• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Keybordz

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Remember Me

Total Posts: 177

Joined 2006-03-28

PM

Received my game a yesterday. Unfortunately I won’t be able to play it for a couple of weeks since I’m super busy and will be traveling so I will be of no help to anyone looking for reviews. I’m excited to play though!

Total Posts: 1075

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

You’re right nowadays life too short for playing games anymore.

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Joined 2006-03-28

PM

Gabe - 05 June 2013 01:22 PM

You’re right nowadays life too short for playing games anymore.

That’s not really what I meant. I love games and I love spending my free time with games. We all just go through periods when there is just not enough time to do it!

Total Posts: 347

Joined 2006-07-30

PM

I don’t know about anybody else, but I’m enjoying the hell out of this game.  I actually really like the combat system.  It’s similar to Arkham (one of my favorite series ever) but with the ability to create your own combos to suit your style.  The combat gets much more interesting as you go, as you develop more and more ancillary techniques. 

The only downside at this point is that the platforming is ridiculously easy (but has anybody every been challenged by the platforming in these third person adventures?) and it’s extremely linear.  But, not every game has to be open world.

Anyway, I’ll leave final thoughts when I finish.  Look forward to hearing others’ opinions.

Between this and Last of Us, it’s gonna be a good June.

Total Posts: 1075

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

It’s ok from little bit of everything games,from capcom’s arcade classics,to modern classics like Riddick to AC series,devs.vision have no boundries within hybridism.
what i expect from french developers was a tpv parkour gameplay(mirror’s edge style) instead of ridiculously easy platforming, yes dissappointed again.

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Joined 2006-07-30

PM

Ok, so I finished my first playthrough, and I enjoyed the game a great deal.  Critical reaction to the game has been mixed, but that’s not to mean everyone thought it was average.  If you look at Metacritic, the game’s got a few critics who absolutely loved it and gave it 90 and there are a few people who thought it was mediocre and gave it 50.  And the rest are inbetween.  This fits with my experience.  I think there will be people who love it, and people who think it is just OK or not worth their time. 

Much has been made (even by the people who didn’t like the game as much) about the game’s future world view and the art/visual design of the game.  Both are phenomenal.  Regardless of whether the game succeeds commercially, I would love to see a novel or other new fiction set in the game’s universe.  It is very interesting and fairly unique, with its dystopian vision of social media taken to an extreme.  As a separate but related issue, I thought the graphics looked great on the PC.  It is not a straight port, as there are several different graphics options you can play with.

Much has also been made of the memory remix sections.  In truth, there are only a handful in the entire game.  They are reminiscent of a simplified Ghost Trick.  I don’t think they add any challenge to the game as much as they are just a cool continuation of the mechanics of the game’s universe.  However, besides the memory remixes, there are multiple other game mechanics that spring from the protagonist’s ability to manipulate memory.  Several in-game puzzles arise from these other mechanics.

Another part of the game that has gotten a lot of attention is the combat.  As I said earlier, it plays much like the Arkham games except you build your own combos as the game progresses.  There is no counter/counterattack function like in Arkham, though, so I think this throws some people off.  As you progress in the game, you learn longer and longer combos.  Throughout the game, though, you can customize these combos with different attributes (like extra damage, health regeneration, or cooldowns on special techniques).  I thought I wouldn’t like this, but I did.  It actually adds a lot of strategy.  As you encounter different enemy types throughout the game, you have to change your strategy and I found myself frequently fiddling with combos (sometimes even in the middle of the battle - which I liked that you could do).  I eventually had a system that worked for all situations and stuck with it.

There were a couple of things that I didn’t like about the game.  It is extremely linear.  For people who think Tomb Raider is linear, their heads will explode with this game.  The game is separated into distinct stages.  I’m used to old school games, so this did not really bother me, but don’t go into this expected an open world game.  It’s not.  The thing that bothered me more is that the game is prone to excessive hand holding.  There is a moderate amount of platforming in the game, but the game always has a little hyperlink over the next handhold, so you always know where you can grab/where you need to go next.  This was a little excessive, and I wish there had been an option to turn this help off.  Similarly, the final boss requires some strategic thinking and strategic use of your powers.  I think I had only been trying to figure it out around 3 or 4 minutes when a box popped up and told me what I was supposed to do.  For someone that hates hints, I didn’t like that and, again, I wish it was something that could have been turned off in the options.  However, compared to the rest of the game, these are minor complaints and not something that kept me from enjoying it.

