• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

KeybordzLady Kestrel

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Heroine’s Quest; an officially unofficial community play-through

Total Posts: 291

Joined 2018-01-11

PM

I entered and explored the caves of Svartalfheim so that was neat.

I noticed that one person if you trade them a tool, they will trade you something useful, but you can go back with another tool you don’t need if you realize you accidentally gave away the wrong thing.  So if you need the pickaxe, or shovel, or net, go back and trade something else to get it back.

I was able to rescue the kidnapped, and I tried to use a wind spell to clean a man’s house, but I’m pretty sure I just made a mess and upset him T_T

I really wanted to see the reward he would have had for me if I “succeeded” in cleaning with the wind magic that I found just before I left out of the forest.  I think it’s one of those skill checks you were talking about where you need to grind it out.

Instead I just stole stuff and got stuck on the awful sliding tile puzzles.  I usually have no issue with sliding tile puzzles, but this one was brutal for me.

I think I’ll be able to retrieve my pack from thrivaldi now because I unlocked some rad new spells like dispelling magic, teleport.

did any one find in the gemstone cave the hidden chest, and actually fought the dragon guy?  I tried, but that dragon is intensely powerful, so I just traded it back for the gemstone and went on my merry way.

Now that I’m back in the human world, I have some serious confronting of some NPC’s to do.  It turns out some people may be more than I thought.

Eitri has a longer list of things they’ll trade for, so I’ll keep my eyes peeled for that.

And I’ll keep thinking about what to do with the ice wall, and the bridge troll (I don’t have a goat!)

I have no leads on Alviss.

And there’s is this weird enchanted chest that I can’t get a potion from inside.  I have some ideas, but nothing yet has worked for me to retrieve it.

I think once I get my pack back, I’ll be able to make healing potions!

Considering the really tough battle I just had, I’ll make sure to carry some with me from now on.

CH3 just began, and I’m going to take a short break from playing while you guys report in.

Image Attachments

sentient_jello_and_rocktopus.PNGheroine_quest_portal_ref.PNG

Click thumbnail to see full-size image

Total Posts: 645

Joined 2017-08-27

PM

I just did the thing in the gemstone cave you mentioned.(I won the fight, so I suppose this also takes care of Regin’s side of the quest??) I thought it was powerful too until I met three Destinies and their challenge. Sheesh! This I cannot pass yet there are just too many enemies in this wolf/deer thing. I’ll keep trying, but I feel like I need 5 healing and 5 stamina potions MINIMUM.

I have finally obtained the blue flower, but I have no idea what I need it for, haha. It sucks because it makes you more prone to cold once you start carrying it, but I don’t feel like re-doing the entire thing, so for now - I suffer.

I’m currently on the never-ending quest for the Eyes of Phazi Grin

It involves tying so many loose ends on all the quests - pretty much all of the uncompleted ones…
I do not know what to do about archery and Snorri yet, and still am trying to find a way to get rid of the guarding animals, including the bird in the tradesman’s cage, no luck with that so far.

How did Andvari (sp?) get mad at you for messing up his shop? Because I did it too - but I flooded it by moving the crate, so he got upset, turned into fish and swam away. I also payed for it dearly - I got the cursed ring from his shop. That was not fun at first, but there’s a good way to get rid of it - that’s also kind of helpful, although I’m not entirely sure what it gives me besides eliminating yet one more thing on the map.

I finally got into the tower above the lake (due to grinding the climbing out to 100%) - it was alright, not REALLY worth it in my opinion…

Also, now that I know who is the lady in the ring of fire, I’m still curious about the swamp area on the map of Midgard - anyone got anything out of it yet?

Edit: the ice wall provides you with a really cool piece of the lore and a neat way to die , don’t think there’s anything else there, but I might be wrong. Courtesy of the same good old 100% climbing stat.

