• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

luckyloserTheTMDwalas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG OST

Total Posts: 932

Joined 2004-03-23

PM

Caliburn - 24 October 2013 12:42 PM

“As Cool As You,” the jukebox song from BASS that you linked, is arranged as a jazz piano trio (consisting of piano, bass, and drums). This is a standard lounge jazz format, so I’m fairly confident these are the instruments the song was meant to have. I checked my copy of the game tonight and the MT-32 version uses the following instruments for that song:

AcouPiano3 (acoustic piano)
Acou Bass2 (acoustic bass)
Drums
Melodic Tom (a.k.a. tom-tom, which is just a special drum that plays on its own MIDI channel, so don’t worry, the song is still a trio, not a quartet! Wink )

I’m not sure how to double-check what instruments the Adlib version uses, but I’m guessing that what sounded like an electric guitar to you is actually meant to be a piano or jazz organ with sustain pedal, like Advie mentions below. If so, the fact that it doesn’t quite sound like one is probably just because the FM synthesis of the Adlib isn’t that great at making realistic instruments. But I agree that the Adlib version does have a neat sound of its own and I’m glad it was also included in this thread along with the MT-32.

Yes, indeed! I mean, I’m sure that it meant to sound like a piano (or, I was sure ever since I re-listened to it that time, even though when originally playing the game I always did think it was a guitar). Now it sounds more like a piano in the Adlib version too, than it did when I was originally playing the game. But I think it’d be fantastic with the guitar sound (which, incidentally, I’m not quite sure how to recreate…)

Still, to me it will keep on being the BASS sound, even if it’s not even really in the game Grin

Actually, that isn’t a Roland MT-32, assuming that’s what you meant by “Roland” in the context of our conversation. It sounds to me like a General MIDI-compatible wavetable synth, perhaps a Roland Sound Canvas or something similar. This kind of synth is a little newer than the MT-32 and thus was not supported when BASS was originally released. My CD-ROM copy of the game supports only Adlib/SoundBlaster, Adlib Gold, and Roland MT-32/LAPC-I/CM-32L.

Ah, I see. A lot of this midi-conversion goes quite a bit over my head so it certainly wasn’t shocking that I was wrong about that… Now I’ve also forgotten why I thought it was a Roland version, but probably just a little thought glitch Tongue

Anyways, thanks for the explanations! Takes a bit of research to really get the whole system…

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Quest for glory V Dragon Fire should burn in hell , for the disappoints it had on the series fans, out of giving less Adventure elements for more Action/RPG. nevertheless the game held one amazing OST but that is something totally different .

I came across this page which holds all the 35 unreleased tracks of the game which
were actually also captivating , the problem most of the tracks do not sound as a final product; empty spaces here and there within each track as there was (of course) still editing work, and mixing had to be done!, or even those were nothing but demo recordings (but I doubt that) . anyways I have chosen 4 tracks of the unreleased ones, and mixed them into a 4:16 mins medley that I really liked and enjoyed workin on .. hope you like it as much as I did.

This is how this Quest for Glory V medley goes:-
Track-12 “Silmaria By Day/ Track-10 1:21Silmaria By Night/ Track-31 1:50Erana”  / Track-27 2:46The Rite Of Destiny Full

OST by Chance Thomas who has a music degree from Brigham Young University.

I dont think you can download them for there so here is another site which holds the original and the unreleased Tracks (and some other AGS OSTs too) for download.
http://downloads.khinsider.com/game-soundtracks/browse/Q

ENJOY!

P.S: The 1st link of the “unreleased tracks” holds many of the original within, but not all the unreleased tracks available there, only at the link at the bottom .

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Pedro Macedo Camacho after his success with the orchestral soundtrack for Bill Tiller’s (2006) A Vampyre Story, Pedro’s career began in the best possible way. He won the IGF Excellence in Audio Award for his electronica soundtrack on Audiosurf, and in 2010 another audio award for his whimsical orchestral score on the XBOX360 and PS3 game, and Fairytale Fights.
He worked with Bill Tiller again on (2009) Ghost Pirates of Vooju Island .

Pedro Macedo Camacho had finished recording IrresponsibleGames/Daedalic 1954: Alcatraz Soundtrack last September which is to be released before the end of this year.

Here are two live orchestral sessions from the latter:
1954: Alcatraz - L’Amour en Méditarranée
1954: Alcatraz - Dangerous Moves

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Since I have no idea what OST should I post for Halloween so i will be just waiting for Bastich’s Scene of the day!

