• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Is it me or are turn-based games making a comeback this year?

Total Posts: 6

Joined 2011-03-09

PM

I love turn based tactical combat games. My favourite one was the Valkyria Chronicles, but the new X-COM was pretty good as well!

Turn based tactical combat seemed to be all but dead for the past 10 years, but I look at some of 2013’s more interesting games to come and they all seem to include turn-based combat! Of course they’re all indie, and mostly kickstarter projects!

Some of them include:
Dead State
Shadowrun returns
Omerta: city of thugs
Age of Decadence
Wasteland 2
Divinity: Original Sin
and of course, The Banner Saga

What do you think?

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

I think that’s a welcome return, especially in the RPG genre.
I like taking my time and planning my attacks instead of hastily button-mashing like is usually the case lately…
It also makes the games more adventure-like (not requiring reflexes at all), and that’s always a plus!

I’ve always liked turn-based a whole lot more than real-time games. That’s why the Civilization series has always been my favourite strategy series, and why I never got into Command & Conquer and the likes… Tongue

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2011-03-09

PM

Yeah, I love it as well! Must be because we’re adventuregamers! we’re addicted to using our brains in gaming… Smile

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Balderduck - 05 January 2013 08:12 PM

we’re addicted to using our brains in gaming… Smile

Or at least to “taking our time” and “playing at our own leisure”... Grin

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Balderduck - 05 January 2013 07:55 PM

I love turn based tactical combat games. My favourite one was the Valkyria Chronicles, but the new X-COM was pretty good as well!

Turn based tactical combat seemed to be all but dead for the past 10 years, but I look at some of 2013’s more interesting games to come and they all seem to include turn-based combat! Of course they’re all indie, and mostly kickstarter projects!

Some of them include:
Dead State
Shadowrun returns
Omerta: city of thugs
Age of Decadence
Wasteland 2
Divinity: Original Sin
and of course, The Banner Saga

What do you think?

Yes all niche genres are returning, to some extent Horror genre is being revivied too
thanks to new funding and distribution models and some courage of doing passion work.

You missed recently released CrimsonShroud on 3ds, hearing great things about it.

NinoKuni is releasing this month on PS3 and is good hybrid of Realtime and Turnbased,
got perfect scores from RPGland and Playstation lifestyle.

Yes loved Valyria , great turnbased game along with Resonance of Fate. Awesome experience.

Joined 2011-03-09

PM

Is resonance of fate good? There are so many mixed reviews! They go from masterpiece to piece of crap!
Is it worth a try?
Oh and it’s ValKyria! Old Valyria was doomed, remember? Smile All we have now is valyrian steel!

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

there can be no doubt, “the industry” has decided that turn based isnt relevant, and we’ve been getting very few major titles. But the demand for them still exists, so one way or another they’ll keep getting made.

Total Posts: 643

Joined 2006-09-24

PM

Yup. Going to be a great year for TBS games. The Banner Saga and Wasteland 2 are tops for me.

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

zane - 08 January 2013 04:11 PM

“the industry” has decided that turn based isnt relevant, and we’ve been getting very few major titles.

“Kickstarter” has decided that we no longer care what “the industry” decides… Thumbs Up

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Balderduck - 08 January 2013 02:29 PM

Is resonance of fate good? There are so many mixed reviews! They go from masterpiece to piece of crap!
Is it worth a try?
Oh and it’s ValKyria! Old Valyria was doomed, remember? Smile All we have now is valyrian steel!

Yeah yeah its a typo, infact i loved Valkyria anime too, one of the better game animes.

Yes highly recommend Resonance of Fate, You are right, RoF is love or hate type of game, i loved almost everything about the game, music, battlesystem, eccentric world and story, the grid system to progress and explore worlds, choreography and action in battles, customization of clothes, wardrobe is cool as hell. The boss fights were epic and intense, battle system elements like Triforce were refreshing. These are type of experiments that give me some faith in gaming which is rife with conventional mainstream experiences in the mask of games.

So try it , you can get it cheap now.

Total Posts: 34

Joined 2012-08-23

PM

I was so excited when I saw Jagged Alliance has been remade, but after watching video reviews it reminds me too much of Neverwinter Nights. Too many painful memories…  Sick

Total Posts: 164

Joined 2007-11-25

PM

First gameplay video of Wasteland 2. Looks nice and tactical Smile

Joined 2007-11-25

PM

A new game in the Jagged Alliance series has entered Kickstarter. One of the new features is base building:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2079547763/jagged-alliance-flashback/

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Well we got X-COM remake which was really good but turn-based RPGs are dead. If there is a new turn-based RPG it will only be semi-turn-based and not full. Last year we got Legend of Grimrock which was good but it turned out to be realtime. I would kill for a new turn-based RPG in the vein of NWN: Mask of the Betrayer or Temple of Elemental Evil. Those were fantastic games.

Shadowrun won’t be turn-based. The original wasn’t even turn-based.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Divinity: Original Sin is a fantasy turn-based RPG. The kickstarter is almost ending.

Joined 2007-11-25

PM

There are quite a few turn-based RPGs in the horizon, and at least a handful released the past few years. A sample:

Released:

Avadon: The Black Fortress
Penny Arcade’s On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness 3
Avernum: Escape From the Pit
Frayed Knights
Underworld Gold

Upcoming:

Wasteland 2
Shadowrun Returns (from what I’ve read it’s 100% turn-based)
Dead State
Age of Decadence
Chaos Chronicles
Blackguards
Might and Magic X

EDIT: Come to think of it, Precipice of Darkness 3 is probably semi-turn-based.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top