• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Keybordzzobraks

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Irrational bites the dust

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

http://www.irrationalgames.com/

In world of QTEs, Mobile games, AAA corny shooters etc even higher sales
aint good for nothing.

Welcome to Future Frown

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Nextgen starts now

No narrative focused AAA singleplayer games

New goal: To make narrative-driven games for the core gamer that are highly replayable.

To foster the most direct relationship with our fans possible, we will focus exclusively on content delivered digitally.

Dafuq

15 people digital, gimme break, they cant come close to making worlds (that punctaute underlying narrative) like Rapture or Columbia, with that amount,
considering previous team took more than 5 years.

AAA gaming in nextgen, Kojima releasing half games(lack of staff), f2p, micortransactions…AAA singleplayer story games dead except open world, Platform exclusives and inhouse devs.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Working for 6 or more years on a single game, they were kind of a dying species of developers. I wonder what 2K will do with the Bioshock franchise, or they will let it die with Irrational).

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

Unfortunate. I havnt played this game.. but some of my favorite games were masterpieces where the devs soon went under after releasing it despite positive sales (okami and vampire bloodlines).

Total Posts: 880

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

I’ll be honest, those developers aren’t a dying breed. The future is kickstarter and self-publishing. Back in the 80s self-publishing was the way to go but not the way to get money…now the future is here, we are back to it making bank. Irrational needs to become their own studio no subjugated by corporate BS.

Just look at Star Citizen. A game of dreams making more than any other crowd funded game has ever made. Its there, there is potential, but it’ll take a lot more work from developers.

Corporate funded games will always be there, but now, real developer will be forced to put more meaning in their games. Pretty much becoming “Indie” developers themselves.

Stuart Bradley Newsom - Naughty Shinobi || Our Game: Shadow Over Isolation

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

zane - 18 February 2014 07:38 PM

Unfortunate. I havnt played this game.. but some of my favorite games were masterpieces where the devs soon went under after releasing it despite positive sales (okami and vampire bloodlines).

1. I thought Vampire Bloodlines bugs, glitches and beta state was the culprit of
shit response. No wonder classic game.

2. And Clover studio( or studio 4 iirc) of Capcom made series of creative niche games
vjoe, killer7, godhand and okami to hit the deadend.

But in second case the seperation turned out in favor, with Platinum shitting on Capcom,
ever since its conception not to mention the fact that evilwithin and Bayo2 are my
most wanted this year. Smile

Total Posts: 92

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

If 2K were unhappy with the studio and Ken pulled this move to avoid having it shut down completely and losing everyone he worked with, I’d understand this decision. But if he really did choose to do this on his own because he wants to gain some indie cred with a small team then that is truly ridiculous.

A game like Bioshock Infinite could not be made under stifling circumstances. Irrational were free to do whatever they wanted. All of those complaints some had about Infinite—the excessive violence, the gunplay—that came from Irrational. They tried to do multiplayer, it didn’t work, 2K didn’t force them to put it in there. Most of Irrational’s output were first-person shooters so it’s not like they were this beacon of total artistic integrity. They enjoyed making games where you get to shoot things.

Ken Levine is writing the screenplay for a new Logan’s Run remake so maybe that’s why he suddenly thinks he can push storytelling forward in video games. Frankly, I’d rather he’d just gotten his team to make SWAT 5.

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

wilco - 18 February 2014 02:44 PM

Working for 6 or more years on a single game, they were kind of a dying species of developers. I wonder what 2K will do with the Bioshock franchise, or they will let it die with Irrational).

lastguardian and FF15 countless years.
Kojimas last game came in the year of gta4, and mgs5 proper is well 2015
earliest.
Same case with Bethesdas next or most of the leading major IPs.

Time will be even longer this gen, its just that Irrational is one of the
first victims.

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

I have some strong feelings about this. If Bioshock as a franchise was not viable and not making money, and if Ken Levine is just sugar coating a layoff than that’s one thing. If these awesome employees who created 2 of the best games of last gen are going to be moved to work on other games for 2K then I can also understand that. But if Ken Levine is laying off most of hist staff so he can let his creative juices flow, then I think he is a selfish asshole(excuse my French). The honorable thing in this case is to pack your stuff and either join another company or start a new one.

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

nomadsoul - 19 February 2014 01:02 PM

lastguardian and FF15 countless years.
Kojimas last game came in the year of gta4, and mgs5 proper is well 2015
earliest.
Same case with Bethesdas next or most of the leading major IPs.

Time will be even longer this gen, its just that Irrational is one of the
first victims.

They still exist, but not much and most of them at least have a 2-3 year output of games (Bethesda,Final Fantasies teams) not a big team working on a single game for 6 years.
Kojima still seems to have power in Konami to do it but lets see after Metal Gear 5 is out if it still stays the same in this gen.

Ueda is a special case, I think, the team is small and it’s a Sony exclusive (and he is already out of Sony).

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

nomadsoul - 18 February 2014 01:25 PM

Nextgen starts now

It’s interesting. I was watching some footage of the PS4 exclusive, The Order, two days ago and was struck by how creatively bankrupt the game was of mechanical innovations. Graphically, The Order is beautiful and yet every mechanical aspect felt safe and retreaded. These are accusations that were also leveled at Bioshock Infinite, although I felt unfairly.

