• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Gabrielrtrooney

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Telling Lies

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

I feel a new Sam Barlow game deserves a thread of its own, like Her Story had one, but that was a couple of years ago. So I’m hoping other people will also want to talk about Telling Lies, which got released yesterday.

I was sure I would enjoy this game and I do. Intriguing plot, great acting and many different characters whose names you gradually discover. I’m still playing, it’s quite a long game. But I have one gripe and it’s an important one. You search a database for video clips by entering words, just like in Her Story. When you click on clips they start at the point where someone uses that particular word or word combination. So if I want to watch the entire clip - AND OF COURSE I DO! - I have to rewind to the beginning. Irritating as hell and time-consuming, even more so because quite a few clips are 5 or 6 minutes long and you have to hold the mouse button down for at least a minute while staring into space. Immersion gone. I don’t get it, why not simply add an extra button to speed up things and restart clips immediately or within a few seconds. Bad design decision.

Even so, I like the game. Smile

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 1075

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

Busywork.

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Total Posts: 1782

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

Gabe - 24 August 2019 10:08 AM

Busywork.

Yes and no. Certainly it would fill out time as per Karlok’s description (I haven’t bought the game yet but almost certainly will) but it’s also how a database search would happen in real life. No search function could guess that you’d want to start from a place other than which it’s found the answer to your query. It would have to go to what it has been asked to search for. However, given the information supplied by Karlok, it would be a nice feature if you could go to the start of the item where the search found said item. That is, most certainly, a straightforward database function.
Game does sound intriguing.

Life is what it is.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Jabod - 24 August 2019 12:42 PM

Yes and no. Certainly it would fill out time as per Karlok’s description (I haven’t bought the game yet but almost certainly will) but it’s also how a database search would happen in real life. No search function could guess that you’d want to start from a place other than which it’s found the answer to your query. It would have to go to what it has been asked to search for. However, given the information supplied by Karlok, it would be a nice feature if you could go to the start of the item where the search found said item. That is, most certainly, a straightforward database function.
Game does sound intriguing.

Yes, the entire “rewinding” like a tapedeck is ridiculous. The game is set in 2017/18. If I’m in the middle of a youtube clip I don’t have to press and hold anything, I just move a slider and one second later I’m at the beginning. I’m not the only one complaining, it’s a major annoyance in the Steam forums. No response from the developers but a technical player has already managed to come up with a solution and apparently it works fine.

At first the game also worked fine, apart from a very buggy notepad which I gave a wide berth. But after two days I got a BLACK SCREEN whenever I started the game. Totally unplayable. Couldn’t even get out of it with Escape. Dozens and dozens and dozens of players reported the BLACK SCREEN, but no reponse from Sam Barlow c.s. It’s been almost a week now and not even a post that they are aware of the problem and are working on it. That really pisses me off.

My advice to anybody who wants to buy Telling Lies: Don’t. Wait until they’ve solved the BLACK SCREEN and other annoying bugs. 

EDIT: Sam Barlow c.s. finally showed up in the Steam forums. So I’ll change my advice to wait.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Karlok - 01 September 2019 07:14 PM

no reponse from Sam Barlow c.s.

Well, at least I learned a new Latin abbreviation today. “Cum suis” - “and associates”. Cool

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 1341

Joined 2012-02-17

PM

Karlok - 01 September 2019 07:14 PM

Yes, the entire “rewinding” like a tapedeck is ridiculous. The game is set in 2017/18. If I’m in the middle of a youtube clip I don’t have to press and hold anything, I just move a slider and one second later I’m at the beginning. I’m not the only one complaining, it’s a major annoyance in the Steam forums. No response from the developers but a technical player has already managed to come up with a solution and apparently it works fine.

What I got from Ingmar’s big interview with Barlow, it seems like he felt players would be interested in seeing a conversation rewind, perhaps creating intrigue in what’s being said before actually hearing it play out. It seems that for many people he was wrong. Tongue

On the plus side, an auto-rewind should be a very simple thing to implement, so I’d be highly surprised if one wasn’t added at some point. (An official one, I mean.)

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I just got it on IOS. Yea, having to rewind everything sucks. I would have given it 3.5 stars too. Great game, hope it gets a patch to fix everything.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Jackal - 01 September 2019 08:24 PM

What I got from Ingmar’s big interview with Barlow, it seems like he felt players would be interested in seeing a conversation rewind, perhaps creating intrigue in what’s being said before actually hearing it play out. It seems that for many people he was wrong. Tongue

I don’t understand Barlow’s reasoning. Some clips have interesting revelations or shocking moments. Why would I want to know in advance what’s going to happen? That kills my immersion. So I took care NOT to look at the subtitles flashing by.

I’ve read the interview and found some of the things he said about developing his games surprising. I can’t help thinking that he has a hard time putting himself in the player’s shoes.

PS: I estimate that players who want to watch every clip will have to sit through at least one hour of rewinding.

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Oh, I am well into the game now and I am rewinding constantly. For now I am book marking right after I rewind them. Great game overall, I love the characters.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Mikekelly - 06 September 2019 03:17 PM

Oh, I am well into the game now and I am rewinding constantly. For now I am book marking right after I rewind them.

So you rated the game 3.5 stars even before you were well into it…?

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

So you rated the game 3.5 stars even before you were well into it…?

I was surprised the game was rated so low. Her Story had a higher rating. But after playing the game I sadly had to agree with the 3.5 rating and I thought the review of the game on this site was completely accurate.

I now have many hours in the game and my opinion of the game is still the same, a good game that really needs a patch.

Heart

Total Posts: 92

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

You’re not supposed to rewind each and every video right to the beginning and then watch it conventionally. 99% of the videos are one-sided conversations with huge patches of silence. The reason it’s a game rather than a movie is that you’re dropped into the middle of these videos with no context other than the keyword and you then have to rewind and fast forward through them to try and understand how the video fits into the timeline of the story and if it contains any hints to find the next big revelation.

I love how much bigger the scope of Telling Lies is compared to Her Story and how entertaining it is. This is much more of a thriller than an intimate character study and it’s a lot of fun seeing these characters cross paths and all of the twists that happen as a result. I was surprised at how quickly the action ratchets up.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top