Total Posts: 310

Joined 2018-12-01

PM

I’m surprised to hear about the grinding for other classes. I haven’t had to do ANY as a fighter. Even things like animal ken and climbing, which I didn’t think were the traditional skills of a fighter. It could be that strength has an impact on climbing, or fighters can climb anything, because I was able to get up the wall to the tower with climbing well below 100.

Where I’m stuck at the moment is getting past the poison thorn in the swamp. I think I need to explore more of Svartelfheim, because that’s the only place I haven’t fully explored, and there’s not much more to do in midgard.

Also saw 2 more easter eggs if anyone is interested - a cop from Police Quest in the jail and another character I think was meant to be from QFG3

Joined 2018-01-11

PM

So DCast,

I’m really stunned you could overcome at the gemstone room!
I got destroyed in a second, and while I considered trying it again and again
it was probably a dozen times harder than fighting skrymir.

If I play through again, I’m not gonna back down so I can find out what the reward is, or maybe I can just find it in their house…

Yeah so Andvari offered to accept my challenge to clean his house in exchange for armor (very reminiscent of cleaning the house in KQ4), and I cast my wind spell thinking maybe I could blow the dust out or something.

The game very blatantly tells me “That will work, but you do not have enough skill to direct the wind.”  So I just kept casting it until I got a different message, this time just Andvari yelling at me, and doing the same thing you said happened.

I would really love to see what kind of armor he had because I have more endurance now, but still not a ton of health.

Since Andvari left, I went through his stuff, and I did NOT find a ring.

I found what looks like a magical lock pick or wand?  Some of the in-game description makes me think it IS a lockpick for magically sealed things, but it didn’t work on heime’s cell.   That was the first thing I tried.

Yeah I’ve tried to climb a lot of things including that Ice wall, but since I have no climbing skill, it’s usually to comedic effect.

Yeah so speaking of the blue flowers:

I think Liff or Aurvandel told me they are alchemical ingredients, but everyone knows they are dangerous.  I once was able to get them knocked down to where I could pick them up, but could not figure out how.  I always instantly died, but if I have some sort of device to carry it safely, then I might be able to use it in a potion.
But Liff was very clear to me that he did not want these flowers to be given to Lithrasir, so I know it’s not for that reason.

I imagine the flowers can be used to make a potion that will help me solve a puzzle later because herbalism is a mage skill that helps mages identify plants, and use them to make potions, which honestly hasn’t come up much before just now, because I found the recipe in a house in Svartalfheim.  I think it’s interesting that the real bulk of herbalism skill is introduced so late in the game.

Last thing;
I stole a potion from Skrymir’s house, and it turned me into a beautiful CGA heroine!   It was pretty funny.

Joined 2017-08-27

PM

Vehelon - 30 July 2020 03:40 AM

I’m surprised to hear about the grinding for other classes. I haven’t had to do ANY as a fighter. Even things like animal ken and climbing, which I didn’t think were the traditional skills of a fighter. It could be that strength has an impact on climbing, or fighters can climb anything, because I was able to get up the wall to the tower with climbing well below 100.

Where I’m stuck at the moment is getting past the poison thorn in the swamp. I think I need to explore more of Svartelfheim, because that’s the only place I haven’t fully explored, and there’s not much more to do in midgard.

Animal Ken IS (somehow) a fighter skill. When you don’t have it, staying warm and getting food/money sucks, I would know.  Grin

Well, perhaps the wall below tower was a bit less then 100 climbing - I know it didn’t let me do it at 75, but when I came back later, I was already maxed out. I definitely needed 100 to climb ice walls though - the only way I was able to explore the one in Svartelfheim.

Also, say, without 100 jumping - it didn’t let me jump over the chassis in the mushroom place.

Thief is definitely all about grinding.

I can’t seem to do anything in that place! Was there any hints by anyone that warrior can do something there?

