• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Lady KestrelrtrooneySpeedBo

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

[Archived] Time for a new community playthrough?

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Fien - 17 January 2013 06:25 AM

Oscar, I’m disappointed. I actually thought you and I had more or less the same taste in adventures. To be honest, I can see why people wouldn’t like Spycraft. No real exploration, just puzzles, detective work and FMV cut scenes. Perhaps not suitable for a community playthrough.

I didn’t like the story. Politics doesn’t interest me and it feels like I’m playing an employee induction game designed by the CIA. I wanted to tell my superiors “eat my shorts” instead of following their orders Content

And Fien, I’m equally disappointed that you don’t like Kyrandia Cry

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

zobraks - 17 January 2013 06:41 AM

Yeah, I liked The Space Bar too (although I’m not going to finish it any time soon).

I’ll finish it (although with the current tempo I might do that when the real world starts to look like the one in the game ). Apart from it, I have on my radar: Dracula series, Keepsake, A Vampyre Story, Tex series, The Book of Unwritten Tales, Chains of Satinav, Zork: Grand Inquisitor, Shannara… Tongue

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 2978

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

My suggestions:

Toonstruck
The Neverhood
A Vampyre Story
Discworld
Freddy Pharkas
Callahan’s Crosstime Saloon
I Have no Mouth and I Must Scream (I found a copy! Smile )

Total Posts: 946

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

Sefir, we’ve already had a Lost Crown community playthrough.

Now playing: ——-
Recently finished: don’t remember
Up next:  Eh…
Looking forward to:
Ithaka of the Clouds; The Last Crown; all the kickstarter adventure games I supported

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Fien - 17 January 2013 07:53 AM

Sefir, we’ve already had a Lost Crown community playthrough.

Gasp

Edited.

Total Posts: 4249

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

Sefir - 17 January 2013 08:13 AM

Now playing: Bad Mojo

And, before you suggest it , we already had a Bad Mojo playthrough.

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

zobraks - 17 January 2013 08:19 AM

And, before you suggest it , we already had a Bad Mojo playthrough.

I knew that! Pan

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

I regularly think I’ll join the next community playthrough, and end up not doing it for lack of time, so I’ll probably skip that one too. Still, a few comments:

1) The Pandora Directive has variations on the story, but that only affects cutscenes. The gameplay is always the same, and pretty linear, so the game would be suited to a community playthrough. It is pretty long, however, and I’m not sure another neverending playthrough is a fantastic idea at this point.

2) Games such as Discworld (1 or 2), Toonstruck, etc. are extremely non-linear, and as such really not well-suited to a community playthrough.

3) I might be tempted into joining a Dreamfall playthrough (and giving up halfway through, as always).

4) List of games I can think of that are linear and interesting enough to make good playthrough material:

- The Ace Attorney games
- The Broken Sword games (has there been a BS1 playthrough already?)
- Death Gate
- The Dig
- Dragonsphere (free on GOG!)
- Dreamfall
- Fahrenheit
- Freddy Pharkas (blech)
- Full Throttle (has that already been done?)
- Ghost Trick
- Hotel Dusk / Last Window
- Myst III/IV/V (provided the host says in what order the Ages should be explored)
- Obsidian? (does it even run on modern computers???)
- Rhodan (too long?)
- Shadow of the Comet (I’d replay that)
- One of the “good” Space Quests (3,4,5)?
- Syberia?
- UAKM / The Pandora Directive
- Time Hollow

I’m not saying I’d personally take part in all of these, just putting some ideas out there.

Total Posts: 946

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

Kurufinwe - 17 January 2013 11:19 AM

I regularly think I’ll join the next community playthrough, and end up not doing it

That’s quite allright. You don’t want to spend your precious time with ridiculous people.

Now playing: ——-
Recently finished: don’t remember
Up next:  Eh…
Looking forward to:
Ithaka of the Clouds; The Last Crown; all the kickstarter adventure games I supported

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Fien - 17 January 2013 11:44 AM

That’s quite allright. You don’t want to spend your precious time with ridiculous people.

Pan

@Kurufinwe: I don’t think we’ll get a lot of love for the DS games (even though they’re all simply awesome). I don’t think there’s all that many DS owners present…

As for the games: I’d be up for Spycraft, too. I wouldn’t mind an investigative game again. It’s not like The Space Bar is all that investigative, with its emphasis on emp-tels…

I’d vote against The Pandora Directive though, because I don’t want to start the series with the fourth and penultimate game in the series and I won’t be getting through three games fast enough to catch up. Besides, the Overseer playthrough was only a year ago.

I can agree on Dreamfall. Just have to rush through TLJ first if we go that route.

Btw, didn’t we *almost* vote for A Vampyre Story last year?

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 183

Joined 2008-03-28

PM

I’d be interested in joining, depending on what game is chosen of course.  Smile
Unfortunately I somewhat recently played Spycraft already and I’m pretty sure Dreamfall is not for me.

From what’s mentioned I like
Callahan’s Crosstime Saloon
Dragonsphere (never gave it any thought)
Kyrandia 2 (yes I liked that one, not 1 and 3 though)
Myst 4 or 5
Phantasmagoria 2 (never played it)

Has a playthrough of Scratches ever been considered? It’s conveniently divided in time segments and it’s creator posts here often. That could be interesting.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

HandsFree - 17 January 2013 01:05 PM

Has a playthrough of Scratches ever been considered? It’s conveniently divided in time segments and it’s creator posts here often. That could be interesting.

That’s actually an intriguing suggestion. Having Agustín chiming in during a playthrough sounds fascinating… Thumbs Up

To a lesser extent, the same goes for Callahan’s Crosstime Saloon - Josho is known to visit these forums too.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 505

Joined 2011-01-12

PM

I’ve been planning to play either A Vampire Story or The Book of Unwritten Tales, and I see others have mentioned it too, so I think that might be a good idea for a playthrough. Grin

Everything you need to know about me has already been told.

Total Posts: 643

Joined 2006-09-24

PM

TimovieMan - 17 January 2013 01:37 PM
HandsFree - 17 January 2013 01:05 PM

That’s actually an intriguing suggestion. Having Agustín chiming in during a playthrough sounds fascinating… Thumbs Up

Wouldn’t Agustín rather play through Syberia? Wink

(lol sorry, I’ve been teasing him for this too much lately)

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

I never did one and would like to join on a playthrough.
No problem with most of games mentioned so any game is fine by me.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top