• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Myha: Return to the Lost Island [formerly RealMyha] From the creators of ASA and RoonSehv

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Congrats on getting a 4.5/5 review here! Thumbs Up

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 681

Joined 2015-02-06

PM

Congrats Denis and Simon for an excellent review and a well deserved 4.5/5! Thumbs Up  Thumbs Up

This message will self destruct in 3… 2… 1… BOOM!!!

Total Posts: 487

Joined 2012-10-03

PM

Many thanks to both of you Timovie and Sir Beardalot! You have always encouraged us on the forums and it really helps to read optimistic messages during the development and after release. Having in addition a great review of 4.5/5 is the icing on the cake! Let’s hope it will convince a few more people to give a chance to Myha Smile

Total Posts: 51

Joined 2014-02-08

PM

Thank you very much!
it’s really an honor to have such a good rating!
thanks to the review writer ! I think he perfectly understood the purpose with Myha (the difficulty, the level design, etc.) not perfect: he only talks very, very little about bugs and all that, it feels good to read ! for us ! a lot of good !
thank you Smile

Joined 2014-02-08

PM

Total Posts: 681

Joined 2015-02-06

PM

Awesome! Looking forward to playing through it again, such a beautiful game!

This message will self destruct in 3… 2… 1… BOOM!!!

Total Posts: 310

Joined 2018-12-01

PM

I’ve been playing Myha for a few hours. It is in many ways very beautiful, from the island itself to the sounds and music and the way it hearkens back to the days of Riven and Myst. There are however a few things holding me back from fully immersing myself in the world, and they are truly frustrating indeed. I suppose the main problem is the one I had with the previous Black Cube games, the ways it breaks the #1 rule of the puzzle game: clarity and user friendliness.

Among the problems I have had so far:
-The ‘examine’ icon is very difficult to see and I have spent most of the game squinting to see when it turns into the magnifying glass, which is not very enjoyable.
-Some icons it is unclear what they are for. For example I found something which changed the icon into a cogwheel which does nothing when I click. There should be, at the very least, an explanation what each of the icons are for.
-When I have found audio logs, the sound quality combined with the mumbling were so bad I could barely understand a single word. It doesn’t make much sense that with all this advanced technology around the recording tech would be worse than a 1980s cassette player.
-I really hope the day/night cycle has a purpose, because stumbling around in the dark (the flashlight does almost nothing) for half the game is not fun.
-Some of the puzzles could be made more user-friendly, for example the gate in the tower, the symbols were difficult to make out, and in the map on the table the number symbols are extremely small and I cannot move closer (as I would be able to do in person). Other puzzles I knew what I had to do, but the objects were simply too small to make out. For example the classroom with the number board and the rings.
-Many of the notes I have been finding it looks like I put away in my inventory, but I cannot access them. Why/why not? Are they important? If not why do I keep them?

It just seems like sometimes the game goes out of its way to throw unnecessary obstacles in the player’s way. The best Myst style games always did the opposite. Difficulty should come from the puzzles themselves. Otherwise it’s a decent game.

Update: Okay, so I’ve given up on the game. The level of pixel-hunting is ridiculous. First with the fish rock on the beach which isn’t even a rock but a shape carved into a rock and then the ‘carving’ on the wall which isn’t even a carving. I know one or both of the devs are French so I would highly suggest a fluent translator, but even then that would not excuse the hours I have spent staring at rocks to find tiny needles in haystacks. In an open environment this is simply not good design. When I have figured out where to look, that should be 99% of the puzzle: not roaming around huge environments trying to find a needle in a haystack.

Sorry guys, I really tried to like this but some of your design choices need work. I’m a massive fan of games like this and I am a big advocate of not making puzzles easy, but how many hours do you want us to spend pixel-hunting? When players on your Steam forum say “I never would have found this” without help, I would be making sure for my next game before release to test it with a completely new player. Watch them play the game. If they are wandering around aimlessly searching for items they know should be there, it’s time to make the clues clearer or the objects they need to find more visible. If they are squinting at the screen trying to make out objects that are clues for a puzzle, it’s time to add a magnify option. I really hope this is helpful because there is clearly much promise in these games and I don’t like to see it wasted by poor design choices.

Best wishes on your next projects.