P.S: Thanks Caliburn for taking on today .
P.P.S: I will be moving to a new place so I will be busy also for sometime ,so Caliburn will take on the thread for a while.

Total Posts: 523

Joined 2010-02-08

PM

Halloween 2-for-1 Special!

Here’s a fun number from a classic adventure. Smokin’!

The 7th Guest
Skeletons in My Closet

by David Sanger

Vocals: Kris McKay
Background Vocals: Team Fat
Piano: Floyd Domino
Steel: Andrew Halbreicht
Bass: Kevin Phelan
Drums: David Sanger

And in keeping with Bastich’s Scene of the Day:

The Dark Eye
Music compilation from The Dark Eye

by Thomas Dolby

Yep, that Thomas Dolby wrote the soundtrack for this Edgar Allan Poe-inspired horror adventure with creepy, eyeless dolls. Never had a chance to play it myself (perhaps it will come to GOG someday), but I’ve always thought it looks intriguing, and it clocks in at #85 on AG’s Top 100.

Feel free to post your own spooky or fun AG soundtrack favorites in celebration of Halloween!

Joined 2010-02-08

PM

Since Edgar Allan Poe got mentioned yesterday, today we give H.P. Lovecraft his due with this Lovecraft-inspired adventure game and its soundtrack.

Shadow of the Comet
Illsmouth theme

by Philippe Vachey

This is another game I haven’t played, but retrospectives from AdventureReviews, Hardcore Gaming 101, and of course AdventureGamers all make it sound like it’s well worth a look despite some significant flaws.

The music makes good use of Adlib/SoundBlaster synthesis to create an intriguing, unnerving atmosphere that seems ideal for exploring the hidden secrets of the town of Illsmouth.  You can listen to more music from the game here.

Philippe Vachey also wrote music for the first Alone in the Dark, the Little Big Adventure games (a.k.a. Relentless: Twinsen’s Adventure and Twinsen’s Odyssey), and Nikopol: Secrets of the Immortals, among others.

Tomorrow we’ll move out of creepy territory for awhile. Smile

Joined 2010-02-08

PM

Today we take a stroll through the lonely streets of Chandler Avenue—the world of Mr. Tex Murphy.

The Pandora Directive
Tex’s Lament

Written and performed by Richie Havens
Produced by Bernard Fox

Lyrics here

Quite possibly my favorite vocal song in an adventure game ever, Tex’s Lament not only captures the hangdog nature of Tex wonderfully, but also introduced my younger self to the legendary Richie Havens, best known for opening Woodstock in 1969. I’ve been a fan of his soulful, gravelly baritone voice and open-tuned guitar strumming ever since. Havens died this past April at the age of 72.

Suite from The Pandora Directive

by Matt Heider

Of course, Tex’s world could not be complete without a great score, and boy, does Matt Heider deliver. Taking us through jazz, suspense, and the epic adventure of the suite above, every flavor of the unique Tex Murphy blend is a triumph.

More music from the Tex Murphy games can be found at Mat Tyler’s website or The Unofficial Tex Murphy Website.

Joined 2010-02-08

PM

Heart of China
Introduction*

by Don Latarski and Christopher Stevens

* Ideally this video should auto-advance to the start of the music, but if it doesn’t, feel free to skip to time index 0:40.

Dynamix strove for grand, cinematic sweep with Heart of China, a 1930s adventure with exotic locales, romance, and thrills. For the score, Don Latarski and Chris Stevens got a lot of impact out of the Roland MT-32 sound module, making extensive use of its ability to be programmed with custom instrument patches. The end result is quite impressive, especially for a game from 1991…

Heart of China was optimized so thoroughly for the MT-32 that it’s almost an unfair fight, but if you want, you can check out this comparison of PC Speaker, Sound Blaster, and Roland MT-32. Spoilers: MT-32 wins.

More music from Heart of China can be found at Quest Studios.

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Peter McConnell the Master behind almost All of Lucasarts Adventures OSTs.
Grim Fandango no doubt is his master piece.

What is your Fav track of the OST , Mine Is Rubacava

Download all the tracks HERE ,by right clicking the song and save target as.

