• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

walas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Sequence of events in MI series??

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2020-07-25

PM

I just started playing Monkey Island 1 (I know, I know.. only just now) and since I’m now stuck in Part 2, starting to think I already tried out everything, I was wondering if this game (and by extension, the entire series) can require you to follow a specific sequence of actions/events in order to continue in the game. I can think of multiple games where you really had to pick up object X before moving to location Y, otherwise you would get stuck there, completely clueless, unless you load an earlier save-game to make up for your mistake.
Since Monkey Island is worshiped by many, I don’t think this is the case here, but please feel free to comment so at least I know I can continue my search at this very location10.0.0.0.1 192.168.1.254 happymod

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

What you’re talking about is what we call a “dead end”. You’re stuck in a place and you need an item to continue, but that item is in a location you can no longer get to, and you can now only go back to an earlier save.

The good news is: Monkey Island (and this goes for the entire series!) doesn’t have any dead ends whatsoever. You can’t die and you can’t get stuck!

You probably missed an item where you are, or haven’t figured out a puzzle yet. Keep at it! Thumbs Up

If you need a little nudge in the right direction, I heartily recommend the UHS hint system.
I’d point you to our very own walkthrough section here, but we haven’t got one for The Secret of Monkey Island… yet. Tongue
Anyway, UHS gives (increasingly detailed) gentle nudges instead of outright giving the solution, so it might just be what you’re looking for!

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

MI1 has no dead ends. Neither does any other MI game. You can also do things in any sequence you want, it’s a pretty well-designed game in almost every sense.

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

TimovieMan - 25 July 2020 05:13 AM

You can’t die…

You can, actually:

Laughing

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 38

Joined 2020-06-17

PM

Thread title sounded so promising Frown

I thought it had something to do with deeper story discussion and theories.

Especially the one where Guybrush is in fact trying to cope with parricide the whole time and escaping to Monkey Island delusion.

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

VoodooDerina - 25 July 2020 07:10 AM

Especially the one where Guybrush is in fact trying to cope with parricide the whole time and escaping to Monkey Island delusion.

I thought it has something to do with order of games, and if is it necessary to play them all in order from beginning.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 1341

Joined 2012-02-17

PM

I’d point you to our very own walkthrough section here, but we haven’t got one for The Secret of Monkey Island… yet.

Sure we do. In fact, there are five, one written, four video (listed under “S”).

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

diego - 25 July 2020 07:26 AM

I thought it has something to do with order of games, and if is it necessary to play them all in order from beginning.

I never figured out what happened between the end of MI2 and the beginning of MI3.

Total Posts: 330

Joined 2017-08-15

PM

VoodooDerina - 25 July 2020 07:10 AM

My theory is: 4, 1,5,3,2

The last four all happen in the Mysts o’ Tyme

Member of the NAALCB - (North American Anti- Lobster Cop Brigade) since 2019.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Jackal - 25 July 2020 08:20 AM

Sure we do. In fact, there are five, one written, four video (listed under “S”).

Silly me, I just went to check under “M” for “Monkey Island”, neglecting the proper titles of the games…

Still, if UHS has a walkthrough, I’ll take that over any and all others…  Innocent

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 26

Joined 2011-12-30

PM

you can’t get stuck!

Actually, you can.

Monkey Island 1:Before buying everything you need, give all your money to Otis or put all your money in the grog machine.

Monkey Island 2:Without ever acquiring the crazy straw and drinks from the Bloody Lip bar (needed in LeChuck’s fortress), buy some items from the Booty Island store, polish the peg leg several thousand times until you’ve almost got the money for Kate Capsize (there’s a cap), then go sell back the items in the Booty store (to bypass the cap) and go get the Mad Monkey figurehead.

Total Posts: 38

Joined 2020-06-17

PM

Laukku - 25 July 2020 09:52 AM

you can’t get stuck!

Actually, you can.

Monkey Island 1:Before buying everything you need, give all your money to Otis or put all your money in the grog machine.

Monkey Island 2:Without ever acquiring the crazy straw and drinks from the Bloody Lip bar (needed in LeChuck’s fortress), buy some items from the Booty Island store, polish the peg leg several thousand times until you’ve almost got the money for Kate Capsize (there’s a cap), then go sell back the items in the Booty store (to bypass the cap) and go get the Mad Monkey figurehead.

WOW!!!  Gasp

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Laukku - 25 July 2020 09:52 AM

you can’t get stuck!

Actually, you can.

Okay, so not completely free of dead ends, but it’s pretty improbable for anyone to actually get into one.

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

crabapple - 25 July 2020 08:20 AM

I never figured out what happened between the end of MI2 and the beginning of MI3.

Guybrush grew into piratey version of Goofy.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top