Joined 2012-10-03

PM

Thanks for your feedback Vehelon. I’m sorry that you didn’t like the game… However it is very useful to know why, so I really apreciate that you took some time to share your thoughts. Please allow me to try to justify quickly on a few of the points you listed:

Regarding the level design, everyone reacts differently, some people found the clues easily, others didn’t (and we have been very careful about this during the Beta test - unfortunately the number of Beta Testers and their feedback has been very limited).
I can understand that the level design in ASA/Catyph was confusing because of my choices of cameras and gameplay (this is something I agree with, now that I can stand back and see the result), but in Myha the level design was almost entirely created by Denis and I find that he really did a good job. Of course it’s certainly better in Myst and Obduction, but we cannot compete with them at our level (we don’t even try, it’s simply not possible, compare the fundings for each game), we can’t even make a living from our creations.
Our games would without a doubt be better with more skilled people to work with us, a community/fan-base to send us feedback and support, etc, but this is not something we have unfortunately, so we’re just doing our best for our few fans, and we hope to please them at the very least. They are the ones who motivate us to continue…

Regarding the ‘fish rock’ and the fluent translation, that’s a real shame: indeed that’s what it has to be ( = a translation issue), and I still don’t get the subtlety of it…
We had proofreaders who worked with us, but it seems they missed this too. On the other hand, we did our best to offer several languages in Myha, despite the fact that the goals of our Kickstarter had not been reached, so we added these languages in our free time and with our own means, so it was difficult. I would like to take this opportunity to greet our various translators who have done a fantastic job, allowing us to add languages such as Chinese and Japanese among others.
I’m not trying to justify the result for the English localization. I simply want to try to explain why and how we got to this situation, and of course I’m sorry if it’s a problem for some of you. I am personally very difficult when there are approximations in French translations so I know how you must feel. We’re trying really hard to avoid that in our texts in all languages, but we do not have an appropriate structure and team. Again…

On another point:

@everyone

Special announcement:

For those of you who would like to play Myha with help, ask questions directly to the developer and share your thoughts with other players,
Denis is about to start a Community Playthrough on Steam (probably this weekend):
https://steamcommunity.com/app/890280/discussions/0/1645418261863515968/

Total Posts: 310

Joined 2018-12-01

PM

Thanks Simon, I appreciate and admire your hard work you put in to the game.

The playthrough is a really good idea. I may reinstall the game and join in because I don’t like having a game on my Steam list I haven’t finished.

Total Posts: 442

Joined 2006-06-14

PM

I enjoyed your game very much and was surprised at the quality from such a small studio.

There were a few puzzling moments for me like the fish clue, but then from a certain angle the rock bridge over the cove looked like a sea serpent to me and pointed in the right direction.

The planet puzzle was genius!  But I had an “uncanny valley” reaction to the giant planet when the day effect came on.  I was scared of the darn thing and couldn’t look at it!  I’ve never had that reaction to anything before.  Good one.

I liked the garbled messages.  They were reminiscent of the brothers’ in Myst.

My only annoyance was that the Day/Night effect was too short for me, even on low.

Looking forward to more great games from you!

Joined 2012-10-03

PM

Thanks a lot for your feedback Dara, this is very important for us!

I’m very happy to read that you liked the game. Yes I hope we can make new interesting things in the future Wink

Regarding the day/night cycles, you’re probably right. We did a lot of changes about this during the Beta tests, and it seemed that the result in the current version of the game was what pleased the most people.
We always try to change many things in our games to improve them, and to fit more with the expectations of players, but it’s difficult: when we change something, we lose other players who liked it more in previous games (our games or others’).
We will never be able to please everyone at our small level! Smile

Joined 2014-02-08

PM

Dara100: I enjoyed your game very much and was surprised at the quality from such a small studio.

thank you very much Dara100
as Simon says, it’s very pleasant to read and important for us!
a small studio: true, and just three people in your free-time Smile
it’s so difficult to create a video game and enjoy it

don’t hesitate to leave a review on STEAM (if you use it) it can only help us to keep creating video games for you!

Dara100: I liked the garbled messages.  They were reminiscent of the brothers’ in Myst.

Thank you very much… everyone criticizes the fact that the messages are inaudible, but did not try to see the reference
these messages are not important to the puzzle, they don’t even really help solve the puzzles, just add background for the story.
Besides, the alpha testers finished the game without these messages.

I’m glad you like it ! finally to one person Smile

Dara100: My only annoyance was that the Day/Night effect was too short for me, even on low.

the day/night cycle, is useless in the game, it was a mission I set myself to learn and add a little realism to the environment.

Originally, the night was supposed to be as long as the day, and much darker, almost impossible for the player to move.
this too I had to modify following the comments of my collaborators Smile

bye !

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top