Joined 2010-02-08

PM

Advie is still in the middle of his move, so you guys are stuck with me subbing in for a little while longer. Wink

RAMA
Myrmicat Area*
Avian Area

by Charles Barth

The first-person adventure game RAMA is based on Arthur C. Clarke’s sci-fi novels Rendezvous with Rama and Rama II (the latter with co-author Gentry Lee). These days RAMA the game seems to be mainly known for its difficult, math-based puzzles as you try to figure out the logic of alien devices. Maybe that difficulty is what has kept the game somewhat obscure, and with it, this pleasing soundtrack by Charles Barth.

More music from RAMA can be downloaded here.

* I’m a bit skeptical whether this track is correctly named as it seems to me it actually plays during the tram ride. But the fan site I got it from calls it the Myrmicat Area, so we’ll go with that…

Total Posts: 932

Joined 2004-03-23

PM

Advie - 04 November 2013 10:31 AM

Peter McConnell the Master behind almost All of Lucasarts Adventures OSTs.
Grim Fandango no doubt is his master piece.

What is your Fav track of the OST , Mine Is Rubacava

Download all the tracks HERE ,by right clicking the song and save target as.

Oh, mine is definitely Manny & Meche. Although, now that I think about it, also Companeros (the end credits theme) and Ninth Heaven.

It’s really a fantastic soundtrack Smile

Thanks for the mixnmojo link, I had meant to get it somewhere and you saved me the trouble of finding it Smile (and remembering, overall)

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Great Choices UPtimist ,  Companeros is a very Unique track also for me, its just that I can not get Rubacava tune out of my head!

Joined 2010-02-08

PM

Shadowgate
Main Theme (1989 NES Version)

by Hiroyuki Masuno

The original MacVenture version of Shadowgate had no music, but when the game was ported to NES, it gained an iconic score by Hiroyuki Masuno. You can hear other tunes from the NES version by clicking through the YouTube playlist.

Main Theme (Upcoming Remake)
by Rich Douglas, based on themes by Hiroyuki Masuno

For the remake, Rich Douglas has done a wonderful job with the challenging task of taking Masuno’s chiptune themes and adapting them into a new idiom to fit the updated art style. Douglas has cited the film scores Conan The Barbarian and Breakdown by Basil Poledouris as well as The Edge and The 13th Warrior by Jerry Goldsmith as points of inspiration for adapting the NES score to a new sound and for the additional music he has written to flesh out the game. Read Rich Douglas’s further comments on the score here, and get a glimpse into his process for sound design and music in this video.

The full album is available on Bandcamp. More info about the Shadowgate remake itself can be found on the official website. If you think the game looks interesting, consider voting for it on its Steam Greenlight page. The developers are a small team and I’m sure they would appreciate your show of support.

Joined 2010-02-08

PM

I recently used a couple brief clips from Papo & Yo in the forum’s soundtrack guessing game. As sometimes happens, it turned out nobody participating in the thread had yet played the game. (It’s been on PS3 for a year or so but only came to PC via Steam this past April. It probably was a bit premature for me to select such a recent game.)

This actually made for a good guessing game based purely on music style and hints, with Wilco eventually making the intended connections, but it also made me a little sad to realize Papo & Yo maybe could still use more exposure, since I always hope more people will give this gem of a game a try. It’s not for everybody, but if it charms and touches you like it did me, it will live in your memory forever.

So I’m going to share some more of its superb soundtrack here, with a different track that I didn’t use in the guessing game.

Papo & Yo
The Lost Song

by Brian D’Oliveira

Want to hear more? You can:

1) Listen to the first track, A Strange New World, and download it as a free sample.
2) Watch behind-the-scenes videos about how the music was made.
3) Hear the whole soundtrack online via Brian D’Oliveira’s SoundCloud page—though I recommend playing the game first.
4) Buy the soundtrack via Steam, PSN, iTunes, Amazon, and maybe some other places.

Joined 2010-02-08

PM

Advie should be back tomorrow, so I would be remiss if I didn’t close my contribution with one of my longtime personal favorites. Shouldn’t be a big surprise that there’s a special place in my heart for:

Conquests of the Longbow
Closing Credits

by Mark Seibert and Aubrey Hodges
additional music and sounds by Ken Allen, Chris Braymen, and Orpheus Hanley

Why pick one song when you can cheat and pick a closing credits medley? Wink

Click through the YouTube playlist for more. Downloads available at Quest Studios.

Thanks, all, it’s been fun. Smile

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top