hardly any gun use, only one instance.
- Story is really good, better than main game, because its presented well, it answers
alot of questions and apparently Sebastian arc was just incomplete from lot of angles.
- Kidman is alot better than Sebastain, feels less wooden in personality.
- The Stem mind bending stuff is Inception like, and ties loose ends.
- New main Villain revealed, way better than Ruvik.
- Lightlady is one of the best horror enemy designed, up there with Pyramidhead, Nurses,
Scissorman, her encounters are clock tower type(Hide and Run).
- Lots of decent puzzles, the way you use flashlight to solve puzzles is way better than main game puzzles.
- For some reason the Music, sound and environment are also more creepy.

All in all , great experimental effort and cannot wait for DLC2.

4.5/5

Total Posts: 1279

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

Got Valiant Hearts in the ubi sale and just finished it.

Wow is it powerful. Despite the amazing cartoon graphics and style, it beautifully tells a story around five characters and their lives in an ugly, ugly war. It’s great throughout, but the last chapter really kicks you in the gut. I don’t just mean because it’s the final part of the story either. Along side the main story, it gives you information on the war itself and just how shocking it was.

I would HIGHLY recommend anyone play it.

Recently completed: Game of Thrones (decent), Tales from the borderlands (great!), Life is Strange (great!), Stasis (good), Annas Quest (great!); Broken Age (poor)

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Tad - 16 March 2015 11:31 AM

Got Valiant Hearts in the ubi sale and just finished it.

Wow is it powerful. Despite the amazing cartoon graphics and style, it beautifully tells a story around five characters and their lives in an ugly, ugly war. It’s great throughout, but the last chapter really kicks you in the gut. I don’t just mean because it’s the final part of the story either. Along side the main story, it gives you information on the war itself and just how shocking it was.

I would HIGHLY recommend anyone play it.

I agree, it’s a very good game. Unfortunately. I’m not sure we’ll see anything like it from Ubisoft for a while. The director of the game left Ubisoft to work on an indie company.

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

I loved Valiant Hearts (check my avatar of Walt Grin), and I really think it is under appreciated by a lot of the forum users here (just like the Danganronpa games) because it is not traditional and feels consoly. Like you said, that final chapter packed in lots of strong feelings.

Total Posts: 1279

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

I’ve noticed a little bit of that on here before. If it deviates from the traditionally methods some look a bit down towards it. It’s a shame, but hopefully it will change as time goes on.

The puzzles were really well done I thought and I hope we see more. Though, what Wilco said about the lead leaving is sad to hear.

Can’t believe some of the statistics in the game though. Fifty thousand men dying a month in one battle. It’s just mind boggling how it just went on and on.

Recently completed: Game of Thrones (decent), Tales from the borderlands (great!), Life is Strange (great!), Stasis (good), Annas Quest (great!); Broken Age (poor)

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

It’s not really the game but I finished the FF15 demo

- It’s pretty big, took me around 4-5h.
- Looks very good, big map to explore, even in a demo, nothing like FF13
- Framerate is still very unstable
- Not turn-based
- Tough demo, kept dying, but I think it was because I was approaching it like an action-RPG and was always attacking. You have to be very careful about the use of special attacks and always defending a be ready to move. Parrying also important.
- I hope companion AI improves a lot, they basically stand around in battles in the demo, taking a lot a time to actually have any initiative.
- Summon was so over-the-top! Looked amazing, reminded the first watching a summon in FF7
- I wanted to drive the car…

And now to play the free game that came with the demo Smile

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

wilco - 20 March 2015 03:59 PM

It’s not really the game but I finished the FF15 demo

- It’s pretty big, took me around 4-5h.
- Looks very good, big map to explore, even in a demo, nothing like FF13
- Framerate is still very unstable
- Not turn-based
- Tough demo, kept dying, but I think it was because I was approaching it like an action-RPG and was always attacking. You have to be very careful about the use of special attacks and always defending a be ready to move. Parrying also important.
- I hope companion AI improves a lot, they basically stand around in battles in the demo, taking a lot a time to actually have any initiative.
- Summon was so over-the-top! Looked amazing, reminded the first watching a summon in FF7
- I wanted to drive the car…

And now to play the free game that came with the demo Smile

That free game is much better in gameplay, in FFXV demo i was missing lack of dodge button, esp when camera doesn’t show you anything, and sabretuskstiger type fast enemies
lunging left to right, its imperative to do some action and evade to safer zone immediately without revolving camera, and thats where the stupid, “look/aim to enemy and hold Dodge to dodge” fails.
Also if you will press dodge in between combos it takes a while , and you can only dodge enemy you face not at your back, in Type0 you have not only different evades for 14 characters, you can increase their speed and times of evades, it changes the entire flow of battle.
I am hoping KH type input feedback in the final release, but the game was awesome for few minutes i played.
FF is back with this and Type0, top at the best of JRPGs again.

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

It’s Zone of the Enders all over again.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

I was exaggerating of course, I wouldn’t have bought FF type-0 if I was only interested in the 15 demo, but sure, first thing I did was download the FF15 demo… Curiosity!

@nomad

I feel the combat systems are very different, FF type0 feels more like an action RPG e and FF15 more strategic without actually being turn-based. I felt more important that dodge was the parry and sword-teleporting. The camera does suck and the powers in the demo are still very restrictive.
I’m liking Type-0 Thumbs Up

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top