• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

diegoIronCretinLady Kestrelrtrooney

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Planescape Kickstarter?

Poll: Would You Want This To Happen?
Total Votes: 29
Yes
No
Maybe
What’s Planescape?

Total Posts: 32

Joined 2005-07-01

PM

“Many designers have flocked to Kickstarter in an attempt to revive old gaming franchises. Obsidian’s Chris Avellone, lead designer of Planescape: Torment, is interested in creating a “spiritual successor” to the the series.”

SOURCE

I’m pretty excited for this (if it happens), how about everyone else?

“When government surveillance and intimidation is called “freedom from terrorism” or “liberation from crime”, freedom and liberty have become words without meanings.”
~ Chad Dumier, “Deus Ex”

The Adventure Game Enthusiast

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

If it’s as well-written as Torment, then I’m definitely in!
One of the best RPG’s of all time! Heck, simply one of the best games ever!

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

I’ve been hearing this ever since double fine broke 1 million in 24 hours. Im cautiously optimistic…

Total Posts: 109

Joined 2009-03-01

PM

I’m in. As long as it’s not like the original. Tongue

Joined 2005-07-01

PM

I’m also extremely excited for Wasteland 2 they made $2,933,252!

“When government surveillance and intimidation is called “freedom from terrorism” or “liberation from crime”, freedom and liberty have become words without meanings.”
~ Chad Dumier, “Deus Ex”

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

i noticed he said he felt like d&d rules held them back in planescape. I’ll agree with this much: the combat was the one thing they really didnt nail down in planescape:torment. Whatever system they do use i just hope it reflects lots of interesting complexity. Because i think torment wouldv been perfect if it had a pollished combat system like baldurs gate 2.

Total Posts: 974

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

Love Planescape: Torment. Would definitely be interested in a new game sorta-kinda like it.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

zane - 25 July 2012 09:54 PM

i noticed he said he felt like d&d rules held them back in planescape. I’ll agree with this much: the combat was the one thing they really didnt nail down in planescape:torment. Whatever system they do use i just hope it reflects lots of interesting complexity. Because i think torment wouldv been perfect if it had a pollished combat system like baldurs gate 2.

^ This.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2005-07-01

PM

Baldur’s Gate Enhanced Edition

I’ll totally be getting this!  I thought it was only coming out for the iPad but I was mistaken!  So excited!

~ Chad Dumier, “Deus Ex”

Total Posts: 3

Joined 2012-05-24

PM

I’m so glad that he wants to make a spiritual successor and not a sequel, the original story was so good and ended so well that a sequel will be terrible. I’ll donate for a new RPG made by Avellone and Obisidian.

Total Posts: 7

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

zane - 25 July 2012 09:54 PM

i noticed he said he felt like d&d rules held them back in planescape. [...] I think torment wouldv been perfect if it had a pollished combat system like baldurs gate 2.

Why would you want a new game with the Planescape setting to adhere to the D&D 2nd edition combat system when he’s just expressed how much of a hindrance it was?

Planescape Torment’s combat is based on the D&D 2nd edition rules, the same rule system as Baldur’s Gate 2.  Which he hated.  Its not a good fit for the Planescape setting.

He had to fight it to tell his story, practically ignore it to allow the Nameless one to switch classes at will, and hamstring some of the characters (like Falls From Grace), because under the D&D 2nd Edition rules she would have been too powerful.

I think the recent excitement over this Kickstarter comment is kind of silly, given he’s currently very busy with Wasteland 2.  I also didn’t get the impression he’s interested in making another game set in the Planescape universe; more like a game as good as Planescape, that deals with similar themes. 

A Kickstarter funded game with a Wizards of the Coast license attached is all kinds of unlikely.

Total Posts: 880

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

As long as its set in Torment.

Stuart Bradley Newsom - Naughty Shinobi || Our Game: Shadow Over Isolation

Total Posts: 3

Joined 2012-05-24

PM

He’ll not make another game in Planescape universe, read the interview again:

Chris Avellone, lead designer of Planescape: Torment, is interested in creating a “spiritual successor” to the the series.”

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

Crunchy in milk - 27 July 2012 09:52 AM

Why would you want a new game with the Planescape setting to adhere to the D&D 2nd edition combat system when he’s just expressed how much of a hindrance it was?

My point was, im skeptical that the games problems are the fault of 2nd edition, when BG2 used the rule system so perfectly. Theres no need to conform to it by the letter, and torment didnt, thats fine. Sure it presented challenges to them to make their vision fit the setting, but you go through that with any adaptation. I dont really care that theyr going to make their own rules, as long as they do a better job with combat this time while keeping a sense of d&d depth. The new game is not going to be set in planescape, and you arent going to have a planescape game detached from d&d rules. Best we can hope for is somthing that captures the best parts of the setting.

Total Posts: 29

Joined 2007-06-22

PM

A completely new IP is out of the question, huh? Well, if it’s anything like the original, then I prefer reading an actual book.

“This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but, if sweetness can win, and it can, then I’ll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday my friend. Peace.” -Old Tart Toter

Total Posts: 7

Joined 2006-06-20

PM

I do not want a game set in the Planescape universe or any spiritual or otherwise successor to this game. It was a great game at the time - and still is. But time has passed and it is, as I see, time to move on.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top