• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Jdawg445

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Sherlock Holmes - Adventures

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

We have had quite a few Sherlock Holmes adventures over the years. Some great…some not so great.

What have been you favourite outing of the worlds 2nd greatest detective (Batman wins Tongue)?

Sherlock: The Riddle of the Crown Jewels (1988) (Infocom)
Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective (1991) (ICOM Simulations)
Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective Vol. II (1992) (ICOM Simulations)
Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective Vol. III (1993) (ICOM Simulations)
The Lost Files of Sherlock Holmes: The Case of the Serrated Scalpel (1992) (Electronic Arts) (PC)
The Lost Files of Sherlock Holmes: The Case of the Rose Tattoo (1996) (Electronic Arts) (PC)
Sherlock Holmes: Mystery of the Mummy (2002) (Frogwares) (PC) (DS)
Sherlock Holmes: The Case of the Silver Earring (2004) (Frogwares) (PC)
Sherlock Holmes: The Awakened (2006) (Frogwares) (PC)
Sherlock Holmes versus Arsène Lupin (2007) (Frogwares) (PC)
Sherlock Holmes versus Jack the Ripper (2009) (Frogwares) (PC) (X360)
Sherlock Holmes and the Mystery of Osbourne House (2010) (Frogwares) (DS)
The Testament of Sherlock Holmes (2012) (Frogwares) (PS3) (X360) (PC)

I was always partial to The Silver Earing.

Now we have a new one on the horizon (Sept I think) Are you excited for it?

Here is the latest trailer for E3 2012

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 106

Joined 2010-10-27

PM

Serrated Scalpel is the best from what I’ve seen, a very good murder-mystery game. Although I haven’t played through Rose Tattoo. Jack the Ripper is the second best Sherlock game so far. Seems like there’s some connection between those two characters…

Total Posts: 1813

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

I only played the Serrated Scalpel and the Rose Tattoo (which I can’t finish for some reason), but I like the first one best. The story is intriguing and comprehensible, it has a lot of very nice red herrings in it and it was fun to play. I found the Rose Tattoo too complicated for my liking.

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

Arial Type - 04 June 2012 04:41 AM

Serrated Scalpel is the best from what I’ve seen, a very good murder-mystery game. Although I haven’t played through Rose Tattoo. Jack the Ripper is the second best Sherlock game so far. Seems like there’s some connection between those two characters…

There is a connection between Sherlock Holmes and Jack the Ripper. Arthur Conan Doyle’s university professor Joseph Bell (who was pretty much the role model for the whole Sherlock character) was part of the crew trying to catch Jack the Ripper. It was never officially announced anywhere, but after Bell named a suspect, after a week the killings stopped. So the speculation is that the “real life” Sherlock actually caught Jack the Ripper.

I played Serrated Scalpel ages ago, I liked it very much but got stuck Smile. It’s abandonware now though so I recently grabbed it and will try it again some day (which might or might not be within this decade Wink) I also need to play the Rose Tattoo for the first time. From the Frogware games I found Awakened pretty good.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 106

Joined 2010-10-27

PM

millenia - 04 June 2012 08:49 AM

There is a connection between Sherlock Holmes and Jack the Ripper. Arthur Conan Doyle’s university professor Joseph Bell (who was pretty much the role model for the whole Sherlock character) was part of the crew trying to catch Jack the Ripper. It was never officially announced anywhere, but after Bell named a suspect, after a week the killings stopped. So the speculation is that the “real life” Sherlock actually caught Jack the Ripper.

Wow, thank you for the insight! I never even thought that his character was inspired by someone, especially by the Ripper reveler. That explains a lot. Some fan of Holmes I am Smile

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

I only played Rose Tattoo and The Awakened, but I prefer the first. Have to try more of the more recent ones.

Also the recent BBC series Sherlock is wonderful TV drama!

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

wilco - 04 June 2012 05:47 PM

Also the recent BBC series Sherlock is wonderful TV drama!

Just the best show ever. It actually inspired me to read Sherlock books and play the games now, never was a huge Sherlock fan even though I could appreciate a fine detective in victorian London as much as (or a bit more than) the next guy.

Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

I like all of them that I’ve played but I liked the Lost Files games the best. They seemed to be the ones most similar to the books.

Total Posts: 9

Joined 2011-03-15

PM

I love the Sherlock Holmes games - but I’ve never heard of the case of the serrated scalpel or the case of the rose tattoo - where can you get them from?

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

The Lost Files of Sherlock Holmes - The Case of the Serrated Scalpel is abandonware.

[LINK REMOVED]

Rose Tattoo is another thing then… you might have to hunt it down from Amazon or something and possibly pay yourself silly.

You can upvote these kind of old adventures in GoG community wishlist, don’t know if it makes a difference but it can’t hurt.

Total Posts: 9

Joined 2011-03-15

PM

So is this Abandonia site a safe place to download from?

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

As far as I know the site seems to be a legit one. For example the games that are not abandonware only have links to the sites where to buy them. But I haven’t yet actually played any of the games I picked up from the site.

Total Posts: 461

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

May I remind you about the site’s rules on posting links to abandonware.

Due to the dubious legality of such sites, we do not want links to them here. Thanks.

Now Playing: Harold Halibut, Final Fantasy VII Rebirth, Baldur’s Gate 3, Alan Wake Remastered, Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
Recently Completed: Botany Manor, Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney Trilogy, Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth, Silent Hill: The Short Message, Under the Waves
Anticipating: Beyond Good and Evil 2
Backing: Asylum

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top