Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Telltale Developer Chat (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/telltale-developer-chat/)
-   -   The lucasarts fame (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/telltale-developer-chat/14359-lucasarts-fame.html)

The lucasarts fame

This is just a personal question, but which members came from Lucasarts and what did they do while there? I hear many people say "They made Grim Fandango" and "Monkey Island" but I never hear about what you guys actually did on the those games.

So out of curiosity, enlighten me. ;)

fov 04-14-2006 10:28 AM

You can't walk around Telltale's office without bumping into a former LucasArts employee. Of course, that could have something to do with the fact that it's a very small office. :D

This page goes into the various jobs people had before coming to Telltale...

So then these guys:

"Greg Land - Designer/Author
Heather Logas - Designer/Author
Brendan Ferguson - Designer/Author"

Designed lucasarts games, or just were designers somewhere? I'm just wondering if anyone from telltale actually had a huge designing part in the games, rather than art and coordination is all. ;)

Hammerite 04-14-2006 10:37 AM

Wasnt Dave Grossman one of the DotT project leaders or something?

Squinky 04-14-2006 10:38 AM

There's always MobyGames...

fov 04-14-2006 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by avatar_58
So then these guys:

"Greg Land - Designer/Author
Heather Logas - Designer/Author
Brendan Ferguson - Designer/Author"

Designed lucasarts games, or just were designers somewhere? I'm just wondering if anyone from telltale actually had a huge designing part in the games, rather than art and coordination is all. ;)

If you click on the bios, there is more info about each person's role.

Quote:

During this time, Ms. Logas became an intern and served as assistant producer at LucasArts on Star Wars Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy.
Quote:

Brendan was credited as a programmer on such games as Obi-Wan and Gladius by LucasArts. Unidentified sources, who spoke only under the condition of complete anonymity, indicated that Brendan also worked on the yet to be released Sam & Max: Freelance Police, as a programmer, designer, and writer.
Greg's bio doesn't mention it, but he just posted this on another thread:

Quote:

Originally Posted by DesignerGreg
Curse of Monkey Island was one of my all-time favorites - I was actually a tester on that. My experience working with the developers on that is partly what inspired me to go into writing and design...

DaveGrossman 04-14-2006 10:41 AM

Indeed, I was one of the two project leaders on Day of the Tentacle. I also did writing and design work on The Secret of Monkey Island and LeChuck's Revenge before fleeing the scene.

Hammerite 04-14-2006 10:42 AM

i thought you did Monkey Island 3 too, didnt you?

HeatherLee 04-14-2006 10:42 AM

I actually was not a designer at LucasArts. I shouldn't speak for others (because I'll probably get something wrong) but I think the only ones in the office who did design at LucasArts are Dave Grossman and Greg Land.

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeatherLee
I actually was not a designer at LucasArts. I shouldn't speak for others (because I'll probably get something wrong) but I think the only ones in the office who did design at LucasArts are Dave Grossman and Greg Land.

Thanks. :)

Melanie68 04-14-2006 10:44 AM

And you guys have some cool LA memorabilia in your headquarters too. :P

kbruner 04-14-2006 10:45 AM

I was hired as the systems programmer for the Grime Engine, and worked very very closely with Tim and Brett while bringing Grim Fandango to life. Then I was the lead on one of LEC's first XBox game, ObiWan, and the lead on Sam & Max. Before that I worked mostly on Helicopter and Flight games.

I still have the "Biker fleeing Mt. Fuji while getting chased by the Grim reaper while getting attacked by eagles" black velvet painting the Tim gave me at the end of Grim hanging in my office. That one took a little explaining when the investors came around....

DesignerGreg 04-14-2006 12:05 PM

I got to worked for a while as a Level Designer for Full Throttle 2, before that got cancelled. That was one of my greatest experiences at LucasArts...

By the time I moved into design, the company was moving it's center to action titles, so i was lucky to work on FT2.

I was also Lead Level designer for Republic Commando, and Star Wars: Jedi Starfighter.

-greg

Quote:

Originally Posted by DesignerGreg
I got to worked for a while as a Level Designer for Full Throttle 2, before that got cancelled. That was one of my greatest experiences at LucasArts...

By the time I moved into design, the company was moving it's center to action titles, so i was lucky to work on FT2.

I was also Lead Level designer for Republic Commando, and Star Wars: Jedi Starfighter.

-greg

If you don't mind me asking, why was Full Throttle 2 and Sam'n Max 2 cancelled?

Karmillo 04-14-2006 12:11 PM

I thought it was because it wasnt the time to release an adventure game :P

Dasilva 04-14-2006 12:16 PM

And are there any details you could tell us about the features Full Throttle 2 and Sam'n Max 2 would have if they were released?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karmillo
I thought it was because it wasnt the time to release an adventure game :P

Oh please, no one buys that excuse. ;)

kbruner 04-14-2006 12:21 PM

Obviously we can't comment on why those games were cancelled. But I think the info that's out there represents things well enough.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kbruner
Obviously we can't comment on why those games were cancelled. But I think the info that's out there represents things well enough.

Do you feel they were quality though? I'm confused why Lucasarts decided to cancel those games, when its clear they would have at least equaled or exceded the sales of the originals. The fans need more ;)

I just assumed they took the stance of other companies and wrongfully assumed we no longer play adventure games.

DaveGrossman 04-14-2006 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammerite
i thought you did Monkey Island 3 too, didnt you?

No, that would be Jonathan Ackley and Larry Ahern. Who did rather a nice job, I thought.