• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

DalekanaifuKeybordz

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

[Archived] Time for a new community playthrough?

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Late to the party.  Shifty Eyed

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 5592

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Each round of voting is a new round.  If someone doesn’t state, by the end of the two weeks, that they want to lead a game, then it should be assumed he/she doesn’t want to do it.  It’s not a conspiracy, it’s just that I haven’t yet mastered the art of mind reading. 

Broken Sword will be the next CP.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

you didnt need to say that LK, you neednt to mock me to sound authoritative its not you, you ‘ve been always great spirit and good in judgment, i have been am already laid back enough and accepting the result of the votes before your post Smile

Total Posts: 5050

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Doom - 06 January 2020 09:28 AM

Lighthouse as it became clear it was out of lightkeeper long time ago.

Totally wrong conclusion! Lighthouse was simply not going to be lead by me.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 1260

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

That is correct. If someone who had played Lighthoue would have offered to lead, we would have a winner.

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

If what you are implying is true, that is that nobody other than myself, had ever played the game, I can see why finding another leader would be a problem. There’s another playthrough on the horizon. Which will give me plenty of time to think about options. And it will give others time to play the game, or, at least view some of it on YouTube.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

I still think the game leader doesn’t have to be the person who played the game, if all else fails. It is especially true in situations where the game is divided in chapters. Another solution for game leader who didn’t play the game, is to have one chapter advance over the rest of the players, meaning he/she should simply have a week or so of upper hand compared to the rest.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Can’t wait for Broken Sword, I’m interested in other people’s opinions on the game. I’m actually glad it won.

Hope we get a few newbies who have not played it. Heck, after this I’ll nominate BK2 and offer to lead it.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 2071

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

rtrooney - 06 January 2020 08:40 PM

Totally wrong conclusion! Lighthouse was simply not going to be lead by me.

At least to me it was clear that if you wouldn’t lead, nobody else would. It’s an obscure non-linear and hard game, I played about 2/3 of it long time ago and don’t have the slightest idea how to play it today, only few scattered memories. Quickly running through a long-forgotten or an unfamiliar game using a walkthrough or a Youtube playthrough just to offer tips to the others doesn’t exactly sound like a fun CPT.

PC means personal computer

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I would hardly call it obscure. It was released shortly after Shivers and just before Shivers 2. Not to equate this with Trump’s electoral college victory v. his popular loss by over 3M votes, but Lighthouse did win the popular vote. So I guess there was some expectation that someone other than me would step forward to lead the game. The fact that that did not happen is unfortunate.

ID has stated in his intro to the BS1 playthrough, that he is going to treat this in the same way as he did with the Shivers PT. And that’s the way a Lighthouse PT should be treated.

I feel as if I’ve let some people down. That is not what I intended.

We’ll see what happens after the current PT is completed.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 1260

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

I guess everybody expects you to lead Lighthouse CPT so let us know when you will be available for that and then we will vote for the game again. What do you think?

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Total Posts: 2071

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

rtrooney - 07 January 2020 10:11 PM

I would hardly call it obscure. It was released shortly after Shivers and just before Shivers 2. Not to equate this with Trump’s electoral college victory v. his popular loss by over 3M votes, but Lighthouse did win the popular vote. So I guess there was some expectation that someone other than me would step forward to lead the game. The fact that that did not happen is unfortunate.

Yet it was not the first time it had been nominated, unlike Trump who won on his first try (and I guess every American was familiar with him by that time) Smile And one should be also very familiar with the game to lead. To quote Andrew Plotkin’s review (I knew nothing about all those things btw),

You usually get several tries, and several alternate solutions, but you can get stuck if you try hard; you can die in exactly one place… almost immediately, the plot diverges from the norm of graphical adventure games. To be specific, it does diverge. You can leap through the after the evil being, or stay and explore the lighthouse. The plot works through slightly differently each way, but it does work through. If you fail to get your hands on a particular item, you can encounter it in two different places later on. Events can occur in different orders; you can learn things in different orders. There are several ways to get around, which is how a lot of this works; you can get back to a place if you missed something there. Sometimes the around-getting ways are one-way, but that’s ok, there are several of them. Multiple endings, as well, lest I forget. There are at least two satisfying solutions to the overall problem of the evil being… There are some number of less complete victories, each of which is a consistent outcome of a particular set of actions. The documentation says that there are sixteen possible ending… I can’t think of any other graphical game that puts this much work into alternate plotlines and possibilities.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

I am sorry LK if my last post was somehow, someway inappropriate, you are really doing a great job! holding this WILD thread by a thin needle.. i cant really complain about the effort and the spirit you but into it. cccheers

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Doom - 08 January 2020 05:00 PM

The documentation says that there are sixteen possible ending… I can’t think of any other graphical game that puts this much work into alternate plotlines and possibilities.

I’m not sure what to make of this statement. There is only one ending. If you do the permutations/combinations calculation there might be sixteen different ways to get to that ending, but there is only one ending. If you follow the keeper through the portal rather than create a portal in the lighthouse laboratory, that’s two of the sixteen. Do you choose the submarine path or the train path for your next exploration? That’s two more. So we’re at 2x2=4 now. The next divergent path takes you to eight, and the next one leaves you at 16.

Still, all puzzles must be completed/solved before the endgame.

Not terribly different nor more complex than any number of games created at the time. Including the granddaddy of them all MYST in which you can almost literally take on any puzzle, in any area, in any order. Sierra admitted that Lighthouse, as well as the two Shivers games were MYST clones.

If you didn’t like MYST, you probably won’t like playing Lighthouse regardless of who leads it.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 421

Joined 2007-08-13

PM

rtrooney - 08 January 2020 06:33 PM

If you didn’t like MYST, you probably won’t like playing Lighthouse regardless of who leads it.

I’m not a big fan of Myst, so Lighthouse hasn’t seemed that interesting to me. The current top review on GOG does however make me think that the game might be worth a try after all:

[...] It is similar to Myst in its first person view, navigation system and some visual elements, but the similarity ends where the actual game starts. If a Myst is a nonsensical assembly of switches and buttons you must press and something happens somewhere (I never managed to finish it), Lighthouse is a proper point and click adventure, with dialogues, puzzles and great (for its time) SVGA graphics. [...]

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top