• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissie

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Two Guys from Andromeda (Space Quest creators) on Kickstarter

Total Posts: 16

Joined 2005-08-06

PM

Not yet - it’s been delayed a few days. Mark’s been sick.

Total Posts: 70

Joined 2004-02-18

PM

thejobloshow - 20 May 2012 09:44 PM

The interface will be a hybrid of point and click AND text parser!

Hah, call me crazy (and you’d no doubt be right), but that piece of info made pledging 100% more tempting.

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

This needs a kick in the ass, publicity wise as it seemd to be stalling.

I hope they make the target as the art looks fine.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Joined 2005-08-06

PM

They plan to start really marketing it this week - they had a setback as Mark Crowe has been sick. But yeah, should start making some progress with news.

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

Here are some more details about the project:

- A new (and unlikely) Space Hero will emerge from a lowly station but with a unique skill set. Possibly a female protagonist.
- It will not feature a certain space janitor or other SQ characters
- The Two Guys (Scott and Mark) will be present as in-game characters
- A new “Space Foul” character will definitely be making a prominent debut
- You will navigate your own spacecraft through the SpaceVenture galaxy.
- You will engage in hilarious space dogfight sequences.
- No recent sci-fi/fantasy related movie, series or video game is safe from our parody scope. We’re looking at you Avatar, Firefly, and Halo.
- The game will play, look, sound and feel every bit like it was cut from the same cloth as our previous creations, ONLY MUCH BETTER in very way! We’ve learned a thing or two and tech has improved a little since the 90s.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/spaceventure/two-guys-spaceventure-by-the-creators-of-space-que/posts/231241

Total Posts: 40

Joined 2006-11-08

PM

I really like the idea of a female protagonist in SpaceVenture. I think that this would further separate the game from Space Quest, and help it work as its own thing Smile.

“That was, without a doubt, one of the finest examples of bunny snatching I’ve ever seen!”  - Narrator, Space Quest 4: Roger Wilco and the Time Rippers

Twitter: @TravisAC85

Total Posts: 245

Joined 2006-05-20

PM

Yup, female protagonist is a good idea. I’m itching to check out the second demo. I agree with zane, they should have released it earlier instead of waiting for the 200K mark.

Total Posts: 133

Joined 2006-02-14

PM

The idea of a female protagonist is really interesting. I haven’t pledged yet, but I would if they actually had the balls to do a humour game with a female working class space farer.

And then there’s comments like this:

Chris:
@Rachel, I don’t really care for your feminist bull. The gaming hobby is overwhelmingly male.

There is no reason we should have to “suck it up” for an overwhelmingly small minority of females. You are like that one asshole who moves into a community that has done things a certain way for years and now wants it his way and gets all loud about it.

I don’t care if there is an option for both but I don’t enjoy playing an emotional wuss. Even if I did, I’m not a woman. I don’t want my character to sound like one. It totally breaks any immersion in the game for me personally.

Besides you being an overly emotional selfish and ignorant fool making a moron comment, I asked for them to make an option for both male and female. You didn’t even have the courtesy to think of that.

Talk about a selfish dumb ass.

Which just makes me feel so incredibly sad.

It is sad that the gaming industry still is so early in its development that even bringing up the possibility of a female lead makes people lower or even drop their pledges, or write threats.

A part of me expects them to come out and drop the idea based on the strong, negative feedback, an other part of me hopes they do the exact opposite and go with a female protagonist because of the controversy it has created.

I was under the foolish impression that long time adventure game fans and people who grew up with the early AGs and have now grown up would be more mature and open to changes than the FPS crowd. Which makes the comment section on Two guys even more disappointing to read.

I’m sorry to go off on this tangent here, it just affected me to see them finally releasing interesting information that got me interested in the game, just to see even a possibility of change so shot down in the comments..

Frown

I play story-heavy games, watch animation, anime, B-movies, disaster movies, sci-fi movies and crime shows and try to write about it all on my blog: Snark, pedantry and random geekery

Joined 2005-08-06

PM

Just want you to know, based on various comments I’ve seen, Scott especially is very strong in his support of a female protagonist, so I wouldn’t expect them to throw it out because a few people don’t like it.

