• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

TheTMD

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Is innovation the death of the genre?

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Grue22 - 07 July 2019 07:22 PM

te]

Yes, that is a good comparison. It is strange that we view graphical games as an evolution of text games, while books continue to enjoy success alongside films. We do not see movies as an evolution of books, they are a separate medium. I am not a visual person so I do not view images as somehow more ‘advanced’ than the word, and in fact I find words can evoke so much more than looking upon a few colored pixels.

It’s all about technological evolution. When text games ruled the scene, they did so because of technological limitations. Game developers have always had to work around technological limitations.

As for your movie comparison to books, it doesn’t really work, as they are two different mediums. You would have an argument with books and comics or silent movies and sound movies.

Total Posts: 141

Joined 2019-05-03

PM

Besides, even CYOAs and text adventures still have a market today.

In my opinion, in the current indie-friendly game climate - probably as friendly or friendlier than it ever was, and quite possible also than it ever will be again - if you can’t find a niche for your game it’s you who is doing something wrong*; not because there’s no players for your genre. There almost certainly are.

*admittedly there’s also always circumstances beyond anyone’s control, but you get the idea ^^

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

chrissie - 07 July 2019 09:36 AM

So, how are Stories Untold, Edith Finch, The Witness, Orwell, Pony Island, Sexy Brutale & Her Story unique? ..........& how would you categorise them?

I don’t really want to categorise them, although some are clearly true adventures, like Stories Untold. It’s somehow no longer important to me. I just don’t want platformers (but Pony Island is a fantastic puzzle/platform game), no RPG elements, as little action/arcade stuff as possible. 

Flower I’ve never heard of let alone played but perfect for the sub-category of experiential. The only game I could put in that category that I’ve actually played (although not to conclusion) is The Path.

I don’t agree, The Path is much more than exploring for the sake of exploring. The purpose of the game is discovering the story of each of the six girls.

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top