• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: Home β†’ Forum Home β†’ Gaming β†’ Adventure β†’ Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissieIronCretinrtrooneywalas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Gibbous - A Cthulhu Adventure - Out on Steam and GOG

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

minhta - 18 August 2019 04:27 AM
Advie - 10 August 2019 11:37 AM
minhta - 09 August 2019 04:26 PM
Advie - 08 August 2019 01:29 PM

Check Joe Keeley previous reviews and you will understand how stingy he is with his rating; 3 stars could easily had gone four with someone else. i am sorry, but that is true.

Your post made me curious so I did what you suggested. In his 10 previous scored reviews, Joe Keeley gave out 4 four-star reviews and only 2 three-star reviews (not counting Gibbous). The rest are 3.5 stars.

To be fair, I don’t really see how that constitutes a “stingy” track record.

All of them could have easily went at least half a star up.

cheers, but our site had given the lowest rating all over the net, you might wanna check this too, or not.

I wasn’t really looking to get into a debate about review scores in general. But I can think of a dozen counter-points to your argument that such and such scores “could have easily been” this or that. But I think the best answer to that is “of course, so what?”

Unless you can point to actual flaws to the review that can be discussed, saying such general things about subjective opinions and critiques is futile.

More broadly, if you check out this link on Metacritic (https://www.metacritic.com/publication/adventure-gamers), it says that Adventure Gamers scores games on average 7.6 points lower than all other publications—giving out an average score of 6.6/10.

The fact is, it’s easy to point to a reviewer, or indeed an entire publication, and say they are too stingy or too generous. There could be many legitimate reasons for that (in this case the game genre is probably the biggest contributor).

But at this point, you’re not talking about Gibbous, which is the topic at hand. To me, the game looks great, and I’d love to play it. Keeley’s review is a well-written piece. His, and AG’s review record, is a different topic.

I wish i can discuss the review in a more practical way, but i cant, at least now.

To be honest (in general) the site is always generous with it’s review ratings (at least for a while now) but i wasn’t talking generally about AGers. to be clear.

Total Posts: 35

Joined 2004-01-17

PM

Beat this the other day and loved it. Thought the writing was universally witty, and agree with an earlier post that the lines mentioned in AG’s review are fun exaggerations of noir detective speech.

It does help to be familiar with HP Lovecraft, though. Much easier to follow the various cults and lore, and get references like Kerwan/Corvinus, which is from the “Case of Charles Dexter Ward.” Hope they can make a sequel exploring that and other unanswered questions.

My only complaints are that initially I couldn’t stand Buzz’s voice. But he did grown on me by the end. And that sometimes the game showed its budget in the cutscenes, or lack thereof. There are moments where it just fades to the next scene, and not having some sort of animation there is really jarring. Example, when Peace ties up Buzz in the Castle.

But really great game overall. Took me 12 hours to complete, which is a good length, and the puzzles got pretty clever in the later half. Loved the “moment to moment humor, darker arching plot” that actually delved pretty deeply into Lovecraft mythology.

Total Posts: 282

Joined 2017-04-14

PM

There’s a lovely mini-review of Gibbous at Polygon that John Walker somehow managed to smuggle out of his RPS prison cell.

The game is very high on my next-to-play list Smile

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

NickyLarson - 21 August 2019 08:48 AM

There’s a lovely mini-reviewJohn Walker somehow managed to smuggle out of his RPS prison cell.

.. even if its a mini review he obviously praising it; “good enough that I think it could have stood its ground in that [golden Era] era, and it’s a pleasure to have it today.” Said the cantankerous one. Laughing

Total Posts: 61

Joined 2015-07-23

PM

I agree with the review that one of the protagonists has grating voice acting, but I think it’s Ketype. (Also has - a grating name)

Total Posts: 1782

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

namehaver - 04 September 2019 06:49 PM

Ketype. (Also has - a grating name)

But that’s the joke there, isn’t it.
Break the name down into two parts. Take out the middle initial and you have Donkey Type and, for the second, remove the Forename (Don) and you get Archetype both of which are jokes about the character, both within the game and private detectives in general in all forms of literature.

