• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Lady KestrelluckyloserTheTMD

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

General Gaming News Thread

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

arrron - 04 March 2015 09:41 AM

For me HL2 was awesome,HL is a classic in general speaking but a game with so many pro and cons for all games who played at the time, what i’ve been notice is that all commentaries are after few years,i mean about cons.

I didn’t like their approach to go full exposure, with all the things happening, City17 was just another Euro city, then banal names like City 17, Dog etc.
Later even Alien started talking versus original HL which was too implicit, to leave the
story for players to interpret.
Also the silent protagonist was holding the whole narrative back, mute heroes is weak link, i hope they will justify it in HL3, its just breaks the experience when so much happens around you and you don’t utter a single word or atleast give choices if they want to give feel of player as the main guy.

Well, lets talk about talkative Lead guy in FPS,

Wolfenstein: The Old Blood announced ($20, standalone, PC/XB1/PS4)

My fav shooter of last year Heart , returns with more guns and plot.
May 5 for $20, digital only.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Tad - 04 March 2015 05:03 AM

Bit of a confession…but I don’t actually like Half Life. *recoils due to expecting a punch*

The tech was good, but I just never found it that compelling or interesting as a game. Kinda like Unreal or Crysis I suppose.

Regardless, I think at this stage it would never live up to the hype.

Just out of curiosity, do you like any FPS? Smile

Half-Life completely broke new grounds in the world of FPS dominated by Quake, Unreal.

Half-Life 2 was also did a lot of new stuff (gravity gun, physics, set pieces, companion AI Alyx Vance). It had a bit of pacing problems but Episode 1 and 2 corrected it.

I doubt HL3 will live up to the hype but at this point I just want to see how the story ends. I’m kind of afraid that HL3 will follow modern FPS design with terrible stuff like regenerating health or corridor setpieces gameplay.

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

nomadsoul - 04 March 2015 09:32 AM

HL was amazing for its time, subtle environmental story telling, HL2 was generic alien drivel, and later talking aliens were cringe worthy at best.
You are not alone, though PC users/oldfans will inflate is importance regardless.

What? That’s Halo, not Half-Life Smile

Total Posts: 1279

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

wilco - 04 March 2015 01:51 PM
Tad - 04 March 2015 05:03 AM

Bit of a confession…but I don’t actually like Half Life. *recoils due to expecting a punch*

The tech was good, but I just never found it that compelling or interesting as a game. Kinda like Unreal or Crysis I suppose.

Regardless, I think at this stage it would never live up to the hype.

Just out of curiosity, do you like any FPS? Smile

Half-Life completely broke new grounds in the world of FPS dominated by Quake, Unreal.

Half-Life 2 was also did a lot of new stuff (gravity gun, physics, set pieces, companion AI Alyx Vance). It had a bit of pacing problems but Episode 1 and 2 corrected it.

I doubt HL3 will live up to the hype but at this point I just want to see how the story ends. I’m kind of afraid that HL3 will follow modern FPS design with terrible stuff like regenerating health or corridor setpieces gameplay.

Hehe, thanks for pulling your punches Wink

I do like FPS’ s. Not all granted, but I’ve just come to the conclusion Half Life just doesn’t click for me.  I’ve tried numerous times to play it but I just can’t get into the story etc.

Recently completed: Game of Thrones (decent), Tales from the borderlands (great!), Life is Strange (great!), Stasis (good), Annas Quest (great!); Broken Age (poor)

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

What’s wrong with regenerating health? Games like Uncharted, Gears of War, and Resistance 2 have them and I think it works great. I actually prefer it to the health kit gameplay mechanic. I remember back in Doom/HL, I used to hit quick save after every enemy encounter because god help you if you screw up, and your health is too low, and there are no health kits around. Granted with check points, it is not that bad, but I think regenerating health makes things more streamlined.

As far as HL/HL2 goes, they are the 2 best first person shooters ever made in my opinion (in addition to Doom 2 of course). Even to this day, I have fun playing the original half life. And half life 2, I’ve replayed it like 10 times, and it never gets old.

Total Posts: 495

Joined 2008-07-23

PM

SoccerDude28 - 04 March 2015 03:57 PM

What’s wrong with regenerating health

That feeling of dread when you have less than 10 % health is something that triple A gaming nowadays just can`t match. (Dark Souls being a great exception)

Women come and go… a highscore lasts forever

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

What’s wrong with regenerating health? Games like Uncharted, Gears of War, and Resistance 2 have them and I think it works great. I actually prefer it to the health kit gameplay mechanic. I remember back in Doom/HL, I used to hit quick save after every enemy encounter because god help you if you screw up, and your health is too low, and there are no health kits around. Granted with check points, it is not that bad, but I think regenerating health makes things more streamlined.

Takes any strategy or caution in combat. It’s shoot, shoot until the screen goes red - duck behind some random wall for 5 seconds to have full health again - repeat, repeat, repeat. I tolerate it but I personally don’t like it, it’s streamlined but way too streamlined to the point of being ridiculous.