Joined 2017-08-27

PM

Celebreon,

I think it’s mostly because I’m at a 100 with all my stats at this point. Again it’s the cave with Thee Destinies chicks that’s SUPER-DUPER-MEGA hard. And I don’t know if I REALLY needed to beat it, although I have. After approximately 17864 re-plays. Were you able to do it?

If you’re curious about the post-fight in the gemstone cave for thief - I got the chest and brought it over to Regin, since I technically completed his “brotherly love request” and he gave me a horse statuette that is supposed to make me go faster. I think it does. I thought that was the end of it, but I recently discovered that If I pickpocket a person I just gave something to - I have a really high chance to get the item back. So I stole the chest, opened it with my lockpicks and got like 40-50 silver, while the chest itself has disappeared. Whew!

I’m curious if everyone came across Regin and Fafnir’s quest and how did you decide? I went with Regin’s side because it coincidentally played into a part of another quest, but I’d love to hear what happens if you go with Fafnir’s request.

As far as Andvari - I think I saw him around swimming in the lake and waterfall. I wonder if there’s a way to catch him, and if it’s gonna lead to something
I think one of the locals mentioned dragonscale armor offhandedly.

Good that you didn’t find the ring. If you’re curios, it makes everyone stop talking to you, which is hilarious considering circumstances. And is a bit of a pain to get rid of. The second you take it off - it reappears on your finger

I think it is, indeed, a magic lockpick. I have used it on a place I thought was available only to mages, but it surprised me with another lore bit! Let’s just say the weird hairstyle of Volund’s wife now makes more sense.

You know, I’m starting to question if this blue flower will be of any use to thief at all. I don’t have herbalism, but I DO have the device needed to procure and carry this flower. I’m a bit confused on this one.

Right now I’m trying to:
1. Deal with jarl’s “situation”. Seems like I have the right tool, but the game keeps telling me “Your timing is off”, whatever that means.

2. Get a certain someone out of jail.

I’m also still looking where can I get the bow for the archery thing with Snorri, and - for the millionth time - a way to pacify guarding animals of all kinds. I’m no longer convinced it exists, but I’ll keep trying some more.

P.S. I just learned something new for myself (that most of you probably have known) - you can actually trade for wares! I was just blindly pressing “accept, until I realize you can knock down prices significantly if you’re willing to bargain. That was neat.

Joined 2018-12-01

PM

Animal ken is a cool skill to have. I managed to get my stolen stuff back from Thrivaldi by taming the fox, picking it up and using it in the cave to grab my stuff

DCast - 30 July 2020 09:15 PM

I can’t seem to do anything in that place! Was there any hints by anyone that warrior can do something there?

Yeah - that’s the warrior’s path to rescuing the valkyrie, by killing the beast on the other side of the swamp. A few people have told me that once chapter 3 started. I’ve managed to chop down the tree to make a bridge, but the plant kills me halfway across. I’m guessing the mage and thief have different paths, (flame spell has got to come in handy to pass the flames[/spoiler]) so maybe they don’t need to go there?

Joined 2017-08-27

PM

Vehelon - 30 July 2020 09:50 PM

Animal ken is a cool skill to have. I managed to get my stolen stuff back from Thrivaldi by taming the fox, picking it up and using it in the cave to grab my stuff

Man, I still didn’t get my stuff! I just realized that. Was there anything worthy?

Yeah - that’s the warrior’s path to rescuing the valkyrie, by killing the beast on the other side of the swamp. A few people have told me that once chapter 3 started. I’ve managed to chop down the tree to make a bridge, but the plant kills me halfway across. I’m guessing the mage and thief have different paths, (flame spell has got to come in handy to pass the flames[/spoiler]) so maybe they don’t need to go there?

Interesting! I wonder if the map is the same. For thrief the valkyrie is laying in the circle of fire in the upper right corner of the map, right next to the lake area. In order to get to her, I had to get a certain magical item and calm the element of fire down. Although, I wouldn’t call it a rescue. She isn’t going anywhere afterwards. I suppose I just woke her up to ask some questions.
I do have the swamp area on my map though, but there was nothing I could do.

