• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

diego

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Two Guys from Andromeda (Space Quest creators) on Kickstarter

Total Posts: 506

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Panthera - 22 May 2012 11:53 AM

There are, unfortunately, many more where it came from, in the comments section on the latest update.

All from the same guy, though. Everyone else seems to be calling him out for being an idiot. Wink

Total Posts: 133

Joined 2006-02-14

PM

Well, yes, he’s the only openly misogynist pig, but there are others saying that a female protagonist would put them completely off the game, and not being able to “put themselves in the shoes” of a female protagonist/female protagonist is immersion-breaking.

Which is an argument I do not understand at all. When you play a third-person game you play a known, named protagonist with his/her own views, motivations and personality. You follow that person through the game, learning along with him/her how the world works and how they react similarly/different than you to the situations that arise.
It’s completely different from playing an RPG where you create your own character or an MMO (which are both game-types were I prefer playing a woman).

Immersing yourself in a 3rd person world means, for me, following the story along-side the protagonist, learning how that person works and reacts to things, and thinking about how you’d react in the same situation.
Of course, it doesn’t always work, I’ve played several games, especially casual games, where I become seriously annoyed that I have to go do stupid things or do what the evil entity wants when walking away would be smarter, but in those games defence, they usually go for a first-person unnamed protagonist, and therefore it becomes more “me” playing than the unnamed mother who does stupid things, so I’m mad because “I” can’t do what I think is the best solution in that situation..

I play story-heavy games, watch animation, anime, B-movies, disaster movies, sci-fi movies and crime shows and try to write about it all on my blog: Snark, pedantry and random geekery

Total Posts: 86

Joined 2003-09-21

PM

You’re right, Panthera. It’s a very weird way of looking at it. I wonder if they’d skip a book, television show or movie if the lead was a woman. Their loss, I guess. (Missing out on the likes of April Ryan, Grace Nakimura and etc.) I like to think these warped perspectives are just the vocal minority. Tongue

Right or wrong, weak or strong.

Total Posts: 133

Joined 2006-02-14

PM

I’d like to think so too, but it is a pretty mainstream view in some ways;
Hollywood believes that men won’t see a film with a female lead, and book publishers don’t believe boys will read books with female leads. For example, Harry Potter is seen as a general kids book (because girls have never had a problem with male leads) while the Hunger Games are seen as young adult female literature.

And because they think so, they only advertise to the market they think will be interested, further building up under the views that things are boy-only/girl-only..

Good example is Tangled, which was changed from Rapunzel and the ads completely focused on Flynn, because that was the only way Disney thought they’d get boys to go watch the film. The Princess and the Frog was more marketed towards the princess angle (and that film’s bad sales lead to Disney’s change on Tangled) and a lot of parents didn’t bring their boys to the film, being sure the boys wouldn’t be interested.
(Sorry for using animation films as an example, it’s the thing I know the most about Tongue)

And sorry for going off on this completely unrelated tangent to the thread.

I play story-heavy games, watch animation, anime, B-movies, disaster movies, sci-fi movies and crime shows and try to write about it all on my blog: Snark, pedantry and random geekery

Total Posts: 17

Joined 2007-06-07

PM

Before Sierra started development of KQ4 they did a marketing analysis to see what customers thought of a female protagonist. They were surprised to find that the overwhelming majority, regardless of gender, said that it made little difference to them as long as the game was good. Of course that was a different time, but if anything, the percentage of female players has increased.

Total Posts: 245

Joined 2006-05-20

PM

It is kind of an odd response, because adventure games are the one genre that have always had a lot of female protagonists. I never heard any backlash against TLJ or Syberia or any of the other games for having a female lead, so I’m surprised to see the backlash here.

Total Posts: 359

Joined 2012-02-16

PM

Whew, this ‘Chris’ guy is a total jerkwad. The rest of the comments, though, are affirming my belief that adventure players as a community are better than that.

