• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

DalediegoLady Kestrelrtrooneywalas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Two Guys from Andromeda (Space Quest creators) on Kickstarter

Total Posts: 966

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

Their pitch video WAS pretty bad, in fairness. I mean it was clean and professional, but also boring and devoid of creativity. It sounds like those awful awards show presentations where two people take turns reading a teleprompter.

They should have done the video in character from their space development studio or something fun like that. Made a skit out of it, something that might appeal to someone for reasons beyond nostalgia.

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

Frogacuda - 25 May 2012 01:39 PM

I think the point was just to mark milestones with a fun reward for people to help motivate people to reach the next goal. Alas that was obscured by people that saw it more as a “demo” or a “work in progress” than the amusing diversion it was meant to be.

well, in that case, “amusing diversions” couldv been achieved with youtube videos Wink
The two guys themselves called them demos, repeatedly. And opened pandoras box in doing so, unfortunately.

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

Frogacuda - 25 May 2012 01:56 PM

Their pitch video WAS pretty bad, in fairness. I mean it was clean and professional, but also boring and devoid of creativity. It sounds like those awful awards show presentations where two people take turns reading a teleprompter.

I do think that’s what’s killing it. Tex Murphy had the best pitch video and they’ve been doing really well with less backers. In subsequent updates and the prototypes they’ve attempted to rectify that but first impressions still do ocunt. I was watching that video thinking ‘Why didn’t they get Gary Owens to say something?’

Goes to show the biggest flaw with Kickstarter. The person with the most showmanship and media attention will make their goal over talent and even experience it appears.

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

thejobloshow - 25 May 2012 05:46 PM

Goes to show the biggest flaw with Kickstarter. The person with the most showmanship and media attention will make their goal over talent and even experience it appears.

I wouldn’t really impugn the talent or experience of any of the successful Kickstarters, particularly the ones that don’t have a lot of development done already.

If you don’t have a rock-solid, well-known track record, you better have enough of your game made to show a lot of footage (Banner Saga, Grim Dawn, etc).

Total Posts: 70

Joined 2004-02-18

PM

thejobloshow - 25 May 2012 05:46 PM

That’s not very fair, though I don’t think there’s any point in getting into a “who’s the most talented and experienced?” debate with these two Kickstarters.

The fact is that Tex Murphy fans were saving up for this Kickstarter, so it had a spectacular day one. It had a very bad day two, compared to almost any big name Kickstarter including SpaceVenture, and the rest of the days haven’t been really great either. I expect getting the Tex Murphy kickstarter funded will be an uphill battle, much like the Jane Jensen Kickstarter. Fortunately they’re asking for $50k less than the SpaceVenture guys.

As for the SpaceVenture pitch video… I don’t think it’s completely unreasonable to expect a pitch for a comedy to be at least a little bit funny. They need to show they can make people laugh, as long as that is actually their intention with the game people are asked to fund.

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

Kolorabi - 25 May 2012 07:15 PM

I expect getting the Tex Murphy kickstarter funded will be an uphill battle, much like the Jane Jensen Kickstarter.

The Tex Kickstarter has done in 10 days what took Jane Jensen 28 days. Yeah, they’re asking for more and in a shorter time frame, but they are very much on pace so far.

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

Kolorabi - 25 May 2012 07:15 PM

That’s not very fair, though I don’t think there’s any point in getting into a “who’s the most talented and experienced?” debate with these two Kickstarters.

I didn’t mean that as a jab against Tex Murphy, it’s a general criticism of Kickstarter. There could be some other project doing much better than Tex Murphy not based on the talent and experience, but just on the pitch video and the promise alone.

I’ve noticed it’s become customary on many Kickstarters for RPG games (for example) where the person speaking goes “we’re going to give you an old school RPG experience that the big publishers won’t give you”. And I’m sitting here thinking um… what about Diablo III?

This is getting off track, but I just hate seeing the veterans struggling.

Total Posts: 506

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

thejobloshow - 24 May 2012 10:12 PM

I except this to get some front page news on this website! It’s very rare when the Scott Murphy and Mark Crowe release a demo!

Ta da!

Total Posts: 70

Joined 2004-02-18

PM

thejobloshow - 25 May 2012 08:45 PM

I’ve noticed it’s become customary on many Kickstarters for RPG games (for example) where the person speaking goes “we’re going to give you an old school RPG experience that the big publishers won’t give you”. And I’m sitting here thinking um… what about Diablo III?

I think you’d be flamed to Oblivion and back if you went to an RPG-forum and suggested Diablo III was anything even resembling an old-school RPG experience. Smile

Anyway, I hope SpaceVenture will make it. The text/graphics hybrid user interface sounds very interesting (never liked the typical Sierra GUI, liked their text input games much better).

Edit: Just tried the prototype. Errr…. well. Smile

Total Posts: 86

Joined 2003-09-21

PM

The air lock death made me laugh, especially the implication they’ve killed people outside of the game. Tongue

Right or wrong, weak or strong.

Total Posts: 16

Joined 2005-08-06

PM

The second prototype is certainly much improved from the first one. I also think the tweaks done to the tiers will help.

Total Posts: 4

Joined 2012-05-27

PM

Well I, for one, am excited about the prospect of getting another game from these guys. With Mark’s artwork, Scott’s sardonic wit, and science fiction comedy, not exactly sure where you can go wrong…

I made this Promo video to help the project along, since I don’t think it’s getting quite the attention it deserves:

Hope everyone enjoys, and if you have any interest show these guys some love. $15 is really not that much for a game. Truly they were helping pioneer the genre we love so much, and what brought us to this forum to begin with.

Cheers!

Total Posts: 40

Joined 2011-12-15

PM

I’m kinda sad that it got only past 50% now. I really hope we can keep pushing forward to the end!

Total Posts: 643

Joined 2006-09-24

PM

Need to average something like $18k per day to make the goal.

Total Posts: 16

Joined 2012-05-20

PM

I find random advert posts like the one above in a thread like this to be even more offensive than they’d be normally. Pan

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top