Joined 2018-12-01

PM

DCast - 30 July 2020 10:00 PM

Man, I still didn’t get my stuff! I just realized that. Was there anything worthy?

No, I don’t think so. I have no idea why the norns wouldn’t let me into Svartelfheim without it. There was one item which was useful, but not there.

Interesting! I wonder if the map is the same. For thrief the valkyrie is laying in the circle of fire in the upper right corner of the map, right next to the lake area. In order to get to her, I had to get a certain magical item and calm the element of fire down. Although, I wouldn’t call it a rescue. She isn’t going anywhere afterwards. I suppose I just woke her up to ask some questions.
I do have the swamp area on my map though, but there was nothing I could do.

Yes, the valkyrie in my game is in the flame shield too (I think we all have the same map) but I can’t do anything with it. Apparently I need to defeat the swamp beast to “prove I am a true warrior” or something like that. So now I’m looking for protection from poison somewhere.

So yeah. There’s a lot of “proving” going on when you’re a fighter. Oh well it could be worse - I could be sneaking around stealing things!  Wink
(Although I did take those boots on the balcony, I wonder if there are consequences…)

Joined 2017-08-27

PM

Vehelon - 30 July 2020 10:34 PM

Yes, the valkyrie in my game is in the flame shield too (I think we all have the same map) but I can’t do anything with it. Apparently I need to defeat the swamp beast to “prove I am a true warrior” or something like that. So now I’m looking for protection from poison somewhere.

So yeah. There’s a lot of “proving” going on when you’re a fighter. Oh well it could be worse - I could be sneaking around stealing things!  Wink
(Although I did take those boots on the balcony, I wonder if there are consequences…)

Yes, one thing I’ve noticed - every hero gets to steal a little Grin

I’m absolutely amazed by the variety of events for every class in this FREE game! Do tell what kind of beast was it.

You know, I hear a lot of talk about the “honor” when it comes to this game, although it’s not an official stat or something the game is visually keeping track of. So the circumstances might just be there, where you least expect them.  Tongue

I wonder now if that thing that is stuck in a tree is only available to a fighter?

Total Posts: 2063

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Ok, so I had to start all over again because it turned out I lacked certain skill (Animal Ken, of course) to be able to craft pelts to keep me warm for a reasonable amount of time. While I chose it on my first playthrough many years ago, somehow I never realised it was meant to be used for this sort of things. In fact I remember other people also complaining that this particular skill was pretty useless in the first version of the game, maybe the devs extended it in later updates? Either way it’s impossible to play without this skill now - the Fire spell alone lasts only for like 1-2 seconds.

And since I wanted to remain a honorable person, I didn’t steal boots this time around, or anything else, and tried not to be rude to anyone. Of course, after reading the manual a bit I realised that lying is also a dishonorable thing to do, and it seems that under “lying” they also mean telling stories of how you defeated LeChuck with root beer and such to the sick warrior in his tower; at least that’s how he - rudely - described them to me, while I thought those were mere references made for fun. Ah well, this is not a big deal Smile

Speaking of references, my favourite so far is probably from Space Quest - that ordinance from SQ4 which you can randomly find in the Sigrun’s shop and wander around with it until you leave the town and explode. I didn’t actually return it to the shop since nobody cared and put it for safekeeping in the chest in my room, just in case.

I also started paying closer attention to fighting and money making from the first steps. Somehow I completely forgot about the dice game, and I managed to make around 100 coins in the first evening which helped a lot further on. I also found a hidden treasure with the help of the Sixth Sense spell and a shovel - there’s a suspicious area 2-3 screens down the town’s gate where the snow is of yellow-ish color, like some troll took a pee there, so I decided to investigate it and found 20 coins. It was a pleasant surprise since the game is not very rewarding in this regard - I always enjoyed finding gems and gold in stumps and nests in the original King’s/Quest for Glory games.

