• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

KeybordzLady Kestrel

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

What happened to comedy adventure games?

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I find the Book of Unwritten Tales 2 to be very funny, anyone else ever play it?

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 46

Joined 2020-01-20

PM

I think the issue is that not all pay for the games. If Gabriel Knight series and Broken Sword games had decent sales we’d have way more of them by now. I personally liked Vampyre Story a lot too but that’s never gonna continue now that their kickstarter campaign didn’t work out. It’s a sad time for AG’s in general.

Joined 2020-01-20

PM

rtrooney - 03 January 2020 06:41 PM
GateKeeper - 02 January 2020 07:48 AM

Take almost any old Sierra game, and they are loaded with references like that, which in many cases are unfortunately not tied to timeless pop culture, but that of their own time. And that makes it very difficult for younger or less experienced players to relate to.

Not only does humor often fail to accurately pass between people of different age groups, it also between people of different nationalities. Regardless of the quality of a translation, “it” whether it be a joke or a situation, may not “translate” well if the game player doesn’t have the cultural reference to understand it.

I don’t know if that applies today. I’m Finnish and I get all the references of American pop culture in such games. I think most do, since US dominates the entertainment industry globally. As for not having timeless jokes, I think it’s part of the charm. At least for me.

Jane Jensen touched homosexuality in a neutral way in GK2 and there were a few hints of it in GK3 too. That was during a time when being gay wasn’t OK in the eyes of gaming industry and certainly not in movie business.

Younger generation does not care about adventure games, they want to shoot at things or live in a virtual simulation. Life is Strange had success mainly for its lesbian interest and emo outlook in life. It’s really the nostalgia factor that drives most adventure games today.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I just finished The Book of Unwritten Tales and it was a long and Amazing game which is quite funny. It had at least 30 hours of game play also. I am looking fwd to playing it again. The first one is easily as good and long as the 2nd.

I actually think Broken Sword 5 is quite funny. We do have an Aggie for best comedy writing, so the genre must be doing as well as the others actually.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 5035

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Hannes084 - 22 January 2020 02:51 AM

I don’t know if that applies today. I’m Finnish and I get all the references of American pop culture in such games. I think most do, since US dominates the entertainment industry globally. As for not having timeless jokes, I think it’s part of the charm. At least for me.

Then I think you don’t get it. A good example would be the new LSL game. A good game, but the “humor” was not all that funny to many who purchased the game. Only because the humor was, to say the least, regional.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2020-01-20

PM

rtrooney - 22 January 2020 10:03 PM
Hannes084 - 22 January 2020 02:51 AM

Then I think you don’t get it. A good example would be the new LSL game. A good game, but the “humor” was not all that funny to many who purchased the game. Only because the humor was, to say the least, regional.

I do get it, I just don’t agree with everything you said.

LSL has always been a game series that divides opinions. Some hate it, some like the jokes. I’ve played one or two of them, but found it too silly for me. I think it’s a bad example.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top