Your available techniques and equipment continue to grow right up until the end of the game.  This is the rare game where I would say the gameplay gets more and more interesting the further you play into it.  For those that aren’t impressed in the first 30 minutes, it gets better and better right until the end.

As another aside, the musical score in this game is great.  Movie quality without sounding derivative of other similar sci-fi movies/games.  I’ll post a Spotify link to it:

http://open.spotify.com/album/6rqgb726zE5CQOcwi30MMQ

Anyway, if this is my longest post ever (which it is), it is because I really hope people give this game a complete playthrough.  Some have said the gameplay is a little rough.  In this way I think is may be comparable to the first Assassin’s Creed, which had great ideas which weren’t executed in the best way.  Now, I think Remember Me is much better than AC 1, but I can only imagine how great a sequel could be, along the lines of Assassin’s Creed 2, if the development team were allowed to fully develop all these ideas. 

For those that are unsure, or are holding their breath for The Last of Us, pick it up in the next Steam sale and give it a go.

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

I managed to pick this up in the sales.

Loved the story and the setting, but I did think the fighting isn’t on par with Batman and ends up using the same combos over and over.

Story was fun, but yes it’s very very linear.

I had fun with it, but wished there was more of the puzzle and remix bits.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 880

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

Interplay - 09 June 2013 07:56 PM

As another aside, the musical score in this game is great.  Movie quality without sounding derivative of other similar sci-fi movies/games.  I’ll post a Spotify link to it:

Spotify doesn’t let me see the album info straight from the web but…..thats the soundtrack link? My god i’ve been trying to listen to the OST again, I really dug it! I wholeheartedly agree with your sentiment.

Stuart Bradley Newsom - Naughty Shinobi || Our Game: Shadow Over Isolation

Joined 2006-07-30

PM

Monolith - 08 July 2013 12:28 PM
Interplay - 09 June 2013 07:56 PM

Spotify doesn’t let me see the album info straight from the web but…..thats the soundtrack link? My god i’ve been trying to listen to the OST again, I really dug it! I wholeheartedly agree with your sentiment.

Yeah, that’s the Spotify soundtrack link.  You can also just search Spotify for “remember me soundtrack” and find it pretty easily.  I think my favorite has to be the last minute and a half or so of track #8, “Memory Reconstruction”.

Total Posts: 59

Joined 2012-02-15

PM

After 3 hours Remember me bored me stiff,want to forget already.

Total Posts: 880

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

Interplay - 08 July 2013 01:34 PM

Yeah, that’s the Spotify soundtrack link.  You can also just search Spotify for “remember me soundtrack” and find it pretty easily.  I think my favorite has to be the last minute and a half or so of track #8, “Memory Reconstruction”.

It had to of been just added, I searched for it a couple of weeks ago, just typing ‘Remember Me’, but now, it shows up under albums. THANKS!

Stuart Bradley Newsom - Naughty Shinobi || Our Game: Shadow Over Isolation

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

JBS - 08 July 2013 04:18 PM

After 3 hours Remember me bored me stiff,want to forget already.

I have just started it,  put 2hrs in and the art, music, and story is sick.
I hope it continues that way, might become one of my personal favorite.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

I finished this some time ago. After a strong beginning, it kind of started strong but got a bit slow in the middle (story and combat) but it picked up towards the ending when they started throwing all kinds of enemies and story twists began.
I agree that the art and music are great, and it looks great, but the great looking environments kind feel small because of corridor and linearity design (and no interactions). The platfoming was also annoyingly easy (follow yellow arrow…).
The remix were frustrating, because they had potential but were too small and easy. It’s a very interesting with huge room for improvements - Nilin was a very cool protagonist.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I may just buy a used copy down the road. It is interesting - but I’ve got quite a few games I’ve got to finish right now.

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Joined 2006-03-28

PM

Finally started this after I finished The Last of Us. I guess I’m about halfway through or so.

The game is fun but it isn’t spectacular. The combat is okay. I had a frustrating bug with Madame boss that almost caused me to quit playing. Eventually I looked it up and found out that it was something with the game and not me so I plowed on.

I’m looking forward to finishing the game.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top