• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Your favorite horror adventure games you played in 2019

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Ok, what were the favorite horror games you played in 2019? Some of the favorites I have are the Simulacra games. I just love the Simulacra Games. Both 1 and 2. FIA, Simulacra 2 got terrible reviews. But I loved it anyway.

Obviously I thought Oxenfree was fabulous too.

I did replay Kathy Rain in 2019, it is still one of the best adventure games of all time.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Does anyone know when you can replay a CPT? I’d love to play Kathy Rain again in a CPT.

Lastly, could a CPT of any of the lost phone games like Simulatra actually work.

Heart 

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Another fun horror game I played in 2019 was Death Mark.  I played it on the PS4. It is a typical Japanese game with what can at best be called a strange plot line - but the puzzles were different and I also enjoyed the visual novel type graphics.

Heart

Total Posts: 505

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

Not much horror for me unfortunately.Smile A replay of Dead Secret and a few hours of its sequel Dead Secret: Circle is all I think. Unless you label games like The Painscreek Killings as horror. I don’t, but I would probably not label Kathy Rain as horror either. More in the mystery/thriller category in my view.

Oh, I may have played Detention in 2019 too. I’d label that as horror. A great game either way.

And the Walking sim The Town of Light is probably meant to be horror as well. I didn’t enjoy it much though.

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Thanks for the tip on Detention. The game has many 10/10 reviews and is MY kind of game. I was looking for something to play after playing OXENFREE and Simulacra 2 twice.

Kinda reminds me of The Cat Lady…................

I’m gunna LOVE this game…..............

Horror adventure games are my fave….........genre period.

Anyone else like them or have a favorite, or have thoughts on Detention you would like to share?

Heart

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

I’ll have to go with Gibbous and Soma in this case. Though I must admit, that while Soma is more serious horror game, I didn’t find it that scary. It’s a decent game though.

In general, I’m often more disappointed by horror games. I had great expectations from Observer but I didn’t really like the script or the gameplay.

Total Posts: 355

Joined 2017-03-09

PM

My picks would be:
The Cat Lady
Dream Machine
Stories Untold
SOMA

I’m not sure I could pick a favorite. I’m neither into teen scarefests nor Lovecraftian horror so while I liked the gameplay and style of games like Oxenfree and The Room series they weren’t favorites of mine, or ones I will replay.

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I also loved The Cat Lady. That game caught me by surprise, much more brutal and gory than I expected. Another excellent yet very strange horror adventure is Fran Bow.

FYI - Detention got a 4.5 review on this site and a Silver Aggie.

The highest rated horror adventure game on this site is Amnesia: The Dark Descent. Supposed to be the best horror adventure game ever.

Heart

Total Posts: 1167

Joined 2013-02-12

PM

I’m not sure I’d quite call it horror, but one of the games I enjoyed most in 2019 was about a Haunted Island.

Total Posts: 355

Joined 2017-03-09

PM

Phlebas - 08 January 2020 05:33 AM

I’m not sure I’d quite call it horror, but one of the games I enjoyed most in 2019 was about a Haunted Island.

Frog Detective?  Wink

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

That’s what I got: THE HAUNTED ISLAND: a Frog Detective Game.

Is it any good?

Heart

Total Posts: 1167

Joined 2013-02-12

PM

It’s probably not the game to play if you’re after a challenge, but I think it was my favourite game I played last year. (Caveat: I did not play many games last year. But this one was genuinely lovely.)

Total Posts: 1341

Joined 2012-02-17

PM

Mikekelly - 03 January 2020 06:48 AM

Another fun horror game I played in 2019 was Death Mark.  I played it on the PS4. It is a typical Japanese game with what can at best be called a strange plot line - but the puzzles were different and I also enjoyed the visual novel type graphics.

Heart

You know there’s a sequel to Death Mark, right?

Total Posts: 59

Joined 2018-01-09

PM

Mikekelly - 07 January 2020 07:21 PM

The highest rated horror adventure game on this site is Amnesia: The Dark Descent. Supposed to be the best horror adventure game ever.

Soma is better.  The story twists of Amnesia didn’t really get me like Soma’s did.  But I guess horror is a very personal thing.  Like comedy.

Soma is a unique kind of existential horror that is particularly effective if you’re the sort of person who reads a lot of sci-fi and wonders about “What am I? What makes me ...me?” and “Is there such thing as a soul?”  It’s a game that forces you to confront a lot of philosophical and moral questions about the difference between human and non-human, and doesn’t really give you the answers to any of those questions.  You’re left to draw your own terrifying conclusions. 

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Yes, I will be playing Spirit Hunter: NG this year, I have a few games ahead of it.

Soma looks great, I will be looking into this game. Looks like a great horror game.

Heart

Total Posts: 645

Joined 2017-08-27

PM

Agreed on Death Mark.

I’m one of the very few people (apparently) who didn’t like Oxenfree. Lots of walking, talking and teenage angst.. But it seems to me that overwhelming majority seem to really like it. It has sort of a “cult following” now Smile I personally wouldn’t label it as horror though. I’m waiting, however, for “Afterparty” - next Night School Studio game. It looks very interesting, but seems to be going to Epic first.

I enjoyed “Now You See” hand-painted horror point’n'click. Maybe a bit too expensive at a reg $15 point because it’s very short, but on sale - very decent game with hillbilly/“Wrong Turn” vibe.

I liked “Cursed Roots” a lot - another indie horror P’N'C, retro-inspired. Although, it’s more of a campy horror than actual chills. Also, lots of permadeath Smile

Replayed both - “Fran Bow” and “Limbo” and both are absolutely excellent!

“The Place for Unwilling” isn’t strictly horror, but it’s built on Lovecraft mythos and managed to invoke that foreboding feeling of despair through its story-lines in me.

Tried “Charnel House Trilogy” and it was quite captivating “dark thriller” narrative experience that can be, in a way, qualified for this topic. I enjoyed it.

“The Terrible Old Man” freebie from Cloak and Dagger was 15 minutes of cool horror vibes

“Forgotten Hill:Mementoes” was alright, I’ll only recommend if you’re a puzzle lover. Very strong Rusty Lake influence here.

The last one I just finished was “The Cult: Marduk’s Longest Night”, an interesting sinister cult and dangerous deities-themed point’n'click. I think it’s a first part of the series. Nice set-up with all the bleak, dark “I’m against the entire cult, but I can call cool demons and talk to them” adventuring, somewhat noir-ish.

Still haven’t tried Simulacra, but I’d participate in CPT if there was one.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top