• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

diegoluckyloser

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Alien: Isolation

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

TimovieMan - 06 April 2014 01:15 PM
Lucien21 - 06 April 2014 12:09 PM

Now imagine an Oculus Rift version. *SHudder*

Yikes, I’m whimpering in a corner just thinking about that. Gasp

Horror movies don’t phase me. Watching someone else play these games either. Yet the second I’m in control at the keyboard I’m a total wimp. The Oculus Rift would kill me with a game like this. Tongue

Reaction would be something like this Smile

I’m sure if VR takes off next year, we will probably see alien games soon after.

Total Posts: 1235

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

I’m confused.  Is this an adventure game?

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Probably. Looks to be in the vein of Amnesia: The Dark Descent, imo.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

Lambonius - 06 April 2014 04:51 PM

Nope. It a horror stealth game, no puzzles as far as I know.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Lucien21 - 06 April 2014 05:27 PM
Lambonius - 06 April 2014 04:51 PM

Nope. It a horror stealth game, no puzzles as far as I know.

AFAIK there are environmental puzzles as well as some shooting.
Though thats not core gameplay and minimal.

Interview excerpts

So there will be combat, right? And puzzles?

AH: We’re not making a shooter, but there is conflict.

JM: In terms of puzzles, there are things to solve like hacking games and a few other things that we’ll be talking about later.

Okay, so the rumour before the game was officially announced was that you’d be shooting your way through clones and soldiers. Is that true?

AH: No. There are no soldiers in this game. Androids are one of the core components of the IP and in Alien there is Ash and there’s some duplicity there. In the demo you may have noticed one that’s been ripped in half. But the station is run by a corporation called Seegsen and they have their own type of android who are just following instructions and are nowhere as near advanced as Ash.

I’m not using this word in a pejorative sense, but is the game linear?

AH: In the wider game, we’re not really talking about it today, but there’s more opportunity to find alternative ways to manoeuvre and navigate around the world.

JM: Other paths to choose to solve problems.

It’s really difficult to talk about this without talking about the wider gameplay. But there are a lot of opportunities for the player, the whole game is about the player constantly looking at the information at hand, the resources they’ve got and the immediate threat of their situational position, these constant A/B choices about do I craft something or do I save it?

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

What was even the point of that interview, if the developer is unwilling to talk about gameplay?  What ELSE could there possibly be that would be more important to talk about?

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

TimovieMan - 06 April 2014 05:13 PM

Looks to be in the vein of Amnesia: The Dark Descent, imo.

So…no?  Wink

Total Posts: 880

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

Did I miss read something, where is the ‘Some Shooting’? Anyways, I think the concept is a lot better than Amnesia. Just having one vicious intelligent enemy scuttling around trying to outsmart you is a lot scarier. I’m quite excited for it!

Stuart Bradley Newsom - Naughty Shinobi || Our Game: Shadow Over Isolation

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

There are melee attacks, Flamethrowers and other weapons to kill Androids and to
push back Alien, Alien cant be killed with weapons but Androids can.
(If Mods want to move the thread to general)

Check 40 E3 awards trailer

http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/k1gmex/alien—isolation-accolades-trailer

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Reviews for Alien Isolation are being published.
I was kind of skeptical about the game after some previews I’ve seen, but some positive reviewers are calling the best Alien game with some of best horror moments in gaming ever. Also long and hard hame… Hyped for this again.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Well RPS review by Adam Smith calls it the best Alien game he’s played. Granted, that’s not necessarily the most difficult thing to do considering how many bad Alien games there is, but all in all, this does look promising.

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

wilco - 03 October 2014 10:28 AM

Reviews for Alien Isolation are being published.
I was kind of skeptical about the game after some previews I’ve seen, but some positive reviewers are calling the best Alien game with some of best horror moments in gaming ever. Also long and hard hame… Hyped for this again.

I am playing this since 2 days.

PS4 version,

Boring uptill now, i finished Outlast last week under the impression that after
Alien and EWithin, Outlast will be boring lol.

But Alien seems to be missing alot of visceral intensity of Outlast.
There are loading sections after few minutes that divides the ship like MGS2 tanker.
Problem is loading sections vary from 15 to 40 secs.

Then AI of Hostile Humans is just plain bad. You can melee them while they give you chance and not shooting at you.

Then there are Androids who are too many in early sections, actually you get starved for Alien , which himself is not hard to dodge.
Lots of pacing issues and game design is simple for long padding.

I would highly suggest rental like i did Wink.
Paying 60$ would be too much.

My 2 cents.

Edit:

Ooops, looks like Destiny have competition.

Gamespot 6/10

This is four hours’ worth of a great idea stretched into 14-plus hours of messy stealth gameplay, creaky video game cliches, and limp exploration.

IGN 5.9

May seem strange to complain that a game’s too long, but when the genuine scares of being hunted by an unstoppable predator are so diluted by repetition and padding, Isolation’s epic length really does work against it. Someday, someone is going to make an incredible Alien video game that checks every box. But, sadly, Isolation is not it.

I am 4 to 5 hrs in and i have to resist this padding for another 10 hrs.

Eeeeesssh.  Pan

Total Posts: 1279

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

Please. For the love of the gaming gods, don’t take what IGN say to heart.

Recently completed: Game of Thrones (decent), Tales from the borderlands (great!), Life is Strange (great!), Stasis (good), Annas Quest (great!); Broken Age (poor)

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

nomadsoul - 03 October 2014 11:22 AM

Edit:

Ooops, looks like Destiny have competition.

Eeeeesssh.  Pan

No really, Destiny was universally panned, this at least still has plenty of positive reviews like Escapist, Eurogamer, PC Gamer. That IGN review doesn’t look very good when one of the complains is that the Alien AI makes it hard…
Still, I’ll play Evil Within first

Total Posts: 92

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Destiny was successful in what it was trying to do, it just had such dull, uninspired ideas that achieving what it set out to do was not really an accomplishment. The game was attempting nothing we hadn’t seen before and still did it in the most perfunctory way possible.

Alien: Isolation, even if it doesn’t quite succeed, is incredibly ambitious. I’m far more willing to play a flawed game with grand ideas than a successfully generic blockbuster.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top