• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Becky

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Scariest Adventure Games

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Happy Halloween. Please list your favorite scary horror adventure games.

Mine:

Fran Bow

The Cat Lady

Simulacra

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 505

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

I’m a sucker for horror themed games (and movies), but “pure” adventure games rarely manage to really scare me. The best example of a game that works would be Dark Fall (the first in the series). And maybe Inherent Evil, although I played that one a long time ago. Amber: Journeys Beyond is another one that manages to create tension without throwing ghosts or monsters at you.

There are quite a few other horror themed adventures that I’ve enjoyed, but that haven’t really scared me. Barrow Hill and Scratches come to mind. Played a game called Dead Circle a few months back, and it was pretty ok and rather scary. An adventure game at its core, but it resorts to run-and-hide scenes to create most of the tension.

The scariest games I’ve ever played are probably Project Zero 1 & 2 (Fatal Frame in the US), some of the Resident Evils and Silent Hill games. Actually, if you set the puzzle difficulty to high and the action difficulty to low in Silent Hill 2 you get one of the best and most scary adventure games ever created.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

In terms of pants-shittingly scary, I’d go for Amnesia: The Dark Descent.

That game’s so insanely scary that I just can’t play it without being reduced to a whimpering mess…

In terms of games I can actually play, I’d like to mention STASIS, since that has a couple of really good jump-scares, and a chilling atmosphere, coupled with several “eww, what is that?” moments.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 1353

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

IHNMAIMS is fucking terrifying. The whole set up and plot for the game is one of the worst nightmares I could imagine.

Total Posts: 1167

Joined 2013-02-12

PM

I still haven’t played Amnesia but the creators certainly have form - I found Penumbra one (or three, I suppose) of the tensest, scariest games I’ve played. The way the stealth mechanic keeps you looking away from the monsters is so effective!

Total Posts: 2060

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

The scariest game I’ve ever played was Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth. It is action/adventure, but it was made by seasoned adventure devs (of Simon the Sorcerer fame), and it shows - plot-driven, with plenty of exploration on the way, shooting is rare and clumsy. And the game is damn terrifying. Amnesia was great, but after Dark Corners it felt like a fan tribute - many similar moments, only they are less effective.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

IHNMAIMS, The Cat Lady, The Blackstone Chronicles have all kinds of emotional effects on me, but they don’t scare me. I’m a sucker for jumpscares in 1st-person games. Like the classic ones in Stories Untold. I’d almost forgotten I played Simulacra last year, with its remarkable sound effects. I always play with headphones on and some noises made me jump because they seemed to come from behind me. Doesn’t happen often that I confuse game sounds with RL sounds.

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 860

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

It’s not at all scary, as it’s a comedy, but Alien Incident is a very good game that takes place around Halloween.

One of the most underrated games in the genre, but that’s what you get for releasing it in 1996…

As for the scariest game otherwise, I’m not sure… Black Sails is kind of creepy in the end and has some attempts to scare players during the gameplay too.

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Could Return of the Obra Dinn be considered a scary game? It had its moments for me.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 5034

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Scratches Directors Cut

Shivers for the few unexpected jump scares

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 5568

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Both Amber: Journeys Beyond and Scratches kept me tense as I played them.  I also remember a panicked moment when I made a mistake in setting the compass in the middle of the stone ship in Myst.  The lights went out, and I thought I wasn’t going to be able to escape the ship before the water came in.

Carpe chocolate.

Total Posts: 282

Joined 2017-04-14

PM

I get scared playing Nancy Drew games so I’m not really the best-suited person for this thread Grin

I wouldn’t call the Cat Lady scary, more horrific, and definitely emotionally wrecking.

Rusty Lake games, despite being far on the psychological horror side of the fence, have their jump scares and panick-inducing moments. That’s what I like the least about them Grin

One of the games that scared (and unsettled) me the most is a free game called Dreaming Mary. It start as an overly cute adventure, but if you play it one of the ways it is intended to be, it becomes excruciatingly grim and there’s a blood-curling chase sequence somewhere down the path. I would highly recommend it but would never play it again myself.

Total Posts: 310

Joined 2018-12-01

PM

Dark Seed with its Giger-esque artwork and trip into nightmare worlds of darkness really got to me. The way the plot unfolded and the unstoppable descent into insanity was really creepy.

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I loved Dark Seed, played it on the old Amiga computer. It was amazing. I do have Dark Seed 2 on the PC.

Wouldn’t a CPT of Dark Seed be great….......Dark Seed is one dark and creepy game.

Heart

Total Posts: 645

Joined 2017-08-27

PM

I think The Cat Lady had its moments - in Gladys’ house, for example, it had me in a very tensed state…

Rusty Lakes games are good “creepy with occasional slide into scary” games, yes.

Neverending Nightmares were pretty unsettling, although it’s not a game for everyone. It’s very artistic, and I’m not much for games that are more art than games, but it had good atmosphere.

I’m currently replaying Fran Bow, and it is still surprisingly dark and chilling with quite a few jump-scare moments.

I agree that pure adventures are rarely “terrifying”, more so “ominous and creepy” but I prefer my horror this way to be honest.

Dark Corners of the Earth has what I think might be the most intense sequence in games ever - when they try to break into hotel. That was just CRAZY and very enjoyable Smile

Another game I want to give honorary mention because it had my heart beat very fast in a quite a few scenes is Inside. When you are being chased by dogs there, for example, AND you get caught - I think I was biting my lips, then nails, then back to lips and was just very anxious about my little guy… It’s a FANTASTIC adventure/platformer/puzzle, I highly recommend it.

And, of course there are Outlast games. Also action/adventure, but since you can’t fight in them, I’d count them. They are terrifying.

Thanks everyone for mentioning games that aren’t as popular - I’m checking every mention out, as horror adventure is one of my favorite genres.

Edit: +1 to Silent Hill games!

Total Posts: 645

Joined 2017-08-27

PM

NickyLarson - 03 November 2019 01:45 PM

I get scared playing Nancy Drew games so I’m not really the best-suited person for this thread Grin

I think that Curse of Blakmoor Manor was pretty freaky to be honest. It was a looong time ago I played it, but I still remember it

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top