“Either way, I don’t want to hear a woman’s voice all game. It’s cool for some but I don’t like immersing myself in a world where I pretend I’m a woman. I don’t care if some woman have done that. I don’t wear high heels just because woman do. That’s your issue.”

I wonder if this guy played SQ thinking he was Roger Wilco. What a weirdo…

Total Posts: 10

Joined 2003-09-15

PM

I dont think the two guys are going to make it but.. fingers crossed!

Total Posts: 70

Joined 2004-02-18

PM

I totally understand this Chris-character. Personally I refuse to play any game that doesn’t feature gorilla-like monsters as the main characters. I can’t stand playing as puny humans.

Total Posts: 16

Joined 2005-08-06

PM

TerminusEst - 22 May 2012 11:45 PM

I wonder if this guy played SQ thinking he was Roger Wilco. What a weirdo…

And if so, what he was thinking in SQ4 in the Galaxy Galleria. Wink Not like Roger was a huge alpha male either.

Total Posts: 114

Joined 2007-08-24

PM

You know You’re in trouble, when Kicktraqs notoriously inflated “trending toward” is below 100%.
Obviously the end spike should put it over the top, but this trend better stop soon… hopefully the second prototype will give the much needed boost.

Joined 2006-05-20

PM

Hopefully a good second demo will get things rolling. And I hope its a proper demo this time. The first one completely killed the momentum.

Total Posts: 40

Joined 2006-11-08

PM

Siddhi - 24 May 2012 05:38 AM

Hopefully a good second demo will get things rolling. And I hope its a proper demo this time. The first one completely killed the momentum.

To be fair, they are’t really even ‘demos’ they are actually prototypes, and their purpose is just to demonstrate progress on different aspects of the game, as it moves along in development Smile The game won’t actually go into full on development until the kickstarter is over which is kind of the point of kickstarter.

“That was, without a doubt, one of the finest examples of bunny snatching I’ve ever seen!”  - Narrator, Space Quest 4: Roger Wilco and the Time Rippers

Twitter: @TravisAC85

Joined 2006-05-20

PM

Chrono-Serge - 24 May 2012 10:40 AM

To be fair, they are’t really even ‘demos’ they are actually prototypes, and their purpose is just to demonstrate progress on different aspects of the game, as it moves along in development Smile The game won’t actually go into full on development until the kickstarter is over which is kind of the point of kickstarter.

I know, but the prototype that Q42 initially did was a complete screen (you can read about it here - http://martinkool.com/post/22706224644/how-i-brought-html5-to-the-space-quest-creators-kickstar ). It was done in 2 days - including art, animation, screens, interactions—and it looks really nice. I’m not sure why the two guys didnt release something like that for prototype 1.

The first prototype had nothing for the user to do, and you could complete it in 20 seconds. It didn’t really showcase anything, and only helped to bring a complete halt to the momentum which was doing quite well at that point.

The point of the prototype is to get people excited to back the project. For that it needs to have some elements which make the player go ‘wow, this is cool’. Even if it has only one puzzle and 5 minutes of play time, with some nice art, its enough.

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

Chrono-Serge - 24 May 2012 10:40 AM

well that was a part of their problem actually. They repeatedly called it a demo themselves. I thiiink theyv backed off that word now because they realize what it means to people (i hope).
Unfortunately, it just doesnt change the fact that showing people anything less than presentable during fundraising is an awful idea.

EDIT: this is just getting kindv ridiculous. Seriously, 2 guys, i call upon you to officially discard the 100k schedule and just release a prototype whenever its feasible.
It wouldv been a nice idea if you already had the prototypes planned and made… but you didnt… and going quiet when the prototype is late doesnt look good.
Just imagine, if they were able to actually make their goal they would owe us 3 more “demos” in the next 2.5 weeks. The whole idea of this model was to show us how quickly they could do things… which is ridiculous…. uuuugh… must stop ranting…

EDIT2: looks like the next prototype is coming tonight.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top