• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Keybordz

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Guard Duty - Coming to Windows, Mac and Linux May 2nd

Total Posts: 3

Joined 2019-04-05

PM

Howdy folks, long time lurker - first time poster! I thought it was about time I put together a thread here in the forums for Guard Duty.

About Guard Duty

Guard Duty is a “Pythonesque” comedy adventure that spans two radically different time periods—the cobbled streets of medieval Wrinklewood and the future dystopia of Neo London—replete with cheeky humour, stylised cartoon pixel art, and a story that blurs the lines between fantasy and sci-fi.

Tondbert, loyal Guard to the Castle of Wrinklewood, is having a rough day. A little too much ale at the local pub, a lapse in judgment, and the next thing you know a hooded figure has slipped into the kingdom and kidnapped the princess—an event that will have consequences well into the future.

A thousand years later, in a small orbital station, Agent Starborn is a member of a resistance group embarking on a last ditch effort to overthrow evil and take back the Earth—a quest rooted in the depths of history.

Discover how these two playable characters’ fates are intertwined and you might just save humanity in the process.

The game is fully voiced, features over 70 locations and has been developed by just two people!

If you like what you see you can wishlist Guard Duty over on Steam now.  Laughing

Follow Us:

Web
Twitter
Facebook

Total Posts: 601

Joined 2014-11-29

PM

Hey Chicky, good to see you here! I’ve beta tested Guard Duty and had a lot of fun with it, it’s a game I’m looking forward to support. Woot woot!

Joined 2019-04-05

PM

Hey Liviu, nice to see you too Wink

Guard Duty is releasing in just four days!

I’m super excited! That said, we need all the help we can get spreading the word. If Guard Duty is something you might like please help support the release by sharing the Steam link with your friends, on social media or with strangers on the bus.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/872750/Guard_Duty/

Here’s another gif for your viewing pleasure:

Joined 2019-04-05

PM

Guard Duty is launching TODAY! 09:00 PT / 16:00 GMT

Any help spreading the word by sharing our Steam link is very much apprecaited:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/872750/Guard_Duty/

Total Posts: 416

Joined 2018-03-07

PM

Really looking forward to this one. Looks like a sizable and (hopefully) finely tuned adventure. Surely a labor of love after 4+ years in development. The visuals are really charming. I’ll be playing this soon.

Total Posts: 1619

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Looks cool, but does this game have actual puzzles.

Total Posts: 2060

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

It starts as a traditional comedy-fantasy adventure like Simon the Sorcerer or Discworld (and it references both occasionally), with similar graphics and (very superb) pixel animation and the sort of puzzles you’d expect to see, although most of them are easy and straightforward. I was actually expecting more of them since locations/characters felt underused and tasks - unfinished, like half of the original script was cut out. I also didn’t find it particularly funny and got really tired of long, unamusing and unrelated life stories told by each and every character. Also hated the first protagonist - an ugly, whining young alcoholic who fails at everything, one of the worst in recent memory.

During the second chapter the game turns surreal and story-driven, with fewer and fewer puzzles - and humour. At one point it got very depressing for no reason, then it made an even worse turn and lost me completely. They just had to kill an old school formula with those modern-day “meaningful” moments and plot twists that don’t really mean anything. The game then suddenly switches protagonists, time periods, even interfaces and basically turns into an interactive novel. Very few puzzles and no comedy at this point, just a sci-fi dystopian world we’ll learn very little about. And then the game ends abruptly. Too bad. Wish they just stick to their fantasy universe.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 1619

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Doom - 08 May 2019 07:59 PM

It starts as a traditional comedy-fantasy adventure like Simon the Sorcerer or Discworld (and it references both occasionally), with similar graphics and (very superb) pixel animation and the sort of puzzles you’d expect to see, although most of them are easy and straightforward. I was actually expecting more of them since locations/characters felt underused and tasks - unfinished, like half of the original script was cut out. I also didn’t find it particularly funny and got really tired of long, unamusing and unrelated life stories told by each and every character. Also hated the first protagonist - an ugly, whining young alcoholic who fails at everything, one of the worst in recent memory.

During the second chapter the game turns surreal and story-driven, with fewer and fewer puzzles - and humour. At one point it got very depressing for no reason, then it made an even worse turn and lost me completely. They just had to kill an old school formula with those modern-day “meaningful” moments and plot twists that don’t really mean anything. The game then suddenly switches protagonists, time periods, even interfaces and basically turns into an interactive novel. Very few puzzles and no comedy at this point, just a sci-fi dystopian world we’ll learn very little about. And then the game ends abruptly. Too bad. Wish they just stick to their fantasy universe.

Thanks hard pass for me then.

Total Posts: 37

Joined 2010-11-25

PM

Just to add my two cents here. I loved the fantasy medieval setting, I found the main character endearing even if he is dimwitted, the voice acting was of a high quality throughout and the story kept my interest until the end. I loved the 2d pixel art which also had some really nice animations. The shift in tone two thirds of the way through is slightly odd at first but I got used to it and would have liked to have spent more time in that setting. All in all I would definitely highly recommend the game.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top