• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

SpeedBo

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Smothered by Nostalgia

Total Posts: 1075

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

http://www.gamespot.com/features/smothered-by-nostalgia-6412789/

Made me think that dropping video gaming,which becoming increasingly nostalgic.

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

Oops the forum is cutting the right hand side of that off, making it odd to read.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 506

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

I replaced the image with a link to the original article.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Article is full of crap and not properly researched. Genres from Survival horror to
Beatemups are dead, people wanting those games are looking for KS for nostalgia days,
franchises are dead. And current demographics are totally different from what he thinks.
There are fewer 25 to 35 age people even able to play games (thanks to busy life), let alone for nostalgia.

The creative freedom isn’t there thanks to current age of gamers, who love to shoot things and are unfamiliar with old games. All companies who tried to make old games (mechanically), got out of the industry or suffered losses. The reason to make old
franchises with current gameplay scenario of automated gameplay is for the very same reason.

I have met more gamers, who played new Deusex, TR, Metroid clones etc. without even trying older parts, on ps1,2, pc or 16bit. Heck all of my younger relatives, friends got Skyrim and didnt know if it was ElderScrolls related and series.

How many of Fallout3 lovers actually played fallout1 and 2, played FO3 and enjoyed it for nostalgia?? It has to be researched, and companies are researching those tastes and people , hence the checklist mentality.

Current base is huge and its not us, even if he(or old fans) will quit new base will help drive the sales. The only reason to tag the name is to drag (fool) old lovers, only in name not mechanically and the creativity ends there, because its customer base driven product now.

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

I think the author is being melodramatic and there is nothing wrong with nostalgia.
Bringing back our childhood memories into the modern age in a slightly different format can have the effect of introducing younger gamers to some old gems they were too young to play.
If in the process they screwed up the remastering, then just skip on that particular remake. But there are so many examples of super awesome games that are remastered like the Monkey Island games for example. That didn’t stop Telltale from making a new Monkey Island.

Also just because a developer is helping in the remake, does not mean there is no place for new games anymore. Hell developers from Wayforward games(the company that built the DuckTales remake and the one the author was talking about), have formed a new independent studio, Yacht Club Games that is working on a new game.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

So the article is indeed full of shit

http://www.craveonline.com/gaming/articles/554519-embracing-tough-games-like-ducktales-remastered

Glad hardcore is well served.Smile

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2013-08-28

PM

The last game I really finished was a really long game too. The Witcher. Finished it a few months ago. I’m currently playing its sequel. Smile

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top