• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

The Bureau: X-Com

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

They have revamped the game form old 2010 version into this, which imo looks sick.
The gameplay has changed to perma-death of team members and hard difficult
3rd Person tactical Shooter.

Videos

Another game to look forward to on Current-Gen. Smile

Total Posts: 880

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

I always thought third person games were overdone moreso than fps….i’ll still play this though I’m disappointed in the change.

Stuart Bradley Newsom - Naughty Shinobi || Our Game: Shadow Over Isolation

Total Posts: 92

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Yeah, I’m sick to death of cover shooters so I’m not too fond of this change they’ve made even if the game still does look pretty good. I don’t think anyone’s really sick of first-person games, they’re just sick of what developers do what a first-person, which is make the exact same kind of shooter over and over again.

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

Indeed, though it is also tiring that people bring up the idea that the world is sick of first person games. I find it odd that no one counters these arguments with facts. Really, there are very few first person games in comparison to every other perspectives. I actually think that would make a decent article.

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Monolith - 15 May 2013 02:23 AM

Indeed, though it is also tiring that people bring up the idea that the world is sick of first person games. I find it odd that no one counters these arguments with facts. Really, there are very few first person games in comparison to every other perspectives. I actually think that would make a decent article.

You cannot make and balance game like Vanquish, MGR even adventure games like Heavyrain,
its a fact if you will think about it for long what i said without jumping he gun and posting reply in defense.

What is a FPS, duck cover shooter, the same mechanic will abused to death in nextgen too, as if BF4 and next CoD aint enough already. Mechanically FPS havent evolved much since Doom or Wolfenstein. The only different FPS or proper new FP games i felt in my gaming life

Breakdown, MetoridPrime and MirrorsEdge, others are same brought nothing new.

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

nomadsoul - 15 May 2013 05:43 AM

You cannot make and balance game like Vanquish, MGR even adventure games like Heavyrain,
its a fact if you will think about it for long what i said without jumping he gun and posting reply in defense.

What is a FPS, duck cover shooter, the same mechanic will abused to death in nextgen too, as if BF4 and next CoD aint enough already. Mechanically FPS havent evolved much since Doom or Wolfenstein. The only different FPS or proper new FP games i felt in my gaming life

Breakdown, MetoridPrime and MirrorsEdge, others are same brought nothing new.

Okay, in that same logic, the real culprit are JRPGs. Even adventure games are far more guilty of bringing nothing to the table moreso than FPSs.

Or do you mean ‘if its popular, its overdone’?

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

1. Resources spent on other genres are no way near FPS, them budgets.

2. JRPGs and Adventure games atleast throw some new battlesystem mechanics and puzzles respectively. In current gen for instance Lost odyssey, Ninokuni, Xenoblade, LastStory had different gameplay mechanics where in advnture genre Heavyrain, VLR, Layton, Cave,
Stacking etc. are different if not in interface , atleast in puzzles. But FPS are same , copy paste stuff from farcry3 to crysis3 , from killzone to new wolfenstein, from cod to battlefield , just new skins and even now the setpieces of falling choppers and building collapse, controlling turrets are beaten to death.

3. Yes popularity also propagates the idea of more ripoffs but onus is on the developers to explore new grounds in the genre.

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

nomadsoul - 16 May 2013 01:23 AM

1. Resources spent on other genres are no way near FPS, them budgets.

2. JRPGs and Adventure games atleast throw some new battlesystem mechanics and puzzles respectively. In current gen for instance Lost odyssey, Ninokuni, Xenoblade, LastStory had different gameplay mechanics where in advnture genre Heavyrain, VLR, Layton, Cave,
Stacking etc. are different if not in interface , atleast in puzzles. But FPS are same , copy paste stuff from farcry3 to crysis3 , from killzone to new wolfenstein, from cod to battlefield , just new skins and even now the setpieces of falling choppers and building collapse, controlling turrets are beaten to death.

3. Yes popularity also propagates the idea of more ripoffs but onus is on the developers to explore new grounds in the genre.

Why is it you feel the need to ignore everything else and focus on games caught in the spotlight? I disagree completely with everything there.

