• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

IronCretinJdawg445Lady KestrelTimovieManwalas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

The games of 2019

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Little Misfortune sounds like a great game, I’ll have to play this one soon, I also loved FB.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 190

Joined 2010-09-01

PM

I’m glad to hear others enjoyed Hypnospace Outlaw too! It’s definitely still got my vote for GOTY. Over the last month there’s seems to have been quite a few new highly reviewed games on the site. The ones that look the most promising to me are Jenny LeClue and Little Misfortune, but I’m worried that I might find them too simplistic.

I’ve now finished up Episode 4 of Life is Strange 2, so just one more episode left. I don’t think my view of the game is as strong now as it was when I posted last month. I still like the characters and setting, but I’m less confident it is going to stick the landing. I will reserve final judgment for after I finish Episode 5.

I have started playing Return of the Obra Dinn now that it is on Switch. I’m still going through memories and collecting evidence so the game hasn’t really picked up yet, but after all the praise it received last year, I’m worried it won’t live up to my expectations.

In other news, a game I was looking forward to has a release date for next month: Feria d’Arles Steam page . It looks like it will be a fun short game and I like the pixel art. I guess the big game coming out next month is Blacksad, but it’s Microids so I will definitely be waiting for a few reviews, before getting too excited about it.

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

TheLongestJourney - 24 October 2019 02:17 AM

Over the last month there’s seems to have been quite a few new highly reviewed games on the site.

Yes, and I’m surprised at quite a few of those high scores. It may be just me and my preferences, I know, but imo the ones I played don’t deserve 4 or even 4.5 stars. Like Chook and Sosiq, Zed, Heaven’s Vault and Pilgrims.

I have started playing Return of the Obra Dinn now that it is on Switch. I’m still going through memories and collecting evidence so the game hasn’t really picked up yet, but after all the praise it received last year, I’m worried it won’t live up to my expectations.

I’m afraid the game doesn’t “pick up” at some point, so it probably won’t live up to your expectations. Going through memories, identifying people, solving deaths, and understanding the story is all there is to it. (I loved it) 

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Played Jenny LeClue for about 90 minutes. Another one that got 4.5 stars from the AG reviewer. I honestly don’t get it: “moving tale” an “engaging heroine”, even a “deep and memorable character”?? It’s like they’re describing a totally different game. Ninety minutres was long enough for me, I uninstalled this unfunny *casual game* with the awkward controls.

Total Posts: 111

Joined 2006-12-29

PM

Huh, guess it’s not for everyone. Finished Jenny LeClue myself recently and I loved it. As a character Jenny is reckless, smug and often abrasive, but between her charm and the things she has to suffer through you’re still rooting for her. The overall mysteries are also well-crafted and the visuals and music are great. I can see the deductions being too easy to brute-force and controls perhaps being bad for people without a gamepad, but overall this is potential game of the year material to me.

The golden age of mathematics - that was not the age of Euclid, it is ours. -Cassius Jackson Keyser

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Really? Hm. I’ll put Jenny on the backlog pile, so she might get another chance one day.

Total Posts: 111

Joined 2006-12-29

PM

If you hadn’t gotten to the end of the library section yet, definitely give it another shot at some point and go at least that far. That’s where the tone shifts and the writing gets into gear. I assure you “the missing papers” and “the lost glasses” are not representative of the main game beyond explaining base gameplay elements.
(If you did get significantly beyond the library section and still didn’t like it, the writing style may just not work for you.)

The golden age of mathematics - that was not the age of Euclid, it is ours. -Cassius Jackson Keyser

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Good to know. I did hate the glasses and papers parts. Stopped after that. I’ll reinstall the game and see if it gets better. But games should be interesting from the start imo, I don’t want to spend over an hour on tutorials.

Joined 2010-09-01

PM

Karlok - 24 October 2019 08:34 AM
TheLongestJourney - 24 October 2019 02:17 AM

Over the last month there’s seems to have been quite a few new highly reviewed games on the site.

Yes, and I’m surprised at quite a few of those high scores. It may be just me and my preferences, I know, but imo the ones I played don’t deserve 4 or even 4.5 stars. Like Chook and Sosiq, Zed, Heaven’s Vault and Pilgrims.

I’m afraid the game doesn’t “pick up” at some point, so it probably won’t live up to your expectations. Going through memories, identifying people, solving deaths, and understanding the story is all there is to it. (I loved it) 

Have made a lot of progress in Return of the Obra Dinn. I didn’t understand that you could zoom at first which after figuring that out has helped a lot. I now understand why it received such acclaim last year, since it is satisfying the puzzle solving part of my brain that most of the other adventure games this year have failed to do.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

TheLongestJourney - 31 October 2019 10:33 AM

Have made a lot of progress in Return of the Obra Dinn. I didn’t understand that you could zoom at first which after figuring that out has helped a lot. I now understand why it received such acclaim last year, since it is satisfying the puzzle solving part of my brain that most of the other adventure games this year have failed to do.

And getting a set of three correct is so very satisfying.  Cool

Joined 2010-09-01

PM

Karlok - 01 November 2019 08:12 AM
TheLongestJourney - 31 October 2019 10:33 AM

And getting a set of three correct is so very satisfying.  Cool

Finished the game tonight, the gameplay loop is so satisfying and when you get three fates right the feeling is so rewarding. The only bad thing is that I’m worried I’ll be waiting awhile before I find another adventure game with such rewarding puzzles.

Total Posts: 416

Joined 2018-03-07

PM

Loved Jenny LeClue, one of my favorite games of the year overall. Really hope I don’t need to wait another 5 years to get that cliffhanger resolved, though.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Harald B - 29 October 2019 01:10 PM

If you hadn’t gotten to the end of the library section yet, definitely give it another shot at some point and go at least that far. That’s where the tone shifts and the writing gets into gear. I assure you “the missing papers” and “the lost glasses” are not representative of the main game beyond explaining base gameplay elements.
(If you did get significantly beyond the library section and still didn’t like it, the writing style may just not work for you.)

You were right! It’s a cool game once you get to the murder part. Have been at it for many hours, it’s quite long too. But I still think there are too many casual aspects (those stickers, bleh), repeating puzzles, and the keyboard controls suck.

Total Posts: 259

Joined 2017-05-18

PM

When can I get my hands on Blacksad? Hope it’s still coming today…

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

You’ll have to wait till 14 November. According to Steam.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top