I think I managed to get all the spells and solve most of the quests on the original map, with the exception of that stupid sick knight and the quest to return my pack, although I know how to move the two-headed troll from my way and which spell I’m lacking; also can’t unfroze the frozen flowers despite I’m sure I dealt with them somehow during the first day as a thief, but this time even Heime refused to help me.

Currently exploring the caves of Svartalfheim - well, not so much exploring, but rather trying to figure out what I am supposed to be doing except for saving the boy and solving that painful sliding puzzle. I like the change in mood and the zany world a lot, but you really need time to get used to it. I also didn’t take any potions with me, so the combat is rather painful.

PC means personal computer

Joined 2018-01-11

PM

To be fair, I did try to knock on the door or find someone to talk to about the boots before I took them.  No one’s feet were in them, so I don’t see the problem. XD

But yeah, so in QFG games there is an honor stat, but I think in most of them you can see it on your character sheet.

Here I think you just have a hidden stat tallying different deeds.

The blacksmith seemed to imply that you would need a high honor stat to pull the sword from the tree

So I just now was able to go into the tower by the lake, and I see what you meant about “lying” answer choices.  They seem pretty funny actually, but I guess are “the wrong” thing to do.

My honor is probably in the toilet anyway. 

I stole a shovel, a vase, a key, boots, I’ve stolen everything that wasn’t nailed down basically.

So while I was at the tower by the lake, I asked about the valkyrie Brynhilde, and he made it sound like warriors could just walk on through the flames, but maybe you’re right, maybe you have to prove yourself somehow first.

I already woke her up.  It was stupid easy for mages.
Before when I had encountered her, I had tried to use the flame aura spell, to either control the flames or protect myself so I could walk through, but it didn’t work.  Now I used dispel, and it worked super easy!

Total Posts: 2063

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Wow, I’ve reached Chapter 4, and that was one hell of a ride! I’ll need some time to gather my thoughts and describe my adventures during Chapter 3. Chapter 2 though was a walk in the park - all you need to do is fight everything and everyone. The tile puzzle wasn’t much of a tile puzzle after all, although I ended with pretty much a working pipe system which connected all exits and had no loose ends. There are SO many things I completely forgot about this game, it really feels like discovering it for the first time.

Celebreon - 02 August 2020 11:41 PM

To be fair, I did try to knock on the door or find someone to talk to about the boots before I took them.  No one’s feet were in them, so I don’t see the problem. XD

I think you can show boots to their owner and he will take them back… coldly… So not sure if that restores your honour.

I already woke her up.  It was stupid easy for mages.
Before when I had encountered her, I had tried to use the flame aura spell, to either control the flames or protect myself so I could walk through, but it didn’t work.  Now I used dispel, and it worked super easy!

The flame spell gave me the biggest headache as you can never guess where and how it will work. And it also turned out you can “train” your spells, and the game not always tell you where you can use them until the stats for that particular spell are high enough. There is this one special puzzle which made no sense to me at all. And what’s worse, I actually remembered how I solved it as a thief. But as a sorceress I didn’t have the necessary item, so I almost lost hope (well, I did and looked in the walkthrough, because by that time I had lost all my patience solving the Liff-Lithrasir love quest which felt almost neverending! the first quest I received and the last I completed Smile). But rather than that it was an awesome chapter full of things to do. I’ll report later.

PC means personal computer

Joined 2018-12-01

PM

Doom - 05 August 2020 04:33 AM

lost all my patience solving the Liff-Lithrasir love quest

Heh, I told Liff that Lithrasir didn’t want his stinking flowers before I even asked her. So that quest was easy for me.

(I still stand behind my decision - I mean, the guy’s a herbalist and wants me to pick his flowers for him and give them to her? Who wants a guy like that?)

Joined 2018-01-11

PM

LOL I just want to get rid of Lithrasir so Snorri can be all mine!

I even got Snorri black-out drunk once, but my love remains unrequited.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top