Nonetheless, it’s hard to escape the feeling that ballooning development and marketing costs have reached pandemic levels and the only recourse for triple A developers is to play follow the leader with games that came out years ago like Modern Warfare 2 and the Uncharted series. Even the blue hedgehog is getting into the act with its Drake-like connotations: 

The fear for console gaming’s future may be exaggerated though with genuinely unique titles like Murdered: Soul Suspect and Cyberpunk on the horizon. Otherwise, triple A games definitely need a shake up and it’s surprising that a new console generation hasn’t really ignited that creativity or innovation yet.

Good luck to Ken and the remaining team members who survived redundancy though. Small scale seems to be the way to go with the 3DS outselling the other game platforms and kids leaving behind their consoles for the iPad.

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

nomadsoul - 19 February 2014 12:56 PM

1. I thought Vampire Bloodlines bugs, glitches and beta state was the culprit of
shit response. No wonder classic game.

From what i remember, troika said they were doomed to bankruptcy before it even launched. (as for the bugs, which there were not really that many, they’ve been fixed by fan patches). And i know clover made other good games, but okami was their best and followed by them being disbanded.
Though i will say i love infinite space by platinum games.
And the evil within just got on my radar too…

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

thejobloshow - 19 February 2014 07:59 PM

Nextgen starts now

It’s interesting. I was watching some footage of the PS4 exclusive, The Order, two days ago and was struck by how creatively bankrupt the game was of mechanical innovations. Graphically, The Order is beautiful and yet every mechanical aspect felt safe and retreaded. These are accusations that were also leveled at Bioshock Infinite, although I felt unfairly.

Nonetheless, it’s hard to escape the feeling that ballooning development and marketing costs have reached pandemic levels and the only recourse for triple A developers is to play follow the leader with games that came out years ago like Modern Warfare 2 and the Uncharted series. Even the blue hedgehog is getting into the act with its Drake-like connotations: 

The fear for console gaming’s future may be exaggerated though with genuinely unique titles like Murdered: Soul Suspect and Cyberpunk on the horizon. Otherwise, triple A games definitely need a shake up and it’s surprising that a new console generation hasn’t really ignited that creativity or innovation yet.

Good luck to Ken and the remaining team members who survived redundancy though. Small scale seems to be the way to go with the 3DS outselling the other game platforms and kids leaving behind their consoles for the iPad.

Yup i was waiting for Order footage like anything only to find out its another
lame 3rd person gameplay what we have seen countless times in last gen. Frown
I hope story, characters and world will redeem the experience.

That sonic game is made my JaknDaxter lead and Sanzaru iirc, so the influence.

You are right about Cyberpunk and others, but one flop or *Not as Expected sales*
can bring even strongest Studios down. Its up to publishers to give them second run, luckly we are getting TR next and Sleepingdogs sequel otherwise these two were
suffering from same ROI problems, so following leaders strategy also aint safe.

I dont mind Ken to make heavy narrative indie games like StanleyParable, he can do
wonders, but the scale and design of worlds like Rapture needs assets, plenty of them.

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

[

Still don’t get why the hell he needs a scarf?
Not to mention poor Knuckles…

I think teams need to learn Platinum recipe for game-making. Awesome games released every year and they keep doing it, even if they bomb.

Total Posts: 880

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

nomadsoul - 19 February 2014 11:22 PM

Nextgen starts now

Yup i was waiting for Order footage like anything only to find out its another
lame 3rd person gameplay what we have seen countless times in last gen. Frown
I hope story, characters and world will redeem the experience.

That sonic game is made my JaknDaxter lead and Sanzaru iirc, so the influence.

You are right about Cyberpunk and others, but one flop or *Not as Expected sales*
can bring even strongest Studios down. Its up to publishers to give them second run, luckly we are getting TR next and Sleepingdogs sequel otherwise these two were
suffering from same ROI problems, so following leaders strategy also aint safe.

I dont mind Ken to make heavy narrative indie games like StanleyParable, he can do
wonders, but the scale and design of worlds like Rapture needs assets, plenty of them.

How is Order being a Third Person game more of a problem than a thousand generic RPG Maker games praised to hell and the worst of Casual HOG games? In my opinion Order doesn’t look all that generic. Unless you hate 3rd Person games and feel thats justified enough to bash a game. Just as annoying as people complaining about another First Person game or adventure or RPG or Sim or casual or ...hell people need to start thinking straight.

Stuart Bradley Newsom - Naughty Shinobi || Our Game: Shadow Over Isolation

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Monolith - 21 February 2014 11:39 PM

How is Order being a Third Person game more of a problem than a thousand generic RPG Maker games praised to hell and the worst of Casual HOG games? In my opinion Order doesn’t look all that generic. Unless you hate 3rd Person games and feel thats justified enough to bash a game. Just as annoying as people complaining about another First Person game or adventure or RPG or Sim or casual or ...hell people need to start thinking straight.

Duck, cover shoot and shoot and shoot is more annoying believe me.
Nextgen is obviously be more glossy and have more spectacle but I expect
some new grounds to be explored mechanically.

Tired of shooters, yes alot. Sick of repeating same stuff, atleast change themes,
which Order is set to do. When i saw the first of few artworks i was like
“Man maybe this will have Steampunk world and Adventure/exploration besides Shooting”

I hope there is.

As far RPGs go, they are quite modular, and i dont see much similarities
between Witcher, skyrim and Souls series mechanically. And these AAA Rpgs
are not as saturated as shooters.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top