Total Posts: 86

Joined 2003-09-21

PM

I find that line of thinking all kinds of odd, the notion that it’s somehow a threat to a deep seated sense of masculinity or something playing as a female protagonist. Seeing a game’s world through a different perspective is one of the beauties of an adventure game, gaming in general— understanding different perspectives, wrapping your head around different motivations. (I just played Max Payne 3, for example. That guy is clearly messed up, but I could still empathize with him and his predicament.) Roger Wilco was a likable, bumbling oaf. Not exactly the paragon of masculinity and that didn’t make him any less of an awesome character. People just need to check their pre-concieved prejudices at the door. Tongue

To me the beauty of something like Kickstarter is a developer lines up clear objectives of what they want to do and people fund it if it appeals to them. It shouldn’t force them into committee thinking because almost nothing good comes from that, then it’s basically just a focus group trying to appeal to the broadest audience with little creative risk. Leave the game’s vision to them, if you like it then contribute some. Man, what a rant. Grin (Not directed at any one in particular here or on Kickstarter either.)

I’ve got to say, the art direction is definately a blast from a Sierra-shaped past!

Right or wrong, weak or strong.

Total Posts: 298

Joined 2004-08-15

PM

I neither find the prospect of a female protagonist bothersome or especially intriguing.
It just is, well, something, I guess. Doesn’t make for a better game, doesn’t make for a worse one. We don’t have exactly a shortage of female protagonists in adventure games, so it’s not exactly something unusual.
It’s such a non-issue I have to wonder what people’s problems with it could possibly be.

But let’s be honest: Most male writers are terrible at depicting female protagonists. Just look at the trailer of Republique or how Samus Aran, the former silent cold-hearted killer machine, was portrayed as a cry-baby in Metroid: Other M that needed a strong man by her side. I’m not sure that we can honestly expect more strong female characters in our games without more female writers in the games industry that follow their intuition, independent from male cultural domination. Yes, there are the occasional sensitive male writers, like Ragnar Tornquist or Benoit Sokal, but they’re not enough.

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

Where the heck did you even find that comment, Panthera? I didn’t know adventure gamers were so alpha male, lol.

Anyway, I imagine if they go ahead with the female protagonist she’d probably be a goof on Ripley from Alien since that’s the most famous sci-fi female lead. Or even better, Samus Aran!

Total Posts: 298

Joined 2004-08-15

PM

thejobloshow - 22 May 2012 04:02 AM

Or even better, Samus Aran!

Ugh! I’m not even a fan of the games and I’m still offended. Maybe I should let it rest… Wink
Before this Samus Aran was pretty much a blank slate, just like Link. Then they filled the blanks with the most pathetic excuse for a character I’ve ever seen. Yeah, I’m exaggerating, but…no one wants female characters like this, I’m sure, but I think Scott Murphy and Mark Crowe are surely more sensitive storytellers than this!

Total Posts: 506

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Wow, that comment is ridiculous. What year is it? Crazy

Anyway - I haven’t been following the updates at all (although I did back the project)—I’ve played some Space Quest and liked it fine but the idea of a new one (or something like it) isn’t especially exciting to me—but for whatever reason the idea of a female protagonist has me intrigued. In general I don’t particularly care if I play a male character or a female one, but having a female lead in a Mark Crowe/Scott Murphy game has a “hey, this is different” quality that makes me want to pay a bit more attention to what they’re planning.

Total Posts: 133

Joined 2006-02-14

PM

thejobloshow - 22 May 2012 04:02 AM

Where the heck did you even find that comment, Panthera? I didn’t know adventure gamers were so alpha male, lol.

There are, unfortunately, many more where it came from, in the comments section on the latest update.

I play story-heavy games, watch animation, anime, B-movies, disaster movies, sci-fi movies and crime shows and try to write about it all on my blog: Snark, pedantry and random geekery

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top