• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

CharophyceanchrissieKeybordz

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

What’s the worst AG and why?

Total Posts: 860

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

Celebreon - 07 March 2020 04:34 PM
GateKeeper - 06 March 2020 08:55 AM
Veovis - 06 March 2020 03:27 AM

I used to list adventure games in order of subjective quality after finishing them.

I do that too!
I also add some other information in the excel file, such as release dates and game engines so that it’s easy to find out “what’s the best game done with engine X according to my notes” and so on.

Can these notes become public, and or can they be translated to something like GOG lists?  I would love to know more about these!

Hey, thanks for expressing the interest. I actually have been planning on creating some kinds of lists about adventure games and related stuff, but have been wondering if it’s really worth the effort. So it’s good to know that there’s at least someone out there who would like to read that stuff.

If by GOG lists you mean GOG Mixes, they no longer exist, GOG removed them for good (without any warning) so that won’t be an option. Things like that also mean that I very seriously think where to create any content, as I don’t want to spend time on something that then gets deleted.

For that reason, if I upload any kind of content these days, it’s most likely on AdventureDoor, because I can be (fairly) certain that it doesn’t just vanish one day. The problem is, of course, that it takes time to create anything, and I have written some reviews and such, which I haven’t uploaded for months, in some worst case situations for years, even though they exist on my hard drive.
But, I will put that under serious consideration, now that I know that there is some interest for that kind of stuff. Check AdventureDoor every now and then to see if there’s some new content there (there was none in February, so there you go…).

Anyway, as it happens, I actually have uploaded my review of Bolt Riley some time ago, in case you, or someone else, is interested to read it.

http://www.adventuredoor.net/reviews/bolt-riley-reggae-adventure/

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

lakerz - 17 March 2020 01:57 AM

There have been plenty of adventure game stinkers over the years, but in my experience none of them hold a candle to ‘Who’s Fat Lou?’.  Horrible.

Fortunately nobody has ever heard of Who’s Fat Lou, except you, Zobraks, and me. Smile And some player whose video you can watch on youtube. My own worst stinker still is The Morlov Affair. Another terrible one nobody has heard of. One thing I’ll never understand is their use of FMV. Whenever someone unlocks a door you see a mini-clip of their hand putting a key in the lock, turning the key, and opening the door. Fascinating! Every single time. And there are lots of keys in this awful game.

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 4249

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

lakerz - 17 March 2020 01:57 AM

There have been plenty of adventure game stinkers over the years, but in my experience none of them hold a candle to ‘Who’s Fat Lou?’.  Horrible.

I disagree.
The gameplay is not so bad (although some puzzles are VERY frustrating) and the graphics is highly original and funny. It’s worth just looking at it.
Also the characters are hilarious and well worth the price of admission.

Karlok - 17 March 2020 12:22 PM

Fortunately nobody has ever heard of Who’s Fat Lou, except you, Zobraks, and me. :

I believe more people heard of it, but only one person (I know of) had finished it.
I may be the second if I manage to avoid the disasters of everyday living. Wink

Btw, my favo(u)rite for the worst AG I have played is (still) Midnight Nowhere a game with no spirit/soul (and story) of any kind. And don’t start me on its “humo(u)r,” brrrr….

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 860

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

Karlok - 17 March 2020 12:22 PM

One thing I’ll never understand is their use of FMV. Whenever someone unlocks a door you see a mini-clip of their hand putting a key in the lock, turning the key, and opening the door. Fascinating! Every single time.

That’s not uncommon in the first generation FMV games.
Not an adventure game, but one of the best comments I have heard about Wing Commander 3 is that you spend more time watching an elevator going up and down in the shaft than actually engaging enemies in space battles.

Maybe not 100% accurate, but not too far from the truth either, as the elevator FMV clip is shown every time you move to another location inside the spaceship.
At least the game had Mark Hamill, so it’s easy to forgive quite a lot of FMV annoyances just for that.

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

I don’t know much about other game genres, so I’ll take your word for it. But in my beloved adventure game scene the FMV of the Morlov Affair (1996!) is an anomaly. We had the digitized photographs in for instance Tex Murphy’s Means Street and Martian Memorandum. Talking heads in Dust, Myst, Titanic. Avatars in Wrath of the Gods, Sherlock Holmes, Toonstruck. Ghosts in The 7th Guest. We had Lost in Time. The Journeyman Project. All of them much more interesting than a hand unlocking a gate or door.

zobraks - 17 March 2020 12:51 PM

Btw, my favo(u)rite for the worst AG I have played is (still) Midnight Nowhere a game with no spirit/soul (and story) of any kind. And don’t start me on its “humo(u)r,” brrrr….

I avoided that one like the plague. Too bad I wasn’t smart enough to give The Blobjob (yes, that’s the correct spelling) also a wide berth.  In my top three of worst stinkers nobody (except lakerz) has played.

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 288

Joined 2003-09-16

PM

Zobraks - we will have to agree to disagree on the ‘quality’ of graphics & sound/voices of that game ha ha ha.  Who do you know who finished it?!?  How in heck did they complete that final challenge of creating the music beat vs Guapo?  I gave up in frustration after a dozen tries due to being forced to watch a crappy long cutscene every ... single ... time.

karlok - I did not think Blobjob was too horrible.  Bad yes though heh heh.

Another awful game is ‘Sacred Mirror of Kofun’

Total Posts: 4249

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

lakerz - 17 March 2020 05:57 PM

Zobraks - we will have to agree to disagree on the ‘quality’ of graphics & sound/voices of that game ha ha ha.

I’m fine with that.

Who do you know who finished it?!?

There’s a guy called Ggoran who posted a playthrough of Who’s Fat Lou? on YouTube.
Here’s a link.

How in heck did they complete that final challenge of creating the music beat vs Guapo?

I didn’t watch the playthrough -want to give the game another (decisive!) go- so I don’t know how.
I think I stopped playing when I bumped into that strange (exhibitionist) cat. Ten years ago!!!

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

I have found, the things people think of as “the worst” of anything, are those with elements that brought them close to being good but missed the mark in a very noticeable and jarring way. The true worst would be a game nobody played or cared enough to rant about.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

zane - 18 March 2020 10:14 AM

I have found, the things people think of as “the worst” of anything, are those with elements that brought them close to being good but missed the mark in a very noticeable and jarring way. The true worst would be a game nobody played or cared enough to rant about.

there is some truth in your saying, but remember that we adventure gamers are always having hard times when not finishing a game we started, at least let me I talk of meself, I never (1st of all) uninstall an adventure i lost interest in an when i install something new, i get to think of that one i am ignoring each time (maybe/almost) and however long i end up finishing it even if it is after 6-months-1-year, and that seriously something i did with me many adventures from the day i started playing adventures,

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top