Life is what it is.

Total Posts: 505

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

I would think most people get the namejoke. Another question is if it’s a fun one. I think not, but humor is of course a personal thing. I think the voice of Ketype was great though. After the intro and the first few moments controlling him I thought I was about to play a five star game. The game and especially its attempts at humor didn’t work nearly as well when controlling the other character (forgot his name).

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

For me the voice of Ketype had more than a hint of Clint Eastwood about it which I found very amusing.  Laughing

Total Posts: 61

Joined 2015-07-23

PM

Jabod - 05 September 2019 05:10 AM

But that’s the joke there, isn’t it.
Break the name down into two parts. Take out the middle initial and you have Donkey Type and, for the second, remove the Forename (Don) and you get Archetype both of which are jokes about the character, both within the game and private detectives in general in all forms of literature.

It’s groan-inducing as it is if the name was attached to a minor character. But to a main character? It’s just too much.

Same with his voice.

Total Posts: 1239

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

I guess we’ll never agree, but Ketype voice is the second best in the game after Kitteh, of course.

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

walas74 - 05 September 2019 05:32 PM

I guess we’ll never agree, but Ketype voice is the second best in the game after Kitteh, of course.

Kitteh - excellent character!  Thumbs Up

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

I am replaying using Arabic subtitles and its for my knowledge the first game Ever i play with it, and to my surprise its so accurate , i doubt it was made by anything but professionals translators, may i ask who had done this Arabic part?

Total Posts: 601

Joined 2014-11-29

PM

Hey y’all, just a quick heads up: Gibbous is now 20% off on both Steam and GOG.
Happy holidays!

Joined 2014-11-29

PM

We are super humbled and honored to walk away with 7 Aggies, 6 of which are Readers’ Choices. Thank you so much for sticking with us from day 1!

Joined 2014-11-29

PM

Thanks for playing everyone, giveaway is now over. Congrats to the lucky ones who’ve managed to snatch a code πŸ™‚

Hey guys, it’s Liviu aka Mr Underhill; used to be pretty active around here before I started making video games and not having time for anything else 😁

Anyway, this forum is pretty special to me and my studio since this is where we first revealed Gibbous - A Cthulhu Adventure 6 (!) years ago, in this thread. This community has always been supportive, and a lot of you guys backed us on Kickstarter or bought the game on Steam / GOG, for which we’re very grateful.

I wanted to do a key giveaway here, except it’s always dangerous to post complete keys in text form since bots sometimes grab them instantly… So I thought, why not gamify it?

So here’s how we’ do it, PLEASE READ FIRST: I’ll post all the 5 keys minus the very last digit,  then post the last digits separately, but in the wrong order. You guys will have to try your luck to match the correct final digit to the key πŸ™‚

KEYS, MINUS FINAL DIGIT:

69X9N-HR8LV-JC58? (E: this one’s taken)
J9GVH-J28HM-HNYN? (E: taken, too)
6X63P-EDIRI-Y3RE? (E: taken, too)
4FETQ-8Y4GG-3EXJ? (E: taken, too)
MW9KW-7KDD3-3NYA? (E: all taken!)

FINAL DIGITS IN INCORRECT ORDER:

P
C
F
G

WORD OF WARNING: I haven’t had this happen, but apparently if you try to enter too many wrong keys Steam will give you a cooldown time before you can do it again, so maybe wait a bit before trying again.

And one final request: Please let everyone know by replying here if you managed to snatch a key, and which one of the 5 it was.

Best of luck, hope this will be fun for all!

PS: If you’re unfamiliar with the game, here’s a link to it.

You are here: Home β†’ Forum Home β†’ Gaming β†’ Adventure β†’ Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top