• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Jdawg445walas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Microsoft acquires Bethesda

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

Huge news in gaming. Probably not very relevant for AG, but in the gaming landscape, it is a significant move. Microsoft has just added as many employees to its gaming division as all of Playstation world wide studios. For me personally, I don’t like the consolidation happening in gaming (and other media), because it kills competition which is always worse for the consumers long term.

Total Posts: 310

Joined 2018-12-01

PM

I mean, they’re probably the most overrated studio in existence, so it can only get better right? The early Fallout games were Ok but their output since the early 00s blurs together as a beige one-size-fits-all mix of gameplay styles designed to please everyone.

(sorry but I really don’t like their brand of “make your way through this game any way you like, make it as easy or difficult as you like” and ramping up player control to a degree that the game ceases to have any shape or personality to it)

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

Vehelon - 21 September 2020 10:27 PM

I mean, they’re probably the most overrated studio in existence, so it can only get better right? The early Fallout games were Ok but their output since the early 00s blurs together as a beige one-size-fits-all mix of gameplay styles designed to please everyone.

(sorry but I really don’t like their brand of “make your way through this game any way you like, make it as easy or difficult as you like” and ramping up player control to a degree that the game ceases to have any shape or personality to it)

Yeah their games are too open world, so I can see why that might be a turn off for some people. But I think more than Bethesda softworks, I am curious about their parent company Zenimax’s other studios that Microsoft added to their fold: id Software(Doom), Tango Gameworks(The Evil Within), Machine Games(Wolfenstein), Arkane Studios(Prey, Dishonored), Roundhouse(ex Humanhead Studios). That is an impressive list of talent.

Total Posts: 1350

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

I mean, I totally respect your opinion of course, but it frankly boggles my mind how anyone can look at Morrowind and call it ‘beige’. The setting and feel of the game is hugely distinctive for me and I still remember how blown away I was by it at the time, really stood out from anything else I’d played. Maybe it’s just because it was my first ‘open world’ type game but the possibilities seemed endless and the landscape changes were distinctive but so alien.

Also the level of hand holding was pretty much non-existent compared to most games released today in a similar style. Looking back on it now we call it ‘bad game design’ to have no quest markers and an ordered journal/log, but I think there is something to be said for a game that doesn’t even let you get properly started on the main quest until you’ve joined a faction or two and started exploring the world for yourself.

Oh well, each to his own I suppose. Smile

3.5 time winner of the “Really Annoying Caption Contest Saboteur” Award!

Joined 2018-12-01

PM

I’ve only played a bit of Morrowind, and it seemed like a step up (possibly a big one) from the later TES titles, which is why I said early 2000s. I thought it was released in the 90s but I was wrong. I know they had a couple of other cool games around the same time like Redguard so no doubt Fallout 1 and 2 aren’t the only great Bethesda games.

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2020-08-24

PM

I don’t know what to say about it. I hope it will be good for gamers. At least it’s not Electronic Arts.

Hey guys! If you need help with your bestessays writing - contact me.

Total Posts: 55

Joined 2020-09-23

PM

The early Fallout games were Ok but their output since the early 00s blurs together as a beige one-size-fits-all mix

Maybe it was the way you wrote it, but in case you’re unaware Fallout 1 was done by Interplay, its sequel by Black Isle Studios and B.o.S. by Micro Forté. Bethesda’s first Fallout was in 2008.

SoccerDude - 22 September 2020 12:22 AM

Yeah their games are too open world, so I can see why that might be a turn off for some people.

They are? They’ve been streamlining their IPs since Daggerfall to the point they became practically linear experiences (and thusly unexciting).

Joined 2018-12-01

PM

Maroko - 23 September 2020 01:15 PM

The early Fallout games were Ok but their output since the early 00s blurs together as a beige one-size-fits-all mix

Maybe it was the way you wrote it, but in case you’re unaware Fallout 1 was done by Interplay, its sequel by Black Isle Studios and B.o.S. by Micro Forté. Bethesda’s first Fallout was in 2008.

Yeah, you’re right. Looks like I’m just not that into Bethesda games. The Fallout reboot was bad too.

Total Posts: 55

Joined 2020-09-23

PM

Have you guys & gals seen all the rumours/conspirancy theories out there saying Microsoft bought Sega and has been leaving us crumbs until the proper announcement?

Here’s the “proof”: [first]  [second]  [third]

It’d be something, now wouldn’t it?

Total Posts: 111

Joined 2006-12-29

PM

I wonder what this means for Elder Scrolls VI. Normally this kind of shake-up wouldn’t bode well, but with the way the latest Fallout games turned out I wasn’t exactly holding my breath to begin with so maybe it’ll actually be an improvement.
That Sega stuff is funny but looks like a combination of wishful thinking and memes more than anything else.

The golden age of mathematics - that was not the age of Euclid, it is ours. -Cassius Jackson Keyser

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

Harald B - 28 September 2020 02:53 PM

I wonder what this means for Elder Scrolls VI. Normally this kind of shake-up wouldn’t bode well, but with the way the latest Fallout games turned out I wasn’t exactly holding my breath to begin with so maybe it’ll actually be an improvement.
That Sega stuff is funny but looks like a combination of wishful thinking and memes more than anything else.

Microsoft made it clear that they will respect any current contracts (like Death Loop for example being exclusive on Playstation for a year although it is part of the acquisition). As for future titles like ES 6, they said they will release them on XBOX and Windows exclusively, and potentially on other platforms on a title per title basis. I think their long term goal is to become platform agnostic and more of a service (through their Gamepass service), because the long term future of gaming is probably not as much in physical devices but more in streaming services like what’s happening with TV and movies.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top