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

What’s wrong with regenerating health? Games like Uncharted, Gears of War, and Resistance 2 have them and I think it works great. I actually prefer it to the health kit gameplay mechanic. I remember back in Doom/HL

Again Wolfenstein is the answer, they made great shooter last year, with same finding medkit/armour gameplay, and it worked.

Problem is its hard to design gameplay around that, but it could still work.
If you didn’t play it , i recommend renting it.

Finding health stations and sound they make are iconic stuff of HL, i think they should stick to that design, like Portal series they can actually execute a clever FPS.

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

wilco - 04 March 2015 01:53 PM

HL was amazing for its time, subtle environmental story telling, HL2 was generic alien drivel, and later talking aliens were cringe worthy at best.
You are not alone, though PC users/oldfans will inflate is importance regardless.

Halo made me forget HL actually, the aliens/space scifi epic was the theme from the getgo, HL seems like finding ways to evolve.
They made generic one eyed, brown electricity alien from HL1 and made him talking
species with meh twist, not to mention G-man shtick got boring , dragged too much.
Now please don’t compare them brown aliens with Brutes or covenants, Halo universe
inspired NielBolkamp to Ridleyscott to Speilberg.
Not to mention its contemporary Starwars, and became cultural phenomena.
Had it been not for Halo , you would not been investing hours in Halo’s illegitimate child Destiny
Wink

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

wilco - 04 March 2015 05:35 PM

Takes any strategy or caution in combat. It’s shoot, shoot until the screen goes red - duck behind some random wall for 5 seconds to have full health again - repeat, repeat, repeat. I tolerate it but I personally don’t like it, it’s streamlined but way too streamlined to the point of being ridiculous.

Have you played Gears of War (with a friend and not the retarded AI). Try to just shoot your way in that game on hardcore, and you will be destroyed. There is so much strategy involved like flanking, when to run between covers, and when to melee. Just because it uses health regeneration does not mean that it is mindless.

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

nomadsoul - 04 March 2015 06:09 PM

Halo made me forget HL actually, the aliens/space scifi epic was the theme from the getgo, HL seems like finding ways to evolve.
They made generic one eyed, brown electricity alien from HL1 and made him talking
species with meh twist, not to mention G-man shtick got boring , dragged too much.
Now please don’t compare them brown aliens with Brutes or covenants, Halo universe
Had it been not for Halo , you would not been investing hours in Halo’s illegitimate child Destiny
Wink

I think you are confusing Halo and Half Life Tongue But no seriously, Halo is the most overrated game in existence, and Half Life is just pure gaming nirvana.

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Wink

I actually still only played the first Halo, I thought it was uninspired borrowing too much from other scifi movies/games and the generic protagonist. (But mostly I didn’t like the game because of the level design). I do think the sequels are probably a lot better and still hope Microsoft brings the collection to PC someday (or if I ever get the Xbone).

Half-Life saga is pretty good, tons of details had to be seen in the environment and through the newspapers, Breen’s speeches. I do agree that Gordon Freeman needs to speak up Smile

Destiny rocks! Next expansion will be good  Tongue

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

SoccerDude28 - 04 March 2015 06:52 PM

Have you played Gears of War (with a friend and not the retarded AI). Try to just shoot your way in that game on hardcore, and you will be destroyed. There is so much strategy involved like flanking, when to run between covers, and when to melee. Just because it uses health regeneration does not mean that it is mindless.

I never played Gears of War Neutral  , maybe it makes sense there but in CoD games or Uncharted (and its clones) and regen health usually means fighting waves and waves of enemy jumping from places to cover when the screen goes red. It is good for the continuous cinematic feeling…

(I need to play Wolfenstein)

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

SoccerDude28 - 04 March 2015 06:54 PM

Wink

I think you are confusing Halo and Half Life Tongue But no seriously, Halo is the most overrated game in existence, and Half Life is just pure gaming nirvana.

The other nirvana you discussed aka was a Kill.Switch ripoff, and guess what took
regen health you are defending, which Halo popularized.
Argument has come full circle Smile

@wilco

Hey you cannot criticize halo and love Destiny in the same statement.
And Halo borrows from other Scifi, well better than something going wrong in the lab,
it always something gone wrong in the lab since RE1.

But wait,

The Combine Empire invades and takes control of the Vortigaunts’ homeworld (which we have never seen), and attempt to enslave them

The Combine, who have been keeping an eye on Earth since the resonance cascade, finally decide to take action. They plan on taking the Portal Storms to their advantage and use them as a method to mount an invasion on Earth.

This feels like Fifty shades of grey version of Scifi.

You should have given Halo a chance to finish its first arc till Halo3.
The whole Ring concept, high scale battles with number of great vehicles were much more
better than straight up corridor shooter with mute MIT graduate. No wonder Valve felt need to put vehicles in HL2 which didn’t work as good as Halo ones.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Reading this discussion makes me glad I gave up on FPS over a decade ago (Mass Effect trilogy excluded, but that’s an RPG hybrid). Tongue

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top