Lets talk about number 1. Did you know many genre’s have games that cost a lot? Yeah, that happens when they are developed by big studios or funded by whorish publishers. Cool thing yeah?

Number 2. Okay ignore 80% of the JRPG market which are just the same mechanics with one little change. Not so different from ‘big name’ fps games. I didn’t know making a simple mechanic really complicated makes the games better. What, people got sick of click on the enemy to attack? Oh, you have to press attack at the right moment to critical hit? Oh my, ground breaking. But who cares, absolute BIAS is the new Hipster.

3. There we go. Just had to read that and invalidate your argument. Did you know there are far more First Person games that experiment with new mechanics than lets say RPG’s or even adventure games? Yeah Portal was just a generic first person shooter. Oh wait, your confusing gaming perspective with a very SPECIFIC subgenre. Seems you didn’t realize that I never mentioned first person shooter in the post you quoted.

Whatever. You’re ignoring facts just to jump on the bandwagon hate on First Person games. Not to mention, ignore the facts about what you’re replying to.

nomadsoul - 15 May 2013 05:43 AM

Also, WHAT THE F*** are you talking about? I never jumped the gun. Did I rape someone you know? Did I take a crap on your lawn? Seriously, learn to READ.

I don’t care about your straw hat argument. You started it, and i’ll end it.

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Rape, whorish F***, thats really professional from your side dude, sorry cannot come down
to your level, you win.

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

nomadsoul - 16 May 2013 02:56 AM

Rape, whorish F***, thats really professional from your side dude, sorry cannot come down
to your level, you win.

Yes everyone! Kicked his dog.

Also its terribly hard to react to calmly to a nuisance at your level.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Tone down the insults, please. We encourage heated debate but don’t let it become personal!

Remaining calm and argumenting your points without the name-calling is the way to go… Wink

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 523

Joined 2010-02-08

PM

For what it’s worth, the change of The Bureau to third-person was done because it worked better with the tactical gameplay when you could see yourself on the battlefield, use full- or half-height cover, etc.

The Evolution of The Bureau: XCOM Declassified
Explaining the Camera Change, 1st Person to 3rd Person

The perspective really does make sense for this particular game even if at this point third-person is perhaps more overdone than first-person is in the AAA space.

Also, as Nico Bihary mentioned in the interview about the camera above, the E3 2011 demo showed a hybrid of first-person when moving around and shooting, and third-person when in what was then called “Tactical Mode” or “Tac Mode” (now called “Battle Focus”). The game later shifted to all third-person.

However, it is perfectly fair to be sad about some of the elements from the E3 2010 and E3 2011 versions that have since changed or are no longer present. The core game hasn’t changed as much as some people think from the 2011 version in particular which was already tactical in nature, but it is undeniable that there were cool alternative ways the game might have developed that have been lost to time. That is game development, though.

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

I thought it was going to be a strategy game like every other iteration in the series - I suppose this looks pretty neat-o too.

It’s 2K Games with members from Irrational working on it as well so I’m expecting a pretty high quality finished product.

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

I apologize nomadsoul. I shouldn’t have been such a dick. I tend to react harshly to the unexpected. Please forgive me. Grin It was very unprofessional of me.

@Caliburn: Interesting articles. I can agree that the perspective fits better for the gameplay, but I’m a fan of games that try to do something new, if it be mechanics wise or a very cool artistic direction or unique theme. If it stuck to the FPS gameplay, it would of had a strong resemblance to the old first person shooter games back in the mid 90’s which were lost to the casual/console gaming market. ex: Upgradable hub with a variety of options. From the look of it, the game would of been a welcome change to the mainstream first person market. I had a feeling it would be more like Bioshock than Modern Warfare and I really can’t complain about that. haha

Like I said though, I’m still going to play/buy this game. Still looks intriguing.

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

http://kotaku.com/watch-us-play-the-bureau-its-xcom-with-a-dash-of-mas-812197221

There is some Masseffect thrown in, but game is looking fun. Killer is Dead
